Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HOO-HAA

Finished novelisation of THE RESIDENT (Francis Cottam). An entertaining read. Pretty much adds up to a thriller/ slasher horror story, borrowing a little from that Michael Keaton movie where he's the neighbour from hell. I'd definitely recommend it.

Reading LITTLE GIRL LOST by Richard Aleas now, with Brian Keene's A GATHERING OF CROWS awaiting... 

HdE

Decided to continue my dabbling with super hero comics by grabbing the entire collection of Ms Marvel trades.

The quality veers from 'somewhat lame' to 'really quite brilliant' - on the whole, I'm enjoying this stuff. But I'll say this - Marvel's habit of embroiling their characters in massive, multi-title crossovers and events is REALLY annoying.

So - as with Astonishing X Men before it, this confirms my feeling of 'quite good fun, but never again.'
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/

Mardroid

The Wintersmith by Terry Pratchett.

I think it's one of the novels aimed more for younger readers, but I'm enjoying it as much as the other discworld novels. (Partly cos I like the witch stories.) This has an interesting unusual premise. Very interesting so far.

TordelBack

Quote from: Mardroid on 27 May, 2011, 08:43:30 PM
The Wintersmith by Terry Pratchett.

Excellent book, totally gripping.  'Younger Readers' they may be, but the Tiffany Aching books are as good as anything Pratchett has ever done, and some thought-provoking sequences may be his very best. 

House of Usher

Quote from: HdE on 27 May, 2011, 06:18:57 PM
Decided to continue my dabbling with super hero comics by grabbing the entire collection of Ms Marvel trades.

My childhood favourite (the only Ms Marvel comic I had!) was the one that featured Modok, the Agents of A.I.M. and Deathbird!!! Yaaaay!

:D
STRIKE !!!

HdE

Y'know, I gotta say - before it comes off as I only have lukewarm / negative stuff to say about the Ms. Marvel stuff  - the way the collections are handled is really great. Annuals and specials are in there as well as the core stories. I approve.

And in fact, one volume contains the one shots 'Scavengers' and 'Return Of The Storyteller' - both very fine efforts.

'Scavengers' co-stars Spider Man, and is a lot of fun just for the spiky banter the two heroes sling back and forth. 'Return of The Storyteller is just a masterfully written comic with some neat ideas in it. It's a really amusing flight of fancy. 
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/

HOO-HAA

Plus, Ms Marvel is insanely hot.

:D

Colin YNWA

Not wishing to cover stuff that should be in Classified I'm going to be putting a load of Ms Marvel comics onto eBay tomorrow. Including a complete run of the first series... you know if people want to see how insanely hot she is!

M.I.K.

Bought a new copy of the first Pan Book of Horror Stories yesterday. Hope they reprint some of the others. I've got loads of Fontana collections and a couple of Armadas from when I was a kid, but not many Pans.

SmallBlueThing

MIK, my local 2nd hand bookshop usually has a selection of the less-rare pans going for a quid or so each, if you want dibs.
SBT

M.I.K.

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 28 May, 2011, 03:37:27 PM
MIK, my local 2nd hand bookshop usually has a selection of the less-rare pans going for a quid or so each, if you want dibs.
SBT

No, s'alright. They're one of those things I'll buy straight away if I see them in front of me, but I'm not so bothered about going to any great lengths to acquire, (and there seems to be loads for sale online for practically nothing anyway).

Thanks for the offer, though.

HOO-HAA

Added Shaun Hutson's HEATHEN to the current reading pile. It's my first Hutson book (I was mostly into King and Herbert, as a kid) and I'm absolutely loving it. Surpisngly emotive and character-driven, despite what I've heard from critics of Hutson's work...   

locustsofdeath!

Quote from: HOO-HAA on 29 May, 2011, 12:21:53 PM
It's my first Hutson book (I was mostly into King and Herbert, as a kid) and I'm absolutely loving it. Surpisngly emotive and character-driven, despite what I've heard from critics of Hutson's work...   

His early stuff is much, much different. More trashy, I guess. The newer stuff is cool.

I've just finished Shadow of the Torturer by Gene Wolfe and it's brilliant! I'm already in the second book, Claw of the Torturer. I can easily say it's like no fantasy or sci-fi I've ever read - a first person narrative in which the narrator is possibly a liar!!!

Thanks to Kerrin for sending me these books. I don't know why I've delayed in reading them until now. I read SotT in three days.

HOO-HAA

Quote from: locustsofdeath! on 29 May, 2011, 01:47:46 PM
Quote from: HOO-HAA on 29 May, 2011, 12:21:53 PM
It's my first Hutson book (I was mostly into King and Herbert, as a kid) and I'm absolutely loving it. Surpisngly emotive and character-driven, despite what I've heard from critics of Hutson's work...   

His early stuff is much, much different. More trashy, I guess. The newer stuff is cool.

This one's 1991, I think. So it's kinda early-ish. The author pic at the back is fantastic - big glasses, full-on poodle-perm mullet and Rob Halford-esque leather jacket. Priceless!

locustsofdeath!

Oh yeah, that pic is classic! I also love all the heavy metal bands he thanks!

I have read Slugs, Spawn and Erebus (all in one volume, put out by Index) and Victims; out of the four, Victims is the only one with any sort of character development. The rest are good, trashy fun loaded with sex and gore and little else!

Search a fe of his interviews on youtube - they're soooo hilarious. There's one in which he takes Slugs so seriously it's hard to tell if he's taking the piss or not.