Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zarjazzer

Quote from: HOO-HAA on 27 June, 2011, 08:50:52 PM
Quote from: Zarjazzer on 27 June, 2011, 06:42:28 PM
Just started Anno Frankenstein which is a great read -a sort of steampunk world where Britain faces off with the dastardly Nazis and their undead soldiers.

Hah! Who's the author? Sounds quite Abaddon Books...

You are correct, sir! It is young Jonathan Green and is a Ulysses Quicksilver tale.
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

Mikey

Bear with me on this one - I think it's the best place for it.

I'm currently reading 'Word Origins and How We Know Them' by Anatoly Liberman. It's absolutely fantastic (if you like etymology that is!). What I really want to share is this...

...my ma would often refer to thunder storms as 'thunner plumps'. Now, a lot of the phrases and words she used are pretty mental but were sometimes easily deciphered, but this one always stumped me. 'Thunner' is simply a thinning of thunder of course, but 'plump' in this context always stumped me. I thought it might be related to French 'pleut', or Icelandic 'blautur' (she also would say 'plutin' for rain), but never came accross anything to confirm this (apart from a French influence on some Scots I understand). Her accent/dialect was that there Scots-Irish, so I presume a lot of the phrases and words were likely from around 17th Century (!). Turns out 'plump' has a provenance from the 14th Century German, as a verb meaning 'to come down or fall with great force'. Fuckin amazing or what?!

M.
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

TordelBack

Quote from: Mikey on 28 June, 2011, 03:50:46 PMTurns out 'plump' has a provenance from the 14th Century German, as a verb meaning 'to come down or fall with great force'. Fuckin amazing or what?!

Cool indeed. Would that lead into the idea of 'I'll plump for that one', when making a choice?  As in, to come down heavily on that side.  Not to be confused with one-time top shelf mainstay Plumpers.  I presume.

SmallBlueThing

Oh i dont know, ive come down heavily on a plumper or two in my no no i'll shut up right there.
SBT

Mikey

[quote author=TordelBack link=topic=24633.msg613999#msg613999
Would that lead into the idea of 'I'll plump for that one', when making a choice?  As in, to come down heavily on that side.  [/quote]

Possibly...I would say 'plum' for that one, so ultimately the etymon may be the same as 'plumbum', which is supposed to have originated as the vernacular for the sound of the device used for drawing water made when it was dropped into the water. It came to be associated with the metal it was made from (according to Liberman).

I can't speak for the magazine title I'm afraid (very afraid), though 'plumping' your seat doesn't have the same etymology.... but SBT might be the expert on that too by the sounds of things!

M.

SmallBlueThing

Ive plumped a few seats in my- oh i give up.
SBT

O Lucky Stevie!

Stevie enjoyed Poul Anderson's The High Crusade far more than he expected. However, in doing so this leaves him uncertain whether to charitably forgive the glaring logical flaw  in the denouement or become more resentful of it. Bah humbug.
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

O Lucky Stevie!

"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

Dandontdare

Quote from: Mikey on 28 June, 2011, 04:18:21 PM
Possibly...I would say 'plum' for that one, so ultimately the etymon may be the same as 'plumbum', which is supposed to have originated as the vernacular for the sound of the device used for drawing water made when it was dropped into the water. It came to be associated with the metal it was made from (according to Liberman).

I thought that was from the Latin for lead - or maybe they got THAT word from the sound? Etymology is fascinating though.

A nice bit of trivia is trivia itself - apparently* there was a spot in ancient Rome where three roads met (TRI VIA) and it's where the women going to market would stop and gossip apparently, hence any tittle-tattle from the three roads was dismissed as trivia.

*there are other less interesting possible meanings, but I like this one!

Mikey

Quote from: Dandontdare on 29 June, 2011, 01:41:21 PM
I thought that was from the Latin for lead - or maybe they got THAT word from the sound? Etymology is fascinating though.

Yup - that's what I meant, not that it was clear from my post.

QuoteA nice bit of trivia is trivia itself - apparently* there was a spot in ancient Rome where three roads met (TRI VIA) and it's where the women going to market would stop and gossip apparently, hence any tittle-tattle from the three roads was dismissed as trivia.

Good work lad! The mighty Dictionary of Etymology agrees - although it's more general than specifically women going to market, just a common meeting place.

I'll share just one (or two) more - 'Lord' comes from Old Engl. 'hláfweard' (hláf - loaf, pron.approx hlowv i think]) which literally means 'bread keeper' and 'Lady' from 'hlæfdige' (hleyevdee), meaning 'bread kneader'. Maybe this 'kneads' it's own thread!  :D

M.

nev

Quote from: House of Usher on 23 June, 2011, 01:55:56 PM
I loved To Kill a Mockingbird.
\
Just finished reading this and found it extremely enjoyable, the last few chapters made me nearly shed a manly tear!

Emp

Quote from: IAMTHESYSTEM on 22 June, 2011, 08:28:11 PM
'Black Hand Gang' by Pat Kelleher

Awaiting delivery, sounds good.

IAMTHESYSTEM

Quote from: Emp on 01 July, 2011, 09:59:33 PM
Quote from: IAMTHESYSTEM on 22 June, 2011, 08:28:11 PM
'Black Hand Gang' by Pat Kelleher

Awaiting delivery, sounds good.

It's a bit strange and I'm afraid it's going down the path of most Doug Mclure movies at the moment but it is an interesting idea if not quite what I hoped it would be.
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

Jared Katooie

I just read WE3.

It was alright.

nev

Currently reading Ian Banks' The Wasp Factory.
Fairly grim so far but enjoyable. There's a nice flow.