Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HdE

I just read the two hardback editions of 'Ultimate Iron man'.

I don't generally enjoy Marvel comics, but talk of this series being self contained (plus, I picked up both volumes SUPER cheap) won me over.

Solid read. However, I did find the content quite sadistic in places. And the final chapter was a bit messy, with some pretty jarring storytelling.

Big spoiler:
[spoiler]I was NOT a fan of Niafra getting a bullet in the head while she was tied up and defenseless. [/spoiler]
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/

Paul faplad Finch

I've been threatening to read it for months (and have actally owned it for years, carting it along on 3 seperate house moves)but have nevergoten around to it until now, despite eveyone tellingme it wasabsoluey awesome. Everyone was right.

Weaveworld. loody beautiful. Couple of hundred pages to go. Don't want it to end.
It doesn't mean that round my way
Pessimism is Realism - Optimism is Insanity
The Impossible Quest
Musings Of A Nobody
Stuff I've Read

Richmond Clements

QuoteWeaveworld. loody beautiful. Couple of hundred pages to go. Don't want it to end.

Yes. One of my favourite books ever.
"Nothing ever begins."

Dunk!

Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy.

Beautifully written, but so harsh as to take your breath away.
"Trust we"

Keef Monkey

Finished the Pegg book (Nerd Do Well) last night. Really enjoyed it, it's less about his life story (although there is some of that in there he doesn't get into too many juicy details) and more about how all his childhood geeky dreams have come true. I did occasionally find myself feeling insanely jealous at all the childhood heroes he's now mates with, then remembered that I never wrote Spaced or Shaun of The Dead so it's hard to grudge him his good fortune. A likeable chap, a good book.

Reckon it's the second Del Toro book for me now ('The Fall').

Paul faplad Finch

I'd like to apologise for the shocking spelling and whatnot in my earlier post.

As good as Weaveworld is, it's wonders have not melted my bran to the point that I can no longer type, but rather my keyboard is playing silly beggars. Again. Only registering half of my keystrokes.

Took me almost 10 minutes to type this. Nightmare.

I mean come on! wasabsoluey! What's all that about?
It doesn't mean that round my way
Pessimism is Realism - Optimism is Insanity
The Impossible Quest
Musings Of A Nobody
Stuff I've Read

Keef Monkey

Quote from: Paul faplad Finch on 10 February, 2011, 07:58:23 PM
I'd like to apologise for the shocking spelling and whatnot in my earlier post.

As good as Weaveworld is, it's wonders have not melted my bran to the point that I can no longer type, but rather my keyboard is playing silly beggars. Again. Only registering half of my keystrokes.

Took me almost 10 minutes to type this. Nightmare.

I mean come on! wasabsoluey! What's all that about?

That's ok, Weaveworld rendered me a bit mental too. Can't rave about that book enough.

Ignatzmonster

Cross Game Vol 1- a baseball/romance manga by Mitsuru Adachi. I know it's not going to sound at all worthwhile to the readers of tooth but I'd still recommend it. I consider Adachi to be the Austen of manga. His stories are on one hand just good fun, but underneath it all is a hint of melancholy and an enormous amount of craft. And the baseball thing I think could be easily overcome, I've read some of Wodehouse's cricket stories despite knowing nothing about the game.

The Fourth World Omnibus Vol 3. Ah Kirby, he was both too naive and harsh for me as a boy but now in my thirties I get it. He belongs to a group of comic artists I refer to as The Immoderates. Other Immoderates include Gilbert Hernandez, Osamu Tezuka, Pat Mills, and Alejandro Jodorowsky.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Ignatzmonster on 11 February, 2011, 02:55:32 AM
The Fourth World Omnibus Vol 3. Ah Kirby, he was both too naive and harsh for me as a boy but now in my thirties I get it. He belongs to a group of comic artists I refer to as The Immoderates. Other Immoderates include Gilbert Hernandez, Osamu Tezuka, Pat Mills, and Alejandro Jodorowsky.

With you there I'm on a real Jack Kirby thing at the moment. Mainly as a writer. Don't get me wrong I love his art (these days when I was younger didn't really get him) but his writing is just imagination unbound and I love it.

Mikey

Quote from: Paul faplad Finch on 10 February, 2011, 07:58:23 PM
wasabsoluey!

I think this should become part of the forum lexicon, much like 'arsom' has. It has a nice, organic feel to it I think. Or it makes you sound like Alan Hanson - 'Tha' defendin wasabsoluey crap'

M.
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

Hoagy

My mate's just got Top best selling sci-fi book, Orson Scott Card's Enders Game.

Is it a worthy winner, to those who have read it?
"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
"Man, you come right out of a comic book. "
Previously Krombasher.

https://www.deviantart.com/fantasticabstract

TordelBack

Quote from: Krombasher on 11 February, 2011, 12:02:11 PM
My mate's just got Top best selling sci-fi book, Orson Scott Card's Enders Game.

Yes, it's a very good story, perhaps a little padded up from the original shorter version.  OSC is an oddball, and some of his views are pretty odious, but he can write - his Maps in a Mirror short story collection is magnificent,

Albion

Quote from: Krombasher on 11 February, 2011, 12:02:11 PM

I liked it but the second one, Speaker for the dead is much better. I haven't read any more of the Ender books, I've heard that some are very poor.

Totally agree with the others who give high praise to Weaveworld. Arsom book.
Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side.

exilewood

On a bit of an American kick - "Grapes of Wrath" - one of those books I never got 'round to before & it's fantastic.

And also "Maggie Cassidy" by Kerouac. I've read this before, but I'm systematically re-reading all Kerouac's books at the moment.

strontium_dog_90

Just read "The Hilliker Curse: My Pursuit of Women" by James Ellroy - got through it in one five hour stretch. It's a pretty intense and yet strangely uplifting little memoir.