Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Quote from: radiator on 19 January, 2012, 07:21:43 PM
Just had to turn off the audiobook of Stephen Fry's childhood memoirs Moab is My Washpot. An hour was all I could take.

Bugger! Just got this out of the library and was looking forward to it, having enjoyed The Liar and his Treyfusis stuff on audio, as well as his readings of the Potter series.  I'll see if I have the same reaction...

DoomBot

Reading nikolai dante: sword of the tsar. Loving it

vzzbux

Got through The Walking Dead book 2 in one sitting.
Charley's War : Hitler's Youth next.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

Keef Monkey

I only have a small chunk of Game of Thrones left and flipping heck that's a good read.

Gonk

Just about to start on H.M. Dredd.
coming at a cinema near you soon

Definitely Not Mister Pops

I got me one of them Kindle yoks for Christmas. I can't find the Kindle thread, so I'm just going to drag this thread off topic for a wee minute. I know that sort of thing is seen as a cardinal sin on this here Forum, try not to over react lads ;)

It's a neat piece of kit. Once you start reading and are drawn into the text, you don't really notice any differences to reading a book. Oh, you have to push a button instead of turning a page, but I've found that to be preferable.

So I've had a few things on the go.

I'd never read any Sherlock Holmes before, but since it was free (on kindle), I gave it a whirl. Thoroughly enjoyable. Great way to kill the guts of an hour.

I've be slogging through The Song of Ice and Fire.I'm about half way through the third book. The first book sets up the world and the characters nicely. The second book sees all the various factions' machinations escalate, but now in third book, there seems to be a lot of wondering around the country side. Now, it's all very well written and greatly entertaining adventures in the wilderness, but it seems like no one is really sure about what to do next. Or Maybe at this point GRRM wasn't all that sure what to do next. But I'm being unfair, I haven't finished the thing yet.
You may quote me on that.

Mardroid

Quote from: mygrimmbrother on 19 January, 2012, 02:58:19 PM
Quote from: Mardroid on 19 January, 2012, 12:48:18 AM
American Vampire.

It's pretty good although there are minor things that cold be a bit clearer in the art. From a story-telling POV I mean, the art itself is lovely.

See what you mean Mardroid, but all in all I'm a huge fan. Rafael Alberquerue (sp?) isn't it?

That's him, and he is certainly very good. It was just a few things that bugged me really.*  And some of that could just be me being a div. I didn't mean that as too heavy a criticism. I certainly plan on picking up the later collections.

* [spoiler]An example would be the part where Skinner Sweet bursts out of his underwater coffin after being buried for a decade. It war remarked that he was was too weak to break out being alone in the dark and starving**. A diver appears to grasp at a chunk of wood presumably opening the coffin lid (although that's not clear) then Skinner bursts out.

Now if he'd just sat up or jumped out of the open coffin when exposed to the sun (it only takes a little, I think as it's only the moonless nights that species are weak) but he pretty much shatters the box, wood shrapnel, etc. It's a brilliant dramatic scene, and it highlights the design of this new monster wonderfully, but seems a bit contradictory of his weakened state, if that makes sense. Perhaps just a panel in between would clarify things more. And on writing this it occurs that could be a scripting issue as much as art. In hindsight I worked out what happened, but I felt a bit like I was filling in the blanks.

** I was also bit puzzled that he didn't tear his way out before he got to that starved state, but as he is newly turned and his species are powered by the sun that could be the explanation.[/spoiler]

O Lucky Stevie!

Haven't revisited Daniel Clowes' Death Ray since it first appeared in Eightball # 23 back in 2004. Today it reads as Kick Ass, but for grown ups.

Stevie knows which of the two he prefers.  ;).
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

TordelBack

Quote from: O Lucky Stevie! on 20 January, 2012, 01:23:36 AM
Haven't revisited Daniel Clowes' Death Ray since it first appeared in Eightball # 23 back in 2004. Today it reads as Kick Ass, but for grown ups.

Read it for the first time last year in a wonderfully shiny oversized hardback - it's pretty great.  Clowes' characters are so brilliantly layered, and change (or don't) so plausibly over time, there's always far more there than meets the eye.

Davek

Sin Titulo web comic - got through the first 100 entries since yesterday.  Enjoying it a lot, gonna be a shame when I get to the end (presume it has finished as the last entry on the archive was August 2011).

Evil Pants

Quote from: Davek on 20 January, 2012, 03:42:36 PM
Sin Titulo web comic - got through the first 100 entries since yesterday.  Enjoying it a lot, gonna be a shame when I get to the end (presume it has finished as the last entry on the archive was August 2011).

Glad you're liking it...be patient with it though. There's still more to come. He's taken this much time between strips before. He will finish it for sure, and there's actually a collected print version coming once it's all done. He's said that when paying gigs come in, he takes a hiatus on Sin Titulo, which makes perfect sense. 
My opinions on comics can be found here: http://fourcoloursandthetruth.wordpress.com/

Webcomics, as written by me, can be found here: http://condoofmystery.com/

Davek

Quote from: Evil Pants on 20 January, 2012, 04:38:42 PM

Glad you're liking it...be patient with it though. There's still more to come. He's taken this much time between strips before. He will finish it for sure, and there's actually a collected print version coming once it's all done. He's said that when paying gigs come in, he takes a hiatus on Sin Titulo, which makes perfect sense.

Ah yes, thanks Evil Pants - I found Sin Tintulo on your blog I think.  I'm not surprised that they are going to print it when it is finished as the story is fantastic.  Might need sprucing up for print though (the colour scheme is fine for one entry a week but may get a little tiresome in a collected print version?).

Evil Pants

Quote from: Davek on 20 January, 2012, 05:08:46 PM
Quote from: Evil Pants on 20 January, 2012, 04:38:42 PM

Ah yes, thanks Evil Pants - I found Sin Tintulo on your blog I think.  I'm not surprised that they are going to print it when it is finished as the story is fantastic.  Might need sprucing up for print though (the colour scheme is fine for one entry a week but may get a little tiresome in a collected print version?).

Oh really? The colour scheme is one of the things I love about it the most :D The sepia tone just adds a moodiness that fits quite well, me thinks. Just MO, of course! For those who don't know Sin Titulo, it's about as good a mystery comic as you'll be lucky enough to read these days: www.sintitulocomic.com
My opinions on comics can be found here: http://fourcoloursandthetruth.wordpress.com/

Evil Pants

Quote from: TordelBack on 20 January, 2012, 07:44:13 AM
Quote from: O Lucky Stevie! on 20 January, 2012, 01:23:36 AM

Read it for the first time last year in a wonderfully shiny oversized hardback - it's pretty great.  Clowes' characters are so brilliantly layered, and change (or don't) so plausibly over time, there's always far more there than meets the eye.

Love Death Ray! I picked up the hardcover of that as well. However, for me the real Clowes discovery of 2011 was Mr. Wonderful. It was originally created for New York Magazine, and I honestly think it stands up quite well among his very best work.

TordelBack

Quote from: Evil Pants on 20 January, 2012, 05:38:59 PM
Love Death Ray! I picked up the hardcover of that as well. However, for me the real Clowes discovery of 2011 was Mr. Wonderful. It was originally created for New York Magazine, and I honestly think it stands up quite well among his very best work.

Absolutely agree.  Mr. Wonderful is one of his best, as I think I droned on about earlier in this thread, it's a brilliant example of the kind of storytelling the medium is capable of. Didn't care for Wilson though - way too grim.