Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ignatzmonster

Quote from: Darren Stephens on 23 January, 2012, 06:25:51 PM
Quote from: Link Prime on 22 January, 2012, 09:17:12 PM
Is that the 'Amalgam' stuff, or just general crossovers?
I loved the Amalgam comics in the 90's- head trippin, and some really good concepts too.

Just the normal crossovers, starting with the Spidey/Supes from 1976. Quite a fun read.

I think I remember that. Quite liked it as a youngster. Parasite was the villain? I also liked the crossover between X-Men and Teen Titans which had some great art by Walter Simonson.

NorthVox

Just re-read the reprints I have of Spider-Man 2099. Contemplating re-reading Midnighter or Wanted, in the mood for something silly and violent.

Gonk

Try "Asterix The Gaul". Two French who go around bashing the hell out of Romans. It's both silly and violent.
coming at a cinema near you soon

von Boom

Quote from: wonkychop on 24 January, 2012, 08:14:31 AM
Try "Asterix The Gaul". Two French who go around bashing the hell out of Romans. It's both silly and violent.

I love Asterix. Funniest in french, but the translations (to english anyway) are still excellent.

JvB

Keef Monkey

Just read 'Don't Blink' by James Patterson. I've never heard of him, although I did get my dad one of his novels for xmas. My mum got me this one for my xmas mainly as a joke because she likes to remind me how much I shat myself at the 'Blink' episode of Who.

This was a weird one, a workmate who saw me reading it warned me that Patterson is total trash, and it is incredibly trashy, with the writing coming across as really dumbed down and juvenile. It's even printed in massive text, so before I knew it I'd cleared 100 pages just on my morning commute, and decided as trashy as it was I'd see it through to the end because it wasn't going to take long. By the end though, I couldn't quite work out if I was reading it so heavily to get it finished anymore, or if I was actually getting really into it. I suspect, guiltily, that it was the latter. I even gasped a little bit (just a tiny, macho bit) at a couple of the closing revelations. Not sure if I'd read another Patterson, although I wouldn't actually be dead against it to be honest.

TordelBack

Interesting.  My Dad, normally a fairly serious reader of weighty tomes, has been pushing James Patterson on me in much the same terms you use Keef.  Maybe I should give in - the last highly unlikely thing he bullied me into reading was this kids' book called Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, and that worked out okay. 

Gonk

Quote from: Judge von Boom on 24 January, 2012, 04:57:40 PM
Quote from: wonkychop on 24 January, 2012, 08:14:31 AM
Try "Asterix The Gaul". Two Frenchmen who go around bashing the hell out of Romans. It's both silly and violent.

I love Asterix. Funniest in french, but the translations (to english anyway) are still excellent.

JvB

I can imagine it's better in it's original language, and I'm reassured the English doesn't dertract from the enjoyment of it.
It was made into a film but wasn't very good. Reading Asterix and the Normans it occurs to me that this is quite similar to the one I've just read. :lol:

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Asterix and the Mansion of the Gods was my personal favourite.

Finished the third book of George R. Martin's Song of Ice and Fire. It's in two parts, not much happens in the first part and then the shit hits the fan in the second. The plot has been progressing in fits and starts throughout the whole series. A lot of travelling and plotting while the plot stagnates, then masses of revelation and bloodshed. Thoroughly engaging nevertheless
You may quote me on that.

Evil Pants

Just read the first issue of David Hines & Shaky Kane's Bulletproof Coffin: Disinterred, and I'm smiling from ear to ear. You can call it pastiche, homage, or even parody, but I just call it good. Part EC Horror, part Ditk-Objectivist tribute, part Allredian bombast, and all parts good.
My opinions on comics can be found here: http://fourcoloursandthetruth.wordpress.com/

Webcomics, as written by me, can be found here: http://condoofmystery.com/

Davek

Quote from: Evil Pants on 26 January, 2012, 07:02:28 AM
Just read the first issue of David Hines & Shaky Kane's Bulletproof Coffin: Disinterred, and I'm smiling from ear to ear. You can call it pastiche, homage, or even parody, but I just call it good. Part EC Horror, part Ditk-Objectivist tribute, part Allredian bombast, and all parts good.

I was thinking about going for this but decided against it in the end (I hadnt read the first Bulletproof Coffin series).  I was a bit put off about the write up I saw as it mentioned superheroes (which generally isnt my thing).  May take a look inthe shop.

Evil Pants

Quote from: Davek on 26 January, 2012, 08:40:33 AM
Quote from: Evil Pants on 26 January, 2012, 07:02:28 AM

I was thinking about going for this but decided against it in the end (I hadnt read the first Bulletproof Coffin series).  I was a bit put off about the write up I saw as it mentioned superheroes (which generally isnt my thing).  May take a look inthe shop.

Yeah, I guess technically it's superheroes...but also not really. This is the first issue of the first series: http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=preview&id=5540

It gives you a good sense of the tone of the piece.
My opinions on comics can be found here: http://fourcoloursandthetruth.wordpress.com/

Webcomics, as written by me, can be found here: http://condoofmystery.com/

Gonk

"Metamorphosis" - Franz Kafka. You are meant to laugh... really..! ;)

COMMANDO FORCES

I just started book 18 in the Horus Heresy series last night, Deliverance Lost by Gav Thorpe. Hope to get a couple of hundred pages read while at work tonight as the first two chapters flew by with intrigue and fighting this morning in bed. I had to force myself to put it down and go to sleep.

Davek

Reading Slaine Time Killer (picked up the two 'Best of' issues).  First time I have read it.  Have previously read Tomb of Terror and thought that was OK although not so keen on the Cythrons.  Probably not enjoying this as much as Tomb of Terror so far - its all a bit too detached from the Slaine landscape that I like.  Have enjoyed the Battle of Clontarf bit though (prefer it to the Clotarf special from 85 annual).

SmallBlueThing

Having a non-prog comics blitz at the moment, and have gone through every spidey story from 'one more day' up to and including 'spider island', plus a whole bunch of nineties spidey limited series, and last night 'mezolith'- which again makes me very sad that we likely wont be seeing any more. As far as the spider-man stuff goes, i can hand on heart say that i havent enjoyed the series this much in years- and ive been reading it intermittently since i was six years old. The changes wrought by marvel in 'omd' and then 'brand new day' completely refreshed the character and gave it a whole new lease of life. Im happy to continue buying the trades second hand (so the bastard mouse gets none of my money) and it's really reinvigorated my love of the character.

Also am reading 'rogue moon' by algis budrys, as part of the gollancz 'sf masterworks' series; which is taking an age to get going.

SBT