Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rog69

I'm about a third of the way through Perdido Street Station by China Mieville. I've had this house brick of a book sitting on my in-pile since Christmas but I am so glad I've finally gotten around to it because I'm enjoying it immensely.

It's the first one of his that I've read too, so I'm looking forward to reading the rest of his work.

Prior to that I read The Affinity Bridge by George Mann, it was quite enjoyable if a little predictable but I did like the alternate Victorian era steam punk setting so I'll probably look out the next on in the series too.

TordelBack

Quote from: Rog69 on 25 April, 2011, 10:40:52 PM
I'm about a third of the way through Perdido Street Station by China Mieville.

Stunningly good, isn't it?  I find Mieville a bit uneven, but Perdido Street Station, The Scar and the magnificent Kraken more than justify his place of honour on my shelf.

Paul faplad Finch

I too have had Perdido...sat gathering dust for a good while, another one of those bought with good intentions and then forgotten about. I bought it with another one of his which I can't remember the name of at the moment. Not that City and the City one that everyone raved about, it was before that came out. Gah, that's gonna plague me now.

Anyway, I had been debating with myself whether I should start reading them once I finally get caught up with the Horus Heresy stuff. (I'm about to start Nemesis, so not long now.)

It's either going to be him or the Otherworld stuff by Tad Williams. The problem with that is I was kind of thinking of the Memory... books as my next fantasy sequence after the (god-awful) Vampire Diaries and two seperate series by the same author might not be the best idea.

None of which is gonna happen until I finish 206 Bones by Kathy Reichs, although her stuff is usually a quick'ish read once you settle into it.
It doesn't mean that round my way
Pessimism is Realism - Optimism is Insanity
The Impossible Quest
Musings Of A Nobody
Stuff I've Read

Kerrin

Quote from: TordelBack on 25 April, 2011, 10:47:37 PM
the magnificent Kraken

That's good enough for me. I was a bit disappointed by 'The Iron Council' but I'll give 'Kraken' a shot on that recommendation TB.

SmallBlueThing

Quote from: Kerrin on 25 April, 2011, 10:54:21 PM
Quote from: TordelBack on 25 April, 2011, 10:47:37 PM
the magnificent Kraken

That's good enough for me. I was a bit disappointed by 'The Iron Council' but I'll give 'Kraken' a shot on that recommendation TB.

Yeah, and me. I've been reading Mieville since 'King Rat'- which doesn't seem to be available anymore, and I've lost my copy- and found 'Perdido Street Station' utterly immersive and breathtaking. So much so, that I don't think I ever finished it because the thought of it actually ending began to feel like a personal loss, and I put it aside "to pick it up later". Never did. Probably subconsiously on purpose.

It really is the betelgeusian's bollocks. One of the most astonishing and marvellous books I've ever nearly read all of. I've yet to read 'Kraken', but have been sniffing and fondling it in Waterstone's since it was in hardback. I'll get it this week, as I really don't think I'm going to finish 'The Dragon Factory'- last night a unicorn appeared in it. That's enough for me.

Interestingly (or not) Mieville is a good friend of a good friend of mine. The same one who knows Frankie Boyle. I spend my time playing great "Six Degrees of Separation" games here!

SBT

TordelBack

Quote from: Kerrin on 25 April, 2011, 10:54:21 PM
I was a bit disappointed by 'The Iron Council'

Me too - I subsequently read a short-story collection of Mieville's that I found very repetitive, and decided I'd had enough of him for a while.  Kraken changed my mind completely.  It's a different beast altogether, some familiar Gaimany tropes given wonderful exuberant life, with a mass of engaging characters, a cohesive world and most significantly a satisfying mystery at the heart of the plot.  I finished it heartily wishing there would be a sequel, just so I could spend some more time with the characters.  That's good writing in my book.

Kerrin

Ordered! And what's more I got the hardback, new, P+P included, for £3.65 on Amazon marketplace. Blimey. Ordered the next (for me), in the Aubrey/Maturin odyssey by O'Brian as well, 'Desolation Island'. I can't get enough of these at the moment, they're some of the finest writing I've ever had the fortune to enjoy. Worth it just for the dry wit displayed.

TordelBack

Quote from: Kerrin on 25 April, 2011, 11:36:02 PM
Ordered the next (for me), in the Aubrey/Maturin odyssey by O'Brian as well, 'Desolation Island'.

There's a scene in that one that may be my favourite action sequence in any novel, ever. The sheer terror of it gives me goosebumps even writing about it now.  Enjoy!

I, Cosh

Just finished Alastair Reynolds' Redemption Ark.  I wasn't terribly keen on Revelation Space, but really enjoyed the short story collection I read, so picked this up from the library. Unfortunately, like it's predecessor, this book could easily have stood to lose 300 pages. It follows what appears to be the standard template for sci-fi in the Iain M Banks age. Two or three seemingly unconnected characters whose narratives meander inconsequentially all over the place as they gradually intertwine, leading to a final tenth of the book where something actually happens.

