Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mardroid

Caballistics Inc: Going Underground.

Very enjoyable.

HdE

Quote from: Radbacker on 12 January, 2012, 07:48:48 AM
oooh, me likey Transformers comics but the last few I've got had atrocious art, poor colouring and the art just didn't flow, all the characters looked the same.  Mught give this a burl though, whats the art like?

Art is by Nick Roche in this partick-lee-ar instance ( I believe he is known to PJ Holden on these boards, at least. )

Nick is quite a cartoonist, and he has this really lively, energetic and bouncy style. Suits the books to a tee! All the characters have their own unique visual cues, all present and correct, which makes his work a delight to behold.

There are previews for both 'The Death Of Optimus Prime' and 'More Than Meets The Eye' scattered about on the various comics sites right now. They're getting entirely deserved acclaim over there.
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/

Spikes

Just finished The Making of The Empire Strikes Back by J.W Rinzler and Alien Vault by Ian Nathan.
Not a lot of new revelations in either of them for long term fans, but very handsome (and in Alien, quite lavish) books nonetheless.
Reading between the lines, its interesting to note producer Gary Kurtz falling from favour and being sidelined during the making of ESB, and later on, Lucas taking Kershner to one side, after filming was completed, informing him that his sevices wouldnt be needed anymore, or ever again. Shame, as most people have Empire as their favourite. Also, great to read about, in pre-CGI days, just how much of a struggle it was to realise a big SFX film. A lost art, methinks.
Looking forward to getting Rinzler's Making of Jedi, which should be along sometime next year?

Zarjazzer

Lovecraft Unbound-note the name yes it's modern versions of Lovecraft but unfortunately it just isn't. This book should have the trades description act read to it's editor. Only a few of the stories have any real Lovecraftian elements the best IMHO is The Mongoose-a scifi lovecraft set on board a space station.

many of the others are just average horror fare pretending to be lovecraft and to have a book with boring, "devil worship" in a Lovecraft anthology and no discernible Mythos connections at all is a travesty too far. These stories are not terrible but they are not what you think you're buying.
"No tentacles", as the editor opines in the beginning and all in the end I felt was this was a bunch of rather oh-so clever  authors somewhat embarrassed that they like Lovecraft.

Maybe I shouldn't moan but at £14.99 I could have got two decent novels or a twoofy TPB.
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

Karl Stephan

Last two months:

Complete Case Files #11
Complete Case Files#13.
Restricted Case Files #1
Judge Dredd: The Henry Flint Collection
ABC Warriors: The Meknificent 7
Zombo
Slaine: The Horned God
Walking Dead vol 1
Chew vol 1
Enigma (Vertigo)
Cities of Glass
Black Hole

And I ordered 13 more books on the 2000AD sale! 

Karl Stephan

Quote from: Lee Bates on 05 January, 2012, 01:53:55 PM

Book 10, with the gorgeous Henry Flint art was like a breath of fresh air after the muddled mess of book 9 but it still has problems.

Flint's run makes the whole volume worth getting. Best work he's done IMHO.

Gonk

"The Luck in the Head" graphic novel by Harrison/Miller.
coming at a cinema near you soon

Evil Pants

Just posted a mini review of Brandon Graham's Prophet on the Prophet thread.
My opinions on comics can be found here: http://fourcoloursandthetruth.wordpress.com/

Webcomics, as written by me, can be found here: http://condoofmystery.com/

Mardroid

American Vampire.

It's pretty good although there are minor things that cold be a bit clearer in the art. From a story-telling POV I mean, the art itself is lovely.

judda fett

Shakey Kanes Monster Truck.It reminds me of the scenarios I used to draw as a kid, giant bugs a souped up cars- fun.

mygrimmbrother

Quote from: Mardroid on 19 January, 2012, 12:48:18 AM
American Vampire.

It's pretty good although there are minor things that cold be a bit clearer in the art. From a story-telling POV I mean, the art itself is lovely.

See what you mean Mardroid, but all in all I'm a huge fan. Rafael Alberquerue (sp?) isn't it?

Funnily enough this leads on nicely to my re-read of 'El Diablo', the 4 issue Vertigo series from 2001. Decided to unearth it for a re-read because a) I suddenly remembered it was painted by Daniel Zezelj and I love him, and b) because I might be drawing a page or two of Locust's El Bigote later in the year, and I thought it'd help me get in character so to speak. On reflection I'm not too taken with Azarello's dialogue in places, but as I said Zezelj's art is sumptious, self-assured, chunky and full of atmosphere. So worth it then.

ICONIC_TM

His dark materials, Just to see what all the fuss was about?

Colin YNWA

Quote from: mygrimmbrother on 19 January, 2012, 02:58:19 PM

Funnily enough this leads on nicely to my re-read of 'El Diablo', the 4 issue Vertigo series from 2001.

Funnily enough I bought my wife a copy of this for X-Mas, she loves western comics. I'm itching to get my hands on it but she's not got around to reading it yet herself and seems a bit rude to read her present from me before she does!

flintlockjaw

Just finished 'Superman v Muhammed Ali' and halfway through 'Flesh' now.

radiator

Just had to turn off the audiobook of Stephen Fry's childhood memoirs Moab is My Washpot. An hour was all I could take.

Love the man but fucking hell, what a tedious, self-indulgent load of waffle. Meandering, pointless, achingly dreary anecdotes and digressions that sound like something Grandpa Simpson would come out with.

At times he is literally just dictating articles from magazines, verbatim, and at great length. Reminded me of the bit in Alan Partridge's recent autobiography where he starts reading out Wikipedia definitions of radio technology to fill out the word count.