Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Quote from: Mikey on 27 January, 2011, 12:47:51 PM
For shame! It was a bit of an abrupt finish...

Aye, I loved Matter, and while a little taken aback by the rapid Chekov's Gun resolution, I thought it was one of his richest, most thought-provoking Culture outings.  I have Surface Detail teasing me from across the room, but I'm saving it for when I really need it.  For now Stephen Baxter's Ark is keeping me entertained. 

Mikey

Ark is still languishing on my to read, um, mound I suppose is the only way to describe it at the minute. How does it measure up to Flood? I wasn't so keen on Flood personally (as I probably mentioned on here) and it's put me off a bit. Though there will be space ships an that I take it? Any talking squid?

M.
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

Richmond Clements

Quote from: TordelBack on 27 January, 2011, 12:54:38 PM

Aye, I loved Matter, and while a little taken aback by the rapid Chekov's Gun resolution, I thought it was one of his richest, most thought-provoking Culture outings.  I have Surface Detail teasing me from across the room, but I'm saving it for when I really need it.  For now Stephen Baxter's Ark is keeping me entertained. 

Yes, me too- Surface Detail is taunting me... but I've just got another book through to review after thinking after the one I'm reading at the moment I could get to one of my own choice...

I adored Matter, although I admit the ending was... something of a shock. I love the enormous pun he has injected into the plot though- the literal [spoiler]deus ex machina[/spoiler] is quite brilliant.

El Chivo

Just finished The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon - Stephen King
Really good, any other recommendations in the 'triumph over adversity' genre?
If not gonna give World War Z a go

Cheers

Chi

TordelBack

Quote from: Mikey on 27 January, 2011, 03:04:17 PM
How does it measure up to Flood?

I'm about halfway through, and I'm really enjoying it.  I was a bit surprised that I enjoyed Flood as much as I did (I only got as a bit of an afterthought due to a Waterstones 3 for 2 deal, since I'm trying to avoid end-of-the-world stuff these days), but I thought it had some fantastic scenes and images, and a suitably relentless type of horror to it, albeit softened by the improbability of the disaster.

Ark addresses the same story from a very different angle, one of hope and ingenuity amidst the desperation, rather than the despair and disintegration that characterised Flood.  Its message is 'think big - no, bigger than that', and it's a good one.  If I'd been Baxter I'd possibly have made them into one longer cheerier book, because so far they seem more like parallel tales than a series, but I'm sure there are economic considerations there.  

It also makes a very interesting companion volume to Baxter's earlier classic Titan, combining the harsh reality of that novel with a more forgiving scientific environment, presenting fairly far-out solutions to essentially the same logistical problems.  I don't know where it's going yet, but I love a good generation-ship story, and survival/colonisation at the end, so I'm hoping for both of those

So yes, there is a very awesome spaceship, and I'm still holding out for talking squid.  There are few stories that can't be improved by the addition of exotic cephalopods.

Kerrin

Quote from: Kerrin on 27 January, 2011, 12:01:51 AM
Really enjoyed this. A return to form with the Culture novels after the relatively disappointing (to me) 'Matter'.

'Relatively' disappointing is the key there, I'll still be rereading it this year and, as with all the 'M' Banks books, enjoying it more on a second run. I honestly didn't think I'd get the same 'hit' from rereading 'Excession' or 'Use of Weapons', but whadya know? 'Matter' knocks most other modern sci-fi into a wittily sentient heavily armed hat but compared to my Culture favourites it just didn't quite do it for me.

Mikey

Yeah, fair do's - Excession didn't really do it for me as it happens.

M
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

Kerrin

Joe Abercrombie's latest 'The Heroes'. So far, so good.

Richmond Clements

Drop Dead Gorgeous by... some guy.

SmallBlueThing

Well, after loving arthur c clarke's rendezvous with rama, i gave rama 2 two hundred pages before giving up. Horrible, boring characters, appalling dialogue, a snail's pace and most importantly it doesnt even seem to exist in the same 'universe'. Everything is wrong, and it reads like a belated rewrite, attempting to dismiss the original's more charming elements. Like a modern remake of a classic film. Just... Yuck.

So ive moved on to good old ben bova, and another of his 'grand tour' novels: this time, mercury. All good so far, though the image of george takei as the central character is distracting.

SBT

HOO-HAA

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 31 January, 2011, 09:22:38 AM

Aha! Did Snowbooks send you one, then?

How's it going for you?

(please like it!)

:P

Richmond Clements

Quote from: HOO-HAA on 31 January, 2011, 12:31:32 PM
Quote from: Richmond Clements on 31 January, 2011, 09:22:38 AM

Aha! Did Snowbooks send you one, then?

How's it going for you?

(please like it!)

:P

Yeah- I just asked for a pdf- quicker ans easier!

And so far so good!
I never get tired of the 'I know where that is!' feeling!

Bolt-01

I'm currently half way through the Culled by Si Spurrier. Got it from ReadItSwapIt and I'm really enjoying it. Throwaway page turning trash culture. Result!

HOO-HAA

I'm still re-reading the Dragonlance Chronicles from my youth. Good, clean dragon-slaying fun! :)

O Lucky Stevie!

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 31 January, 2011, 12:24:42 PM
Well, after loving arthur c clarke's rendezvous with rama, i gave rama 2 two hundred pages before giving up.

Wise move SBT. You don't need to claw through 1000 pages to learn that [spoiler]Rama was built by God.[/spoiler][spoiler] Dead set.[/spoiler]  ::)

Clarke's collaborations are mostly the work of his co-authors (Arthur was generally involved in the initial plotting) & for the most part aren't generally  recommended even for completists. Even the ones with Baxter are pretty underwhelming in comparison to either's solo output.
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"