Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zarjazzer

Quote from: Aonghus on 09 July, 2012, 12:41:30 PM
Quote from: Zarjazzer on 07 July, 2012, 10:19:20 AM
The 6th edition of Warhammer 40k and I still can't work out who shoots who when

I hear it's still an improvement on 5th edition though! (but that was a mess so...)
I'm still happily playing 4th ed anyway :D

Ah they all have their bonkers quirks but can a terminator still get shot deed with a laspistol? Yes it looks like it can! :o
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

TordelBack

Athos in America, by Jason.  The last Jason book I read was Werewolves of Montpelier, and while it was his usual clever stuff it didn't really grab me.  This collection of shorts, kindly provided by the county library, is much more my thing.  Glorious and incredibly refined art and some really wonderful stories - the title story is terrific, but the stand-outs for me were the kidnap caper 'So Long, Mary Ann' and the Altmanesque 'Tom Waits on the Moon'.  Mad scientists and musketeers abound, much wine is drunk, many memorable moments are served.  Highly recommended.

Tjm86

Terrry Pratchett and Stephen Baxter's The Long Earth - never tried any Baxter but as a lifelong Pratchett fan it was always going to be a must read, particularly as Good Omen's was a cracking read at the time.  Can see a lot of Pratchett's standard tropes coming through so makes for an enjoyable read but the implications of infinite space for expansion and its impact on civilisation puts me in mind of Baxter's Space, Time, Origin trilogy of which Time struck me as potentially one of the most depressing books I had ever read with the quasi nomadic society on one of the Jovian (I think) moons.  Interesting stuff when you take two writers of this calibre and put them together.  Quite a change of pace from Pratchett's 'World of Poo'!

DeFuzzed

Quote from: Tjm86 on 12 July, 2012, 07:29:12 PM
Terrry Pratchett and Stephen Baxter's The Long Earth - ..... Interesting stuff when you take two writers of this calibre and put them together.  Quite a change of pace from Pratchett's 'World of Poo'!

I never even knew Pratchett had done that, will hunt for it next. And World of Poo is a classic :) - Reading Snuff right now and it just reminds me that I'd love to see a cop show based on Vimes and the Watchmen. I think there was talk of it somewhere, hope it happens.

Tiplodocus

IS this the right place for this? Can't find a LAST COMIC or TRADE READ thread?

Anyway, WALKING DEAD: A LARGER WORLDI right enjoyed this despite it having a beardy character who refers to himself as Jesus in it and some of Andrea's dialogue sticking a PLEASE KILL ME NOW sticker on her. 

There are some nicely played out fight scenes, some nice character beats and the introduction of, as the title would suggest, new communities and "a larger world". Some nice Carl moments as well. He's an intensely disliekable child.

Rick goes through two remarkable turnarounds during the course of the 100 odd pages. The first, where he suddenly decides [spoiler]"that maybe we should trade with The Hilltop people[/spoiler]" in the middle of slaughtering zombies is a bit of a stretch to believe and rushed but the final conclusion of [spoiler]"we can build an army and start living not just surviving"[/spoiler] is a nice and natural progression.

I'm always a sucker for the art and graytones (a few mutated views of Paul/Jesus face notwithstanding).

The wait between trades is killing me(I'd love to buy the comics to get up to speed but that'd just muck up my bookshelf),
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Link Prime

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 13 July, 2012, 12:33:09 PM
IS this the right place for this? Can't find a LAST COMIC or TRADE READ thread?

Anyway, WALKING DEAD: A LARGER WORLDI right enjoyed this despite it having a beardy character who refers to himself as Jesus in it and some of Andrea's dialogue sticking a PLEASE KILL ME NOW sticker on her. 

There are some nicely played out fight scenes, some nice character beats and the introduction of, as the title would suggest, new communities and "a larger world". Some nice Carl moments as well. He's an intensely disliekable child.

Rick goes through two remarkable turnarounds during the course of the 100 odd pages. The first, where he suddenly decides [spoiler]"that maybe we should trade with The Hilltop people[/spoiler]" in the middle of slaughtering zombies is a bit of a stretch to believe and rushed but the final conclusion of [spoiler]"we can build an army and start living not just surviving"[/spoiler] is a nice and natural progression.

I'm always a sucker for the art and graytones (a few mutated views of Paul/Jesus face notwithstanding).