I feel certain I will be compelled to read the third one at some point but I'm not really looking forward to it.
We never really die.

Spaceghost

Quote from: The Cosh on 25 April, 2011, 11:57:42 PM
Just finished Alastair Reynolds' Redemption Ark.  I wasn't terribly keen on Revelation Space, but really enjoyed the short story collection I read, so picked this up from the library. Unfortunately, like it's predecessor, this book could easily have stood to lose 300 pages. It follows what appears to be the standard template for sci-fi in the Iain M Banks age. Two or three seemingly unconnected characters whose narratives meander inconsequentially all over the place as they gradually intertwine, leading to a final tenth of the book where something actually happens.

I feel certain I will be compelled to read the third one at some point but I'm not really looking forward to it.

I've just ordered Redemption Ark from Amazon. I did really enjoy Revelation Space though, and I'm looking forward to this one. I know what you mean about the page count but having just read Pandora's Star and Judas Unchained by Peter F Hamilton, both with over 1,000 pages, Alastair Reynolds books seem quite light by comparison.

Was Zima Blue the short story collection you read? I got that in The Works for 3 quid and bloody loved it.

Have you read House of Suns, also by Reynolds? It's fantastic and one of my favourite SF books.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

I, Cosh

Quote from: Lee Bates on 26 April, 2011, 11:45:55 AM
Was Zima Blue the short story collection you read? I got that in The Works for 3 quid and bloody loved it.
No, it was Galactic North. I did buy Zima Blue from The Works a few weeks ago, but it's languishing beneath a pile of library books at the moment. I've not read any other Reynolds.

1000 pages of anything is too much. Except the Bible and that's more of a greatest hits compilation anyway. Do writers think that long is the same as epic? And don't they have editors?
We never really die.

Kerrin

I find Alastair Reynolds a bit odd in as much that his short stories are almost all superb and full of wonderful characters, whereas his longer fiction, especially the earlier stuff, seems rather cold and inhuman. Yeah, I know it's sci-fi, and largely concerned with galaxy gobbling swarm entities and what have you but there's an odd metallic tang to them. Sorry, that's somewhat synaesthesic. The ideas are brilliant and the environments wonderfully realised, yet rather remote on an individual character level and carbon cold in the immediate scenery. A notable exception is "Century Rain", where I actually found myself giving a shit about the characters. Mind you, that's more of an alternate reality story than deep, interstellar sci-fi.

His later stuff has improved on this front though. In my 'umble opinion.

Spaceghost

Quote from: Kerrin on 26 April, 2011, 07:15:17 PM
I find Alastair Reynolds a bit odd in as much that his short stories are almost all superb and full of wonderful characters, whereas his longer fiction, especially the earlier stuff, seems rather cold and inhuman. Yeah, I know it's sci-fi, and largely concerned with galaxy gobbling swarm entities and what have you but there's an odd metallic tang to them. Sorry, that's somewhat synaesthesic. The ideas are brilliant and the environments wonderfully realised, yet rather remote on an individual character level and carbon cold in the immediate scenery. A notable exception is "Century Rain", where I actually found myself giving a shit about the characters. Mind you, that's more of an alternate reality story than deep, interstellar sci-fi.

His later stuff has improved on this front though. In my 'umble opinion.

I certainly felt a similar way about the writing of the characters in Revelation Space although it didn't really spoil my enjoyment of the book.

The aforementioned House of Suns is populated with really well written, sympathetic characters.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

Kerrin

Quote from: Lee Bates on 26 April, 2011, 07:21:01 PM
The aforementioned House of Suns is populated with really well written, sympathetic characters.

Absolutely Lee! His later work has really picked up in that department. Like you, I did enjoy the earlier books but there was a weird background vibe to them. It could be as simple as Reynolds coming from a scientific background and gradually developing his character writing under the guidance of helpful editorial staff who spotted the same thing.

HOO-HAA

Just finished Brian Keene's URBAN GOTHIC.

I reviewed it on my weblog, as I intend to do with everything I enjoy...

'After their car breaks down in inner-city Philadelphia, a young group of friends seek solace in an old, ruined house. When the teenagers don't emerge, a group of local kids seek the help of disillusioned old stalwart, Perry Watkins, to lead the rescue party. But deep inside the house are monstrosities that neither local nor outsider can fathom...

I've enjoyed several of Brian Keene's horror novels prior to reading URBAN GOTHIC, his tribute to horror veteran, Edward Lee (here seeing re-release through Deadite Press). Keene once described himself as a blue collar horror writer. I love to read about ordinary people in extraordinary situations and Keene writes 'working class' (for want of a better expression) characters that are believable, flawed and engaging...' 

READ MORE: http://waynesimmons.org/blog/?p=474

Up next, Guy N Smith's BLOODSHOW...