Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evil Pants

Quote from: TordelBack on 20 January, 2012, 05:42:47 PM
Quote from: Evil Pants on 20 January, 2012, 05:38:59 PM
Love Death Ray! I picked up the hardcover of that as well. However, for me the real Clowes discovery of 2011 was Mr. Wonderful. It was originally created for New York Magazine, and I honestly think it stands up quite well among his very best work.

Absolutely agree.  Mr. Wonderful is one of his best, as I think I droned on about earlier in this thread, it's a brilliant example of the kind of storytelling the medium is capable of. Didn't care for Wilson though - way too grim.

Agreed! It wasn't just the story, it was HOW he told the story. He was using narrative techniques that I've never seen him use before. He's at the top of his game, IMO. I hope he comes out with something new this year.
My opinions on comics can be found here: http://fourcoloursandthetruth.wordpress.com/

Webcomics, as written by me, can be found here: http://condoofmystery.com/

Gonk

"The Pentateuch Retold The Second Earth" by Patrick Woodroffe. Pub. Paper Tiger. This guy's a DaVinci! WOW!
coming at a cinema near you soon

Davek

Read Prophet # 21 and Fatale # 1 today.

Never read the original Prophet series, but this was a great start to the reboot of the series.  Looking forward to seeing how the setting develops (some weird and wonderful ideas in the first issue).

As much as I enjoyed Prophet though, Fatale was the one for me.  I am new to Brubaker but it was a great start to a Lovecraftian pulp crime drama (great combo) with a good cliffhanger at the end of the first issue.  Big incentive for me to pick up Brubaker's Criminal as well.

HdE

I finally caved and started reading Watchmen.

No, I don't think this book deserves the legendary status it's garnered over the years.

That said, it is very, VERY good! It's not often that a comic book draws me in the way this one has - and that's saying something, considering I was subjected to the dreadful movie before I began reading a single page.

I just finished chapter 4, where Dr. Manhattan is in exile on Mars. That's some very strong writing indeed, and great science fiction.
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/

W. R. Logan

When you've finished all 12 chapters and then read it again, then see what you think.

Darren Stephens

Yesterday I recieved from Ebay the first collection of Marvel/DC crossover storys. I hear the scripts are a bit whack, but I've wanted to read these strips for years. Superman and Spiderman! The Hulk and Batman, fer chrissakes! Sounds sooo bad, it may be good. :lol:
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

Link Prime

Quote from: Darren Stephens on 22 January, 2012, 06:15:56 PM
Yesterday I recieved from Ebay the first collection of Marvel/DC crossover storys. I hear the scripts are a bit whack, but I've wanted to read these strips for years. Superman and Spiderman! The Hulk and Batman, fer chrissakes! Sounds sooo bad, it may be good. :lol:
Is that the 'Amalgam' stuff, or just general crossovers?
I loved the Amalgam comics in the 90's- head trippin, and some really good concepts too.

COMMANDO FORCES

I bought all that Amalgam stuff, it's in the dirty corner of the cellar  :-[

The crossover stuff, wasn't that when people had to vote to see who would win the fights between DC & Marvel characters. Those are also in the dirty corner!

Gonk

After watching the film I'm reading Frankenstein by Mary Shelley. Is this the first ever science fiction story?
I'm suprised how articulate the monsters speech is in this novel. Nothing like the way he's portrayed in the pulps. A sensitive and intelligent monster?

Davek

Quote from: wonkychop on 23 January, 2012, 09:54:51 AM
After watching the film I'm reading Frankenstein by Mary Shelley. Is this the first ever science fiction story?
I'm suprised how articulate the monsters speech is in this novel. Nothing like the way he's portrayed in the pulps. A sensitive and intelligent monster?

I read that not so long ago - a great read, still relevant, and very moving in parts.  I tried watching the De Niro version of the film after reading the book but had to stop as it was so poor. 

Not too sure about if it was the first science fiction novel, but the copy of Frankenstein I had included Vampyre by John Polidori which I think was the first English language vamprire story.

Gonk

Thanks DaveK. I've seen the Branagh film too, I thought it was very good. There is a scene in it which doesn't occur in the novel. This is the part where Victor resurrects Elizabeth Lavenza after the monster has strangled her. Needless to say it all ends tragically for all involved. This scene was a deviation from the original Shelley plot, but I thought the story as a whole was actually better for inserting that scene into it. And what a grisily scene it is!

I've not read Vampyr so I can't judge, but in Shelley's Frankenstein, 1830's, (there is a slightly earlier version) I believe it is the first time science has been portrayed accomplishing something that in the reality of the early 19th century was just fiction.

There have been so many film versions of Frankenstein! I hope we get as many Dredd films!

Gonk

Quote from: wonkychop on 23 January, 2012, 01:08:24 PM
Thanks DaveK. I've seen the Brannagh film too, I thought it was very good. There is a scene in it which doesn't occur in the novel. This is the part where Victor ressurrects Elizabeth Lavenza after the monster has strangled her. Needless to say it all ends tragically for all involved. This scene was a deviation from the original Shelley plot, but I thought the story as a whole was actually better for inserting that scene into it. And what a grisily scene it is!

I've not read Vampyr so I can't judge, but in Shelley's Frankenstein, 1830's, (there is a slightly earlier version), I believe it is the first time science has been portrayed accomplishing something that in the reality of the early 19th century was just fiction.

There have been so many film versions of Frankenstein! I hope we get as many Dredd films!

Gonk

Asterix and the Goths. These fellas are flipping violent! :lol:

Darren Stephens

Quote from: Link Prime on 22 January, 2012, 09:17:12 PM
Is that the 'Amalgam' stuff, or just general crossovers?
I loved the Amalgam comics in the 90's- head trippin, and some really good concepts too.

Just the normal crossovers, starting with the Spidey/Supes from 1976. Quite a fun read.
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

Link Prime

I must look that 70s stuff up- a great era for kinda whacy American comics.
Best crossover ever must of course be 'Judgement on Gotham'...