Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 18 July, 2012, 08:08:09 PM
He's got an ology??? well... I can't really remember any more of the 30 year old TV advert..!

Somewhat non sequitoristic, but I liked this:

Richmond Clements

Quote from: TordelBack on 18 July, 2012, 08:37:41 PM
Quote from: Richmond Clements on 18 July, 2012, 08:08:09 PM
He's got an ology??? well... I can't really remember any more of the 30 year old TV advert..!

Somewhat non sequitoristic, but I liked this:

Excellent!

JOE SOAP

A bit of Clint and Grike wets your Crevice.

Mikey

Quote from: TordelBack on 18 July, 2012, 07:33:32 PM
Quote from: Richmond Clements on 18 July, 2012, 07:01:52 PM
An astonishing book.
Here's my review from last year: http://hiexcomics.blogspot.co.uk/2010/11/john-hicklentons-100-months-review.html
</plug>

Ach, sure I read your review at the time, but you're a known promoter of any old tosh.  Mikey's got an -ology.

He won't want me to say this, he's far too nice, but Richmond helped me with the big words.

M.
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

judgefloyd

just for fun, I'm re-reading 'The Iron Legion', a collection of old Dr Who comics written by John Wagner and Pat Mills and drawn by Dave Gibbons and Steve Moore.  Good pulpy fun.
  I'm also reading the very first Biggles book to my son.  Take that, Boche!

SmallBlueThing

Batman #521 and #522

I had no idea this existed- in fact, despite knowing that i love killer croc and swamp thing, and enjoy the comical works of mr doug moench and mr kelley jones, a batman-liking friend failed to mention this during a  long conversation a month or two ago. Tut.

Basically, killer croc escapes from 'new arkham', after being contacted by swamp thing promising peace in 'the wet dark'. Croc hijacks a steam train and drives it to houma, pursued by batman in the batmobile- who for some reason cant stop him.

They get to the swampland and croc disappears into its wet, dark embrace, while batman squares up against swampy to find out why these two issues have happened in the first place.

It's an absolute delight. Orchestrated entirely to allow kelley jones to draw steam engines, swamps and gothic architecture, it's a joy. I have no idea if they ever followed up this strand of killer croc's story, or if this stands as a one-off, but if batman read like this more often i might be tempted to (cont)

SmallBlueThing

(cont) pick up the book more often. As it stands, im definitely going to get the whole of the moench/jones run, however long it lasted.

SBT

SMUDGE10

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 21 July, 2012, 10:23:13 AM
As it stands, im definitely going to get the whole of the moench/jones run, however long it lasted.

SBT

Twas a mighty fine run! A good year or two I think.
I have most of them under a layer of dust somewhere....

Wonder what Kelly Jones is doing these days?
"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence."
― Christopher Hitchens

PreacherCain

Recently picked up an old copy of Boba Fett: Death, Lies and Deception (or something) in a second hand book store, entirely due to the fact that John Wagner and Cam Kennedy were the creative team.

Having not read many Star Wars comics, I loved this! It had Wagner's vein of black humour throughout and absolutely lovely art by Cam Kennedy. Boba Fett in particular looked great, as if his armour had been dragged along the ground and was all roughed up. It had been a  long time since I'd seen Cam Kennedy's art too and it made me really want to see him on Dredd again! Surely it's time for a new installment of Kenny Who? !?

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: PreacherCain on 21 July, 2012, 05:10:09 PM
It had been a  long time since I'd seen Cam Kennedy's art too and it made me really want to see him on Dredd again! Surely it's time for a new installment of Kenny Who? !?

Hate to be the one to have to break this to you but Cam's eyesight has deteriorated in recent years to the point where he can no longer draw - so we've had our lot from the great man. And a sad smiley seems a horribly glib and insincere thing to add to that, but the sentiment is heartfelt -  :(
@jamesfeistdraws

PreacherCain

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 21 July, 2012, 05:23:22 PM
Quote from: PreacherCain on 21 July, 2012, 05:10:09 PM
It had been a  long time since I'd seen Cam Kennedy's art too and it made me really want to see him on Dredd again! Surely it's time for a new installment of Kenny Who? !?

Hate to be the one to have to break this to you but Cam's eyesight has deteriorated in recent years to the point where he can no longer draw - so we've had our lot from the great man. And a sad smiley seems a horribly glib and insincere thing to add to that, but the sentiment is heartfelt -  :(

Ah that's terrible news, I hadn't heard that. He's a great artist, sad to hear we won't be seeing any new work from him.

Syne

That is sad. Kennedy's art is synonymous with classic 2000ad for me, and I'm sure for many others. Hope he's enjoying his retirement, eyesight problems notwithstanding.

The Bissler

I'm really saddened to hear that news about Cam Kennedy.   I loved the V.C.s as well as his work on Dredd and Rogue Trooper. 
Of particular joy to me as a teenager was his art in "The Midnight Surfer" which featured Chopper's first outing in the Supersurf.  Cam's art brought to life a brilliant Dredd tale and his illustration of Chopper's antics on the powerboard gave me a real thrill, so much so that it was a story that I revisited on numerous occasions (and think I may do so again now).  Definitely one of my all-time favourite 2000AD artists.     

Syne

"Saturday Night Fever" part 1, the Dredd story in prog 417, was one of the first Dredds I ever read. The final frame - where the Rodentine Sewer Gas starts to corrode the faces of the rioters - introduced me to the kind of ghastly thrills 2000ad could provide.

Link Prime

Quote from: Syne on 22 July, 2012, 07:24:41 AM
"Saturday Night Fever" part 1, the Dredd story in prog 417, was one of the first Dredds I ever read. The final frame - where the Rodentine Sewer Gas starts to corrode the faces of the rioters - introduced me to the kind of ghastly thrills 2000ad could provide.

That exact scene burned into my young mind too Syne. Genius on a level that is indescribable.
Very sorry to hear about Cam Kennedy's eyesight.