Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spikes

The revamped Dark Horse Presents ( Paul Chadwicks Concrete returns for the first three issues ).

mogzilla

restricted files 3 and my ltd edition hellboy seeds of destruction hardcover i got with the pvc hb for a quid on ebay! bargain of the week!

HatefulCactus

2000 AD digital progs 1730-1741. Trying to catch up with everyone else.
Feel My Hate!

Ignatzmonster

Batwoman- This was better than expected. I'd heard good things but it just sort of sounded like a novelty; a lesbian vigilante, meh. But JH Williams is amazing in his switching of styles to tell us where we are in time and in his baroque paneling.  Rucka also did a great job making the character believable and giving her a novelty beyond her sexuality. I like how her father, who plays the Q/Alfred role, and she speak in military jargon when determining their next moves.

Queen & Country Vol2- Good stuff. I'm a huge fan of the Sandbaggers and I think Rucka's stealing from Ian MAcKintosh a gift to the world. Why didn't someone do it sooner? He doesn't quite get that feeling you get watching the show that you have visited an alien planet where no one will do anything you would. I always found the show psychologically dumbfounding. But here it's a good yarn with plenty of surprises of the normal variety.

Declare- My second book by Tim Powers. Pretty impressed by the idea or game of it. Powers when writing his espionage fantasy set in the cold war stuck slavishly to the facts of the Kim Philby case. So basically you could read your history book and Declare and though the latter isn't true it won't contradict the former. Has anyone done this before? I've read alternate histories, but never one that was built to be laid on top of reality.

Cpt Rhodes

I've been working my way through the back catalogue of Chaos Comics, Lady Death /Evil Ernie. Some of the dialogue is cheesy to say the least but the art of Steven Hughes is just amazing. I don't know why I didn't catch onto him a long time ago. Sad to hear that he died at such a young age.

Tjm86

Charles Stross' Rule 34 - usual brand of insanity.  Love the literary style of this as well.  Prefer his Laundry stuff for the laughs, only stuff I haven't enjoyed of his as much is the Merchant Prince's series.

X-men Omnibus vol 2.  Slowly savouring this.  Know a taste for the X is considered heresy  in some quarters and admittedly of late even I have struggled to maintain an interest but ...

Greg M.

Quote from: Tjm86 on 03 August, 2011, 08:32:34 PM
Know a taste for the X is considered heresy  in some quarters and admittedly of late even I have struggled to maintain an interest but ...

It's finally getting good again, y'know. Decent writers (Aaron, Gillen, and the ongoing genius of PAD and Rick Remender on the two satellite teams), the prospect of individual teams with limited rosters rather than the sprawling mess of the last couple of years... hallelujah!

ming

Just finished Philip Palmer's Version 43...  All in all, great stuff.

What should I pick up next?  Any recommendations in a similar vein?

SmallBlueThing

Currently im about a third of the way through 'outpost' by adam baker- which has finally come out in decently-sized paperback, after months of whispering at me in a ridiculous, oversized, trade edition that i couldnt justify.

End of the world, viral outbreak, isolated oilrig survivors in the barents sea, lots of cold, lovely lovely.

However, a hundred and fifty or so pages in, and it's all gone a bit zombie- which i wasnt expecting. Oddly, i feel a bit let down by this, which is most unlike me, and which im putting down to tonsilitis.

SBT

HatefulCactus

My first issue of Judge Dredd Megazine 313 along with Mercy Heights.
Feel My Hate!

Rog69

Quote from: Tjm86 on 03 August, 2011, 08:32:34 PM
Charles Stross' Rule 34 - usual brand of insanity.  Love the literary style of this as well.  Prefer his Laundry stuff for the laughs, only stuff I haven't enjoyed of his as much is the Merchant Prince's series.

Quick question, somebody bought me the Fuller Memorandum but I haven't read any of the previous books in the laundry series, is it readable in it's own right or do I really need to have read the first two books?

HOO-HAA

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 03 August, 2011, 10:26:14 PM
However, a hundred and fifty or so pages in, and it's all gone a bit zombie- which i wasnt expecting. Oddly, i feel a bit let down by this, which is most unlike me, and which im putting down to tonsilitis.

SBT

Complaining about zombies, SBT?! YOU?!

Geez, I better find myself something new to peddle if even you are sick of zed-heads!

:D

HOO-HAA

Quote from: Ignatzmonster on 30 July, 2011, 03:38:41 AM
Batwoman- This was better than expected. I'd heard good things but it just sort of sounded like a novelty; a lesbian vigilante, meh. But JH Williams is amazing in his switching of styles to tell us where we are in time and in his baroque paneling.  Rucka also did a great job making the character believable and giving her a novelty beyond her sexuality. I like how her father, who plays the Q/Alfred role, and she speak in military jargon when determining their next moves.

I picked up Batwoman 0, part of the new DC reboot. To be honest, although I really wanted to like it, it just wasn't biting.

Maybe I'll let it settle and pick up the first trade.

One of my problems with it is something that might be an issue across the whole Gotham series with the reboot: Batman/ Bruce Wayne looks too damn young. I had always imagined him as a well preserved late 30s/ early 40s. But in BW 0, he looks about 25.

SmallBlueThing

Quote from: HOO-HAA on 04 August, 2011, 05:44:50 PM
Complaining about zombies, SBT?! YOU?!

Geez, I better find myself something new to peddle if even you are sick of zed-heads!

:D

Ah- but these are sort-of zombies where I wasn't expecting them! I was hoping for a neat thriller thing set in one of my favourite types of locales, and instead I'm now halfway through a mediocre zomnov. Still, 200 pages left to go- at this rate, anything could happen!

SBT

Ignatzmonster

Quote from: HOO-HAA on 04 August, 2011, 05:51:14 PM
Quote from: Ignatzmonster on 30 July, 2011, 03:38:41 AM

I picked up Batwoman 0, part of the new DC reboot. To be honest, although I really wanted to like it, it just wasn't biting.

Maybe I'll let it settle and pick up the first trade.

One of my problems with it is something that might be an issue across the whole Gotham series with the reboot: Batman/ Bruce Wayne looks too damn young. I had always imagined him as a well preserved late 30s/ early 40s. But in BW 0, he looks about 25.

Haven't read #0, so can't say. Might be a slip up of the artist. Batman should be at the age you say, since Dick Grayson is supposed to be in his twenties. Sure it wasn't the Grayson Batman? Ye Gods, continuity makes my mouth full of wrong. The trade feels pretty self contained which is part of the reason I liked it.