Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

O Lucky Stevie!

Am a quarter of the way into his first novel by that other famous Stevie. Being Mister King's latest offering  11/22/63.

ENOUGH WITH THE RAY BRADBURY REFERENCES!

The whole Jack Finney vibe, on the other hand, is class.
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

NorthVox

Just got done reading Batman: Officer Down, gonna get cracking on The Authority: Prime tonight.

Emperor

Quote from: NorthVox on 03 April, 2012, 10:18:41 PMgonna get cracking on The Authority: Prime tonight.

You have my sympathies.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

Judo

I just read Harlan Ellis's Paladin of the Lost Hour. Bit sappy but bloody good 10/10. Harlans a Leg Endx
Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

O Lucky Stevie!

But not quite as big a leg end as Harlan Ellison believes himself to be.
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

JOE SOAP

Ellison, didn't he create absolutely everything in modern SF?

O Lucky Stevie!

Sure did.

& he flew across state just to punch the blind poet Homer in the back of the head to prove it too.

Judo

write EVERYTHING. Win EVERYTHING. Sue EVERYONE. Continue to complain.

There is nothing I have ever heard about harlan that doesn't make me love him more x

Professor Bear

Judo

lol love it. Not as good as neil gaiman in a falafel in an episode on Arthur. You can search that shit on youtube cos I cannae link on my phone and its heavies lols x

SmallBlueThing

Harlan Ellison wrote me letter when i was fifteen. True fact!

Just finished the xfiles/ thirty days of night crossover from dc/idw, written by steve niles and some metal bloke from some band and drawn by someone i cant remember, but who is very good.

Cant remember a crossover i enjoyed as much as this one- not only does it feel like a proper xf episode, but also like a proper horror story. No mean feat. Bits are genuinely upsetting, and the characters of mulder and scully are very true to their (early) tv selves. There's a lot of story for your fifteen quid, as the book has a deceptively high page count due to slick, thin, paper (which i hated- almost as much as i hated the paper used in the 7 soldiers hardbacks... Is that dc standard? It's just nasty) and as a result takes a while to read. I was never an admirer of 30DoN's painted art, so this more standard illustrated style impressed me more. Well worth picking up if youre a fan of either franchise, or worth a punt if, like me, you just fancy it.

SBT

TordelBack

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 04 April, 2012, 04:17:47 PM
Harlan Ellison wrote me letter when i was fifteen. True fact!

Was it a 'cease and desist'? (Just playing the odds here)

Evil Pants

American Barbarian - Tom Scioli

I pick up pretty much everything Adhouse puts out. I don't think there's another small comics press in the US that has the love of comics that these guys do, and I've found that I usually learn to love even the books with genres or styles that I didn't think I would like. So it is with Tom Scioli. When you look at his artwork, really only one word comes to mind: Kirby. And while Godland is a tribute to space epic Kirby, American Barbarian is a pastiche of Kamandi-era Kirby: The last hero on earth fights for his future. While I might not have loved it quite as much as I do Godland, any fan of big, goofy 70's era comics should give this a shot.

Murderbook Vol. 3 by Ed Brisson

Ed Brisson is a name you're going to hear a LOT of in the next year, as he's got a bunch of projects coming out from some high profile companies. He's also a friend of mine, which is neither here nor there. He's been doing short crime comics for free on his website for a few years now, and this is the 3rd collection of those that he's put out. He is one of the 3 or 4 very best crime comic writers out there right now, and that's no hyperbole. If you like your crime comics well-plotted, with a side order of nasty, he's the guy for you. Highly recommended. 

Cura Te Ipsum by Neal Bailey and Derek Wee

I've talked about this ambitious webcomic on my blog before, but I was able to pick up the first 2 collections in Seattle at ECCC this past weekend from Bailey himself. I mention it only because I think that any serious fan of science fiction comics would be well served to try this out. A man about to kill himself is stopped...by himself. It turns out that there are thousands of alternate versions of our hero out there, but one of them has gone rogue and wants to kill the rest. Good concept, solid execution. Fantastic art.

My opinions on comics can be found here: http://fourcoloursandthetruth.wordpress.com/

Webcomics, as written by me, can be found here: http://condoofmystery.com/

johnjowens

Just started reading The Bodysnatchers by Jack Finney. Will let you know if I like it

Prior to that, I had finished reading Flesh House by Stuart MacBride. It read like a horror than a detective story. Not as good as his previous ones.

O Lucky Stevie!

Quote from: Judo on 04 April, 2012, 09:26:24 AM

There is nothing I have ever heard about harlan that doesn't make me love him more x

If you dig Ellison's prose just wait until you read Norman Spinrad, Thomas Disch, JG Ballard, Roger Zelazny, Samuel Delaney & the late 60's => mid 70s output of Robert Silverberg. Now that's writing.

Quote from: johnjowens on 05 April, 2012, 06:23:01 AM
Just started reading The Bodysnatchers by Jack Finney. Will let you know if I like it

Odds are that you will Johnjowens.

PS It's most definitely [spoiler]not about [/spoiler][spoiler]McCarthyism[/spoiler].