Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Judo

I was at a guys house reading a really cool photocopied comic. Black Eagle (empire comics I think) and it had Colin Macneil, Frank Quitely, Zander, john mcshane and some others in it. Must. Obtain. Oddity. anyone seen/heard/own this? x
Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Because of this thread and the sense of high regard this forum seems to have for the series, I decided to give Harry Harrison's Stainless Steel Rat a try.

I wasn't dissapppointed.

I started with A Stainless Steel Rat is Born. I've decided to read the series in chronological order, and I would like to know what those that are familiar with the books think of this approach. Also, are there reprints of the adaptations from the prog?
You may quote me on that.

ming

I'm close to finishing Jim Dodge's Stone Junction, which I can honestly say is one of the most enjoyable books I've ever read.  The only work of his I've read before was Fup, and I've spent far too long with Stone Junction sitting in my pile of books-to-read-when-I-get-time.  I should have made time available for this sooner.

Might get my nose stuck into another Philip Palmer book after this one (Artemis; thoroughly enjoyed Version43 and Red Claw*)

* despite the teeth-grindingly annoying use of 'genuses' - gah!

Albion

Quote from: pops1983 on 27 March, 2012, 12:27:31 AM
I started with A Stainless Steel Rat is Born. I've decided to read the series in chronological order, and I would like to know what those that are familiar with the books think of this approach. Also, are there reprints of the adaptations from the prog?

It's not essential to read them in order but it's not a bad idea to do so. Great books.

Collected 2000AD version here....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Stainless-Steel-Harry-Harrison/dp/1906735514/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1332848684&sr=1-3
Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side.

GordyM

The latest Dark Horse Presents. First time I haven't liked this anthology. Too many simplistic stories where not much happens. Felt like a filler purge.
Check out my new comic Supermom: Expecting Trouble and see how a pregnant superhero tries to deal with the fact that the baby's father is her archnemesis. Free preview pack including 12 pages of art: http://www.mediafire.com/file/57986rnlgk0itfz/Supermom_Preview_Pack.pdf/file

The Monarch

Nikolai dante....err not that I am doing anything or err...yeah

Colin YNWA

Funnily enough I just started my re-read of Dante (Too Cool one not Inferno one) last night. Hopefully it'll be staggered enough that by the time I get to the end it will be finished in the Prog!

Also just about to finish 'Adventures of Tom Sawyer' which I've taken an age to get around to after read Huckleberry Finn a few years ago and it becoming one of my all time favourite books. I tell you what, 20 odd part television programmes in the pre-Newsround cartoon slot, when I was a kid, went a long way to making me almost miss these bloody wonderful books, so glad I finally got around to reading them.

TordelBack

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 27 March, 2012, 03:02:06 PMI tell you what, 20 odd part television programmes in the pre-Newsround cartoon slot, when I was a kid, went a long way to making me almost miss these bloody wonderful books, so glad I finally got around to reading them.

Heh.  I used to have nightmares about the scene in the TV programme where we see the Duke and the Dauphin [spoiler]tarred and feathered[/spoiler].  Put me off reading Huckleberry Finn until we were forced to in school - whereupon I fell in love with it.  Mainly because I didn't have to look at that lanky floppy-haired git in his baggy dungarees when I was reading it, or endure that out-of-tune opening theme.

Professor Bear

In its favour, it wasn't Johnny Briggs.

Judo

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

von Boom

Quote from: pops1983 on 27 March, 2012, 12:27:31 AM
Because of this thread and the sense of high regard this forum seems to have for the series, I decided to give Harry Harrison's Stainless Steel Rat a try.

I wasn't dissapppointed.

Reading them in chronological order is a good way to do it. It's been a while since I read them, but I read them in the order they were published in. Had to since I read them as they were published.

There could be references that might seem out of place by reading them in chronological order, but I doubt it would hinder your enjoyment of an excellent series of books.

JvB

TordelBack

Yeah, what JvB said.  I read them in publication order then re-read them in chronological order.  The only issue might be that if SSR is Born or SSR Gets Drafted mightn't grab you as a start point quite the same way TSSR does, but once you're over that hurdle you should be grand.

I, Cosh

Quote from: TordelBack on 27 March, 2012, 05:15:30 PM
Yeah, what JvB said.  I read them in publication order then re-read them in chronological order.  The only issue might be that if SSR is Born or SSR Gets Drafted mightn't grab you as a start point quite the same way TSSR does, but once you're over that hurdle you should be grand.
I'd say you're always better off reading them in publication order. I didn't think ...Born was up to the standard of the earlier books at all and a quick look at the wikipedia entry inidicates that there are now twice as many books as when I first read them.
We never really die.

ming

I picked up a lovely hardback edition of The Stainless Steel Rat Wants You while I was in NYC last month - one I'm sure I've never read (and now in the 'to read soon' pile).

Also picked up a copy of The Forever War at the same time, as I can't remember whether I've read that one or not..  :-[

GordyM

Crossed: Wish You Were Here.

How can you not love a comic that opens with a psychopath having sex with a shark?
Check out my new comic Supermom: Expecting Trouble and see how a pregnant superhero tries to deal with the fact that the baby's father is her archnemesis. Free preview pack including 12 pages of art: http://www.mediafire.com/file/57986rnlgk0itfz/Supermom_Preview_Pack.pdf/file