Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keef Monkey

Halfway through 'The Strain' by Guillermo Del Toro and Chuck Hogan, really enjoying it. It feels like ages since I read a straight horror novel. Curious what the collaboration was, wondering if Del Toro was the ideas man while Hogan 'wrote' it if you know what I mean.

HOO-HAA

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 20 January, 2011, 08:55:04 AM
Halfway through 'The Strain' by Guillermo Del Toro and Chuck Hogan, really enjoying it. It feels like ages since I read a straight horror novel. Curious what the collaboration was, wondering if Del Toro was the ideas man while Hogan 'wrote' it if you know what I mean.

Yeah, this has been on my 'curious to read' list for a while. And I wondered myself where Del Toro fits in - I haven't read any Hogan, but is the writing very much his style?

mogzilla

despite having a few Hellboy novels gathering dust i have only just started getting round to reading them ,on "the fire wolves" now.

O Lucky Stevie!

Quote from: satchmo on 19 January, 2011, 11:08:20 AM
Supposedly it's not great, but it has clone Nazis in it so I don't see how. I'm really quite excited.

Having stalled on the first couple of chapters on 4 separate occasions, Stevie is mighty interested to hear how you go with this Satchmo.
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

satchmo

I'll let you know Stevie, if the swine ever turns up! In the meantime I'm reading Alastair Reynolds' Revelation Space, thanks to the generosity of our Enigmatic Dr X. Enjoying it so far, intrigued why all these people are a bit French...

TordelBack

Read Charles Burns' X'ed Out, which the county library was uncharacteristically quick about getting in.  Really fantastic stuff, hadn't realised it was a multi-volume project and was totally delighted to see a 'Next:' on the last page.  A book I had to re-read the minute I finished it, and then again this morning:  dense, unsettling, beautifully designed and intriguing.  Highly recommended, but how long until the next part?  Who does he think he is, Kevin O'Neill?   ;)

I, Cosh

Edward Tufte's Visual Display of Quantitative Information. Very interesting stuff on the whys and wherefores of useful and meaningful graphing.
We never really die.

Keef Monkey

Quote from: HOO-HAA on 20 January, 2011, 01:02:32 PM
Quote from: Keef Monkey on 20 January, 2011, 08:55:04 AM

Yeah, this has been on my 'curious to read' list for a while. And I wondered myself where Del Toro fits in - I haven't read any Hogan, but is the writing very much his style?

Never read him either, I just assume he's probably handling the prose side of things because I've always got the impression Del Toro's english (while brilliant) isn't quite this slick. It really is a well written wee page-turner so far.

SmallBlueThing

Thanks largely to the incredible generosity of this board, and some sickness which has led me to having a great deal of time to read over the last week, ive been ploughing through Arthur C Clarke's 'monolith' books.
I have no idea why i assumed these would be dull or plodding, because my lovely grud, they're stonking. Fast paced, obviously very clever in their inclusion of contemporary scientific theory, with surprisingly honest characterisation. I expected sterility in the characters and grand, sweeping science- instead, the people are vibrant, the locations vivid and the science, obviously, breathtaking.
Im about to start the final book, 3001, and am genuinely sad to be winding it all up. I also cant wait to find out what the monoliths want, if anything.

Yes, there are problems. The repetition of passages from book to book is annoying, and Clarke's changing of the narrative in 2010 to fit kubrick's version of 2001 smacks of his preference to rolling over in the face of the film maker's bullying (hinted at in Clarke's intros). I'd've liked him to stick to his version, especially as ive not seen either movie in decades, and didnt particularly enjoy either.

Anyway, loved them so far. Clarke rules.

SBT

Roger Godpleton

Sacco's Footnotes in Gaza. For some reason I have previously overlooked Sacco's prowess as a visual artist, but he really gets inside of his subjects.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

mogzilla

Quote from: Roger Godpleton on 22 January, 2011, 10:17:36 PM
Sacco's Footnotes in Gaza. For some reason I have previously overlooked Sacco's prowess as a visual artist, but he really gets inside of his subjects.
who are you and what have you done with roger? ;)

House of Usher

I'm reading The Revenger's Tragedy. Again.
STRIKE !!!

HOO-HAA

Revisiting the Dragonlance Chronicles from my youth, kicking off with Dragons of Autumn Twilight. Brilliant stuff!

Michaelvk

Just bought Anthony Beevor's D-day..
You have never felt pain until you've trodden barefoot on an upturned lego brick..

TordelBack

Quote from: Michaelvk on 23 January, 2011, 01:17:18 PM
Just bought Anthony Beevor's D-day..

Outstanding stuff.  I'm not much of a one for the military histories, but everything about D-Day, and Beevor's account, is gobsmacking.