Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richmond Clements

Quote from: nev on 03 July, 2011, 03:54:13 PM
Currently reading Ian Banks' The Wasp Factory.
Fairly grim so far but enjoyable. There's a nice flow.

One of my favourite books ever.

nev

Would you recommend any of his other stuff for after this? Not sure about touching any of his sci-fi yet as I've got a pile of scifi to get through.

El Chivo

Is that the one where it turns out...

Only joking, Enjoy!

Chi

Mardroid

Currently reading the Necronomicon. That's the collection of Lovecraft tales rather than the book of black magic by an ancient mad Arab bloke.

Not bad so far. I like his writing style. The tales themselves have been rather basic though, but I've only gotten a couple of stories in so far. I did read another volume of Lovecraft a while back and (to be honest) wasn't all that impressed. On seeing this big leather volume in the library I thought I'd give him another chance though as I've heard a lot of good things about him.

TordelBack

Jeebus, there's a book you could really screw up with spoilers...

Astonishingly good.  I've only read it once, a quarter century ago, but i feel like I can remember every single page.

nev

Quote from: TordelBack on 03 July, 2011, 09:18:51 PM
Jeebus, there's a book you could really screw up with spoilers...

Astonishingly good.  I've only read it once, a quarter century ago, but i feel like I can remember every single page.
Luckily I'm finished now, so no need to worry about the spoilers. I thought it was utterly fantastic. Although I was keeping my eyes out for a twist since el chivo mentioned it  ;)

Richmond Clements

Quote from: nev on 03 July, 2011, 03:59:38 PM
Would you recommend any of his other stuff for after this? Not sure about touching any of his sci-fi yet as I've got a pile of scifi to get through.

The Bridge is probably his finest 'mainstream' book (IMO, obviously). Espidair Street, Whit, The Crow Road, Walking on Glass- all brilliant. SOme of the others, I'm thinking Song of Stone, can be hard work though.

But you really should read Consider Phelbas and Use of Weapons...

Rog69

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 03 July, 2011, 09:55:54 PM

The Bridge is probably his finest 'mainstream' book (IMO, obviously). Espidair Street, Whit, The Crow Road, Walking on Glass- all brilliant. SOme of the others, I'm thinking Song of Stone, can be hard work though.

From his mainstream novels I would say The Business is my favourite. Canal Dreams and Song of Stone are probably his weakest but they are still OK reads, Song of Stone is pretty bleak and Canal Dreams is a bit odd, kind of like he was writing it with a view to getting an action movie made.

Use of weapons would be my choice from his Sci-fi novels, but they are all pretty damn good.

chris_askham

Quote from: Rog69 on 03 July, 2011, 10:19:36 PM
Quote from: Richmond Clements on 03 July, 2011, 09:55:54 PM

From his mainstream novels I would say The Business is my favourite. Canal Dreams and Song of Stone are probably his weakest but they are still OK reads, Song of Stone is pretty bleak and Canal Dreams is a bit odd, kind of like he was writing it with a view to getting an action movie made.

Use of weapons would be my choice from his Sci-fi novels, but they are all pretty damn good.

I was quite enjoying The Business, [spoiler]but then right at the end it turns into a Richard Curtis Rom Com[/spoiler], which kind of spoilt it for me...

locustsofdeath!

A DANCE WITH DRAGONS!!!

The bookstore on base put them out a week early!!! Woohoo!!!

I'm into the second chapter now...my impression so far is the same as it has been with every ASOIAF book (excepting GoT): GRRM can write a freakin' tedious prologue, can't he? But then the first chapter comes along with some familiar faces and old friends and all is right in the world...

Mardroid

I've read all of these books except the latest, and thoroughly enjoyed them.... yet I don't own any of them. They were all picked up from libraries.

I'm strongly tempted to buy this though rather than wait for it to hit the libraries.

Radbacker

[spoiler]A DANCE WITH DRAGONS!!!

The bookstore on base put them out a week early!!! Woohoo!!!

I'm into the second chapter now...my impression so far is the same as it has been with every ASOIAF book (excepting GoT): GRRM can write a freakin' tedious prologue, can't he? But then the first chapter comes along with some familiar faces and old friends and all is right in the world...[/spoiler]
You bastard :) It friggen 12 midnoght here, looks like a trip to the book shop tommorow got half a week of holidays left days now full.

CU Radbacker

Emperor

Currently reading: Darker Than You Think and enjoying it, even though I'd usually steer clear of werewolf stories unless they came up with a new take on things.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

Albion

Isaac Asimov's Foundation. Really enjoying it.
Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side.

TordelBack

Just finished Clash of Kings.  That man does not mess about.  After a sequence of 3 or 4 chapters in the second half so horrible that I had almost decided to stop reading until it turned out that All Was Not As it Seemed, the last few chapters turned out to be only marginally less grim... but still completely gripping.

Keep meaning to ration and/or pace myself, but as soon as my name comes to the top of the waiting list in the library it's Storm of Swords time...