The wait between trades is killing me(I'd love to buy the comics to get up to speed but that'd just muck up my bookshelf),

I couldnt wait for the next trade either, so downloaded the next few...1/2 price this week on Image / Comixology App.
Though the bookshelf would be a problem going that route I suppose!

mogzilla

reading my "savage" tpb that popped through the post today (thanks to lady festina,molcher and of course tharg) and as soon as i get paid i'll be getting the absalom trade... :D

Emp

Quote from: DeFuzzed on 13 July, 2012, 10:57:35 AM
Quote from: Tjm86 on 12 July, 2012, 07:29:12 PM
Terrry Pratchett and Stephen Baxter's The Long Earth - ..... Interesting stuff when you take two writers of this calibre and put them together.  Quite a change of pace from Pratchett's 'World of Poo'!

I never even knew Pratchett had done that, will hunt for it next. And World of Poo is a classic :) - Reading Snuff right now and it just reminds me that I'd love to see a cop show based on Vimes and the Watchmen. I think there was talk of it somewhere, hope it happens.

Think Sky was lined up to do one of the city Watchs books with the late Pete Postlethwaite as Vimes.

DeFuzzed

Much as I liked Postlethwaite, I would have rather they went younger, possibly beginning from the John Keel moment which would also give us an up and coming Vetinari too. Follow the two through the years and practically see a huge swathe of the Discworld people/events in the process.

judda fett

Picked up 'Creepy' Presents Richard Corben' from FP yesterday. A hefty collection of his work from Eerie and Creepy, beautifully presented with an excellent introduction by Jose Villarubia. His storytelling, composition and rendering throughout is a joy. I found Corben's work later on Heavy Metal with Den, Jeremy Brood, Vic And Blood and Mutant World so the majority of this book is new to me. It also includes covers (some of which some of you will have seen in portfolio collections over the years). The best find Ive chanced on in a while.

Fisticuffs

Batman issues #9 and #10. Awesome stuff, I just love it. The Night Of The Owls is a true epic, just a shame I can't stand any other of the Big Two's comics....

SmallBlueThing

Amazing Spider-Man 'Flying Blind', the latest hardback collection containing ASM #674-677 and Daredevil #8, in which adrian tooms, the original vulture, hires a gang of runaways to become his gang, and the nearly-dead and unrecognisable doctor octopus's sinister six go after modok and his intelligencia to see who's smarter, and finally spidey and daredevil investigate a theft from horizon labs that may or may not have been committed by the black cat.

As usual, it's a fantastic romp, perfectly-pitched and benefitting from a whole bunch of artists, which lends modern spidey the same kind of feel as classic judge dredd- in that it's mostly written by one team who absolutely get it right every time and drawn in many conflicting yet complimentary styles.

SBT

Tjm86

Quote from: Emp on 13 July, 2012, 07:32:55 PM
Quote from: DeFuzzed on 13 July, 2012, 10:57:35 AM

Think Sky was lined up to do one of the city Watchs books with the late Pete Postlethwaite as Vimes.

Saw a stage production of Guards, Guards years ago in Blackpool with Paul Darrow in the role of Vimes.  Absolutely superb and perfectly cast.  Personal highlight was having him standing on stage in a pair of fluffy slippers, with a toy dragon on his hand spouting the 'do you feel lucky' line!  He just had the jaded, world weary cynicism down to a t. 

Aonghus

Quote from: DeFuzzed on 13 July, 2012, 09:23:34 PM
Much as I liked Postlethwaite, I would have rather they went younger

Actually, Pratchett has said that his ideal Vimes was always a young Pete Postlethwaite, if this were a just universe. Nice to know you're working on the same wavelength as the great man, eh? :D

Syne

Quote from: judgefett on 14 July, 2012, 01:11:58 PM
Picked up 'Creepy' Presents Richard Corben' from FP yesterday. A hefty collection of his work from Eerie and Creepy, beautifully presented with an excellent introduction by Jose Villarubia. His storytelling, composition and rendering throughout is a joy. I found Corben's work later on Heavy Metal with Den, Jeremy Brood, Vic And Blood and Mutant World so the majority of this book is new to me. It also includes covers (some of which some of you will have seen in portfolio collections over the years). The best find Ive chanced on in a while.

I'm fascinated by Corben's art. The first time I saw it I found it repugnant, but since then I've got to like it more and more. The solidity and weight of his figures, the way they look like they're made from compressed sausage meat, the grotesque anatomy of his nudes (especially Den, in which "sausage" is especially appropriate). Also those incredibly rich colours. He's one of a kind.