Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

O Lucky Stevie!

Quote from: Roger Godpleton on 03 January, 2011, 12:17:24 AM
Dude, I'm a fucking a primate.

Glad to hear that you've that gotten religon there Roger.

Stevie's just finished re-reading the first 3 Swamp Thing hardcovers as a refresher for the impending publication of the fourth.

He quite evidently had forgotten about all the vulvic imagery sprinkled throughout Moore's run.

"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Jared Katooie on 03 January, 2011, 04:42:02 AM
He's an ape!

Well said that man. The whole ape / monkey thing is one of my bugbears.

As for Gorilla Grood, surely his primate nature is the last thing that should be used to dismiss any sense that he can be chilling. The fact that he's called Gorilla Grood should get top honours?

Still very scary mammal with no tail and self awareness.

TordelBack

Have you see The Brave and the Bold cartoon episode where Grodd turns Bats into a gorilla, and naturally the tables get tunred and Grodd gets turned into a human?  Arsom stuff!

Kerrin

"Memoir of a British Agent" by R.H Bruce Lockhart, a most redoubtable Scot. I thought it may turn out to be a bit dry but it's a damn good read. The Bolshevik Revolution and that surrounding area of history is not something I was previously au fait with. This recounting, whilst lacking the full barbaric details, takes you back to the time in both language and atmosphere. Excellent.

vzzbux

Just polished off book 1 of the walking dead today. Couldn't put it down.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

Jared Katooie

You poor man.

Just joking! It gets worse as it goes on (in my opinion).

Colin YNWA

Quote from: TordelBack on 03 January, 2011, 10:03:30 PM
Have you see The Brave and the Bold cartoon episode where Grodd turns Bats into a gorilla, and naturally the tables get tunred and Grodd gets turned into a human?  Arsom stuff!

Alas not seen that one. Do love me some Brave and the Bold must track down the DVDs

Mardroid

Handling the Undead by John Ajvide Lindqvist.

I only found out after borrowing it that it's the same author as Let the Right One In, (which I haven't read, or watched yet).

Anyway, it's a very interesting handling of the ol' Zombie story*. Really a story about bereavement and coping with it. ([spoiler]Particularly when your dead ones come back. Sort of.[/spoiler])

*[spoiler]For one thing, these zombies are not aggressive and don't eat people. (So far) Yet they are still rather chilling in their own way.[/spoiler]

Mardroid

On the comic front, I bought a PSP recently and downloaded a couple of free comics for the application. The first episode of Ex Machina was available, and I've read good things so I thought I'd give it a go. Not bad as a start out episode.

As for the comic reader application, it works pretty well. It's not as good as having a physical comic in you hands, and I can certain see why people favour the Ipad for this type of thing (bigger really is better for these things...although I've noticed a whole bunch of other tablet PC things that are way cheaper than Ipad... Archos for example. I'm not sure how well they fare with comic applications and the large graphic files involved, though.) but the reader application really does make good use of the size. Autoflow feels a bit like one is chasing the speech bubbles, but used alongside standard scroll it works pretty well.

Colin YNWA

Finished Charley's War book 7 The Great Mutiny last night. Now not sure if I imagined it but I seem to remember someone here saying that even by the high standards of this series this volume was particularly good, if they did I whole heartily agree. Superb stuff with such a great diversity of ways the tales are told and the seamless way Charley changes role so different aspects of the conflict are examined. The other thing that struck me, even by 2000ad standards there's so much story in the 90ish pages here. Doesn't seemed rushed in anyway just compact and brilliantly told.

Long may this series continue.

IAMTHESYSTEM

Reading 'Ancient My Enemy' short stories by Sci Fi author Gordon R Dickson. Bit different from my usual Military tech or Phildickian Cyber Punk schlock.

Very misanthropic [so far] about human nature and the civilizing effect that technology is supposed to bring to us. No wonder I'm enjoying it so.

The one about the smug Lawyer who bamboozles a Super computer to humilate a meterologists faith in his new computer infrastructure is nicely acidic.
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

Zarjazzer

"Fable" (as in the computer game) by Peter David which is the reason I tried it. Good yet I found it a bit of a chore about two thirds through. It was rolling along nicely enough only parts seemed very contrived(all stories are I suppose), but the ending made me glad I stuck with it.

that said I'll stick to my military sci-fi I think for the moment.

The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

House of Usher

I started reading Twelfth Night on Twelfth Night, but I came to the conclusion after Act II that it was a bit shit. I'll finish it when I can fit it in around work.

Then there's work, for which I'm reading Hamlet. Notes made up to the end of Act II. Act III to follow within the week, plus some Macbeth. I'll be glad when the reading/teaching is done, then I can actually do some writing.

(The Mighty Emperor knows which writing I'm on about!)
STRIKE !!!

vzzbux

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 08 January, 2011, 10:27:20 AM
Finished Charley's War book 7 The Great Mutiny last night. Now not sure if I imagined it but I seem to remember someone here saying that even by the high standards of this series this volume was particularly good, if they did I whole heartily agree. Superb stuff with such a great diversity of ways the tales are told and the seamless way Charley changes role so different aspects of the conflict are examined. The other thing that struck me, even by 2000ad standards there's so much story in the 90ish pages here. Doesn't seemed rushed in anyway just compact and brilliantly told.

Long may this series continue.

Just about to start mine.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

HOO-HAA

Quote from: Mardroid on 04 January, 2011, 10:18:08 PM
Handling the Undead by John Ajvide Lindqvist.

Excellent book! :)

Very melancholic take on the zombie formula. Very much a character-driven story that one would imagine would be difficult to translate to the big screen. However, at the World Horror Con last year, John confimred the rights to the movie had been picked up.

I'm re-reading Philip K  Dick's DO ANDROIDS DREAM OF ELECTRIC SHEEP. It's certainly good, but I would have to say that for me the BLADERUNNER movie is better.