Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

O Lucky Stevie!

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 24 July, 2012, 02:58:02 PM
Other than ridgway's run on colin baker stories, the dr who comic strip was never anywhere near as good again, and likely never will be.

SBT

Well said good sir! The latter Baker's tenure wasn't helped by the fact that whatever JNT was putting on the box couldn't hold a candle to Once Upon A Time Lord or the monumental magnificence of Voyager.

That said, Dan Abnett's The Silent Stars Go By is the best of the new, lichurry type Who hardcover novels. So one would imagine that either he, John Smith or Alec Worley could give those black & white classics a good run for their money.
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

O Lucky Stevie!

Quote from: O Lucky Stevie! on 25 July, 2012, 08:04:53 AM
Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 24 July, 2012, 02:58:02 PM
Other than ridgway's run on colin baker stories, the dr who comic strip was never anywhere near as good again, and likely never will be.

SBT

Well said good sir! The latter Baker's tenure wasn't helped by the fact that whatever JNT was putting on the box couldn't hold a candle to Once Upon A Time Lord or the monumental magnificence of Voyager.

That said, Dan Abnett's The Silent Stars Go By is the best of the new, lichurry tipe Who hardcover novels. So one would imagine that either he, John Smith or Alec Worley could give those black & white bonafide Classics a good run for their money.
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

SmallBlueThing

Abnett, worley, smith or not, im unsure if i could bring myself to read a nuwho novel or strip. Just the thought of having to picture eccleston, tennant or the current one while reading puts me off. And money spent on nuwho guff is money removed from the ongoing fund to one day buy 'dr who and the invasion from space' (or 'invaders from space', i forget)- the first, hartnell, piece of original fiction- which normally goes for just south of a hundred quid. That, and the original dalek book.

SBT

DeFuzzed

Tar Aiym Krang, by Alan Dean Foster.

Read this decades ago and rereading it again. Good stuff. I remember wanting a Pip of my own and the yearning's come back all over again. Love to see this on TV or the movies too.

judgefloyd

more of Dragon's Claw tonight (Tom Baker Doctor Who comic stuff) and a skerick of 'Another Self' by the very very annoying James Lees-Milne, then a bit of 'Gimlet Comes Home' by none other than Captain W.E. Johns

By the way, I heard in a radio interview with Alan Moore years ago that he had written Dr Who comics for a bit.  Has anyone read these?  If so, how were they?

Tjm86

Quote from: judgefloyd on 25 July, 2012, 02:14:47 PM
more of Dragon's Claw tonight (Tom Baker Doctor Who comic stuff) and a skerick of 'Another Self' by the very very annoying James Lees-Milne, then a bit of 'Gimlet Comes Home' by none other than Captain W.E. Johns

By the way, I heard in a radio interview with Alan Moore years ago that he had written Dr Who comics for a bit.  Has anyone read these?  If so, how were they?

Might want to try this http://waveyourgeekflag.blogspot.com/2012/01/alan-moores-doctor-who-comic.html

mogzilla

absalom, the life and death of johnny alpha and the walking dead "rise of the guvnor" and zarjaz!

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Tjm86 on 27 July, 2012, 12:41:25 PM
Quote from: judgefloyd on 25 July, 2012, 02:14:47 PM

Might want to try this http://waveyourgeekflag.blogspot.com/2012/01/alan-moores-doctor-who-comic.html

WarDog and his gang crossed-over into Moore's Captain Britain story.

Colin YNWA

Just finished Grant Morrison's Supergods. I absolutely loved the first half it really managed to balance its three strands, a retrospective on comics of the day; linking that to how society shaped them and how in return comics affect the world outside and finally from the 60s on all of this is shadowed by biography. It all fits together seamlessly and is a fantastic read.

As Grant starts his career the book is on fine form, but the further into his career it goes the more the cohesion between the three aspect starts to unravel. Until by the end it all seems like a bunch of short unrelated mind farts... oh and he has a nasty story about Sheffield which of course made me made as a badger  on meths (actually its pretty funny if a bit disturbing. I hope he's been back since???). The individual stories are often fine but it lacked the insights, aside from some delightful personal stories. Where as the first half made sense you almost suspect he was too close to what was going on in the industry to really add any useful analysis.

Shame it all started so well.

HdE

In an uncharacteristic move, I just bought the first two volumes of Marvel's 'Cable Classic' series.

Brief history in a nutshell: We took in a young fella from London a few years bac, and he had a shoebox full of Marvel comics. The guy in question was a horrible twat, and eventually came to a sticky end. But I DID enjoy reading his Cable comics.

So... I bought these hoping for more of the same. They're a bit more retro than I had expected, but solid so far. Lots of guns-blazing tough-guy fun!
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/

KingMonkeysUnkle

Elephantmen is my current vice. I was dubious at first but thought the art looked tasty, and now I'm hooked. The story flits and skips around each issue but you never feel like your dislocated from the plot. Really good stuff.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It 'aint the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.

TordelBack

Quote from: judgefloyd on 25 July, 2012, 02:14:47 PM...then a bit of 'Gimlet Comes Home' by none other than Captain W.E. Johns

I used to love Gimlet, even preferred his commando antics to Biggles - does it stand up to adult re-reading? 

Gimlet Bores In must be one of the greatest book titles of all time, plus it has Biggles in it (doing taxi duty).

In other Johns news, I tried to re-read Kings of Space recently, the start of a series that was probably my favourite thing in the world when I was 9 and desperately waiting for Empire Strikes Back to come out, and it was... disappointing.

HdE

Took a break from Cable Classic today to read 'Batman: A Death In The Family', which is described on the cover as a 'ground breaking classic'.

It's neither. In fact, I found it surprisingly twee and dated, even considering its age. I want my money back.
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/

Karl Stephan

Salem Brownstone: All along the Watchtowers
DeathNote vol. 1
Tank Girl - Visions of Booga

Death Note was the best of the three. Salem Brown is well illustrated and the story is good, but the two just don't seem to match. Tank Girl, I find, is good in short spurts but less so in anything with a plot.

Satanist

Started using old Fighting Fantasy books to get my son into reading. Started with Deathtrap Dungeon as that was my fave as a kid and so far its worked a charm.

So bought one of the new ones, Howl of the Werewolf (by Jonathon Green) which was easier than the old ones but was bursting with great classic horror ideas. Everything from werewolves, vampires, headless horseman,Frankenstein and more. We've had such a laugh that while looking for others I saw theres a new one out this week to celebrate its 30 years since Firetop Mountain.

Its called Blood of the Zombies (cover by Greg Staples) and it just came in the post from Amazon. Mine & sons thoughts will follow.

Oh and is it really that long since I took along the Sorcery books to while away my hols in Tiree? Christ I'm getting auld.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?