Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Third Estate Ned

There's a dilemma now regarding the parallels between GoT the televised series and the books. I've seen both series and wanted to read the books, but on starting the first one I found myself thinking yes, yes, I know all that. On the other hand, if you read the books first, although I know there are differences, the impact of the show would be taken away.

Richmond Clements

Quote from: Third Estate Ned on 06 September, 2012, 06:25:45 PM
There's a dilemma now regarding the parallels between GoT the televised series and the books. I've seen both series and wanted to read the books, but on starting the first one I found myself thinking yes, yes, I know all that. On the other hand, if you read the books first, although I know there are differences, the impact of the show would be taken away.

Bit of both, I'm finding. Know what is coming is cool because a) I'm looking forward to seeing my favourite scenes come to life like the[spoiler] final scene in season 1[/spoiler]. Or, and this is the best, looking forward to the reactions of people who haven't read the books to events like the [spoiler]death of Ned Stark[/spoiler].
But I was finding on reading this I was seeing certain characters - like Samwell and Sansa - as the actors rather than as they appeared in my head previously. 

GordyM

I can't recommend The Underwater Welder graphic novel by Jeff Lemire highly enough (a wee review of it can be found here: http://talkcomix.com/index.php?view=review&cat=2-most+recent&rev=89-&option=com_simple_review&Itemid=59 where I spraff silly over it).

Possibly comic of the year. It's definitely gonna snap up an award or three.
Check out my new comic Supermom: Expecting Trouble and see how a pregnant superhero tries to deal with the fact that the baby's father is her archnemesis. Free preview pack including 12 pages of art: http://www.mediafire.com/file/57986rnlgk0itfz/Supermom_Preview_Pack.pdf/file

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 06 September, 2012, 06:30:42 PM
But I was finding on reading this I was seeing certain characters - like Samwell and Sansa - as the actors rather than as they appeared in my head previously.

I know what you mean, most likely all future generations will think Legolas from Lord of the Rings looks like Orlando Bloom.

I read the books first, specifically to avoid colouring my interpretation of the characters beforehand. Even so, when I started reading the second book (after watching season 1), I found that many of the characters' accents had changed in my head.

You may quote me on that.

Link Prime

Quote from: GordyM on 06 September, 2012, 06:37:43 PM
I can't recommend The Underwater Welder graphic novel by Jeff Lemire highly enough (a wee review of it can be found here: http://talkcomix.com/index.php?view=review&cat=2-most+recent&rev=89-&option=com_simple_review&Itemid=59 where I spraff silly over it).

Possibly comic of the year. It's definitely gonna snap up an award or three.

Cheers Gordy, that slipped under my radar (*sigh*). Will pick up on Comixolgy later.

GordyM

Quote from: Link Prime on 07 September, 2012, 12:59:45 PM
Cheers Gordy, that slipped under my radar (*sigh*). Will pick up on Comixolgy later.

You're welcome. I'm just glad one of the guys in a comic writer group I'm a part of flagged it up or I would've missed it too. I wish it had been better publicised as it deserves to be a massive hit.
Check out my new comic Supermom: Expecting Trouble and see how a pregnant superhero tries to deal with the fact that the baby's father is her archnemesis. Free preview pack including 12 pages of art: http://www.mediafire.com/file/57986rnlgk0itfz/Supermom_Preview_Pack.pdf/file

Link Prime

Quote from: GordyM on 09 September, 2012, 11:48:47 AM
Quote from: Link Prime on 07 September, 2012, 12:59:45 PM

You're welcome. I'm just glad one of the guys in a comic writer group I'm a part of flagged it up or I would've missed it too. I wish it had been better publicised as it deserves to be a massive hit.

It certainly does.
And by the way- actually 3 quid cheaper on iBooks (only €4.99).

SmallBlueThing

I received a pile of batman comics from a frend the other day, and while reading through them i came upon 'batman and robin the boy wonder' #5, by frank miller and jim lee, in which wonder woman hates men- bloody hates them. Especially superman. But after he demonstrates he can beat her up, she snogs him. And then batman saves a woman from being raped, so she calls him 'sir' a lot and says she loves him, but he doesnt believe her 'because nobody can love anybody these days' . And frank miller's really lost it these days, hasnt he? 

SBT

O Lucky Stevie!

Throw in erotic impalment resulting from a nail bomb explosion & you've got the first half of Holy Shit Terror right there SBT.

Stevie's just followed his reread of Al Ewing's Pax Britannica trilogy with I, Zombie. Although beardy-boy was clocking his dance moves from Richard Matheson & styling his hair after Arthur C Clarke for this one, there's no mistaking it for being none other than the bullet time love child of Howard Phillips & Herbert George.

May 2013 & The Fictional Man can't come soon enough for this Stevie.

"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

SmallBlueThing

It's probably a topic for a thread all of its own, but why is modern batman so diabolical? I can understand a lot of people liked the 'hush' storyline and were impressed by jim lee's art- but is there any reason all batman now has to look like its traced over jim lee's discarded pencils? The comic i mentioned above is obviously the product of a diseased mind and lee is only mirroring it in his halfhearted art; which in comparison to 'hush' is plainly the man giving it all the attention it deserves, but ive also picked the first three issues of titan's monthly A4 reprint, and the two strips it prints are impossible to tell apart. Both look like 'hush' with the brightness turned down.
SBT

TordelBack

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 14 September, 2012, 09:37:44 AM
It's probably a topic for a thread all of its own, but why is modern batman so diabolical?

I suspect you're not talking about all of the current Batman stuff there SBT, and we, and most people, are in complete agreemet re: Miller's All Star Batman and RtBW (which is now in the past, thankfully).

There are at least two genuinely good Batman books out there at present, Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo's Batman and Grant Morrison and Chris Burnham's Batman Incorporated - both are inventive and fun, and look (IMHO) great. Yes, Capullo has shades of Jim Lee and I'm not mad about the regular inker, but he's far more restrained and focussed on action and image rather than scratchy static tableaux.  And no-one could accuse Burnham of being anything but brilliant. 

I'm quite a bit behind in both books, but what I have read was great, and if you need convincing, I give you Batcow:

Colin YNWA

Quote from: TordelBack on 14 September, 2012, 10:14:41 AM

There are at least two genuinely good Batman books out there at present, Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo's Batman and Grant Morrison and Chris Burnham's Batman Incorporated - both are inventive and fun, and look (IMHO) great. Yes, Capullo has shades of Jim Lee and I'm not mad about the regular inker, but he's far more restrained and focussed on action and image rather than scratchy static tableaux. 

This is absolutely right... well as you see I dropped a tiny bit off the end, but the rest is spot on.

JamesC

Hush looked pretty good but I really dislike Jim Lee's design's for the new look Justice League. All those high collars and intricate seams just look awful.
It's like he's been inspired by Frank Quitely but hasn't been able to pull it off.

Grant Morrison put forward some really nice Batman costume ideas which are in the back of one of the Batman and Robin collections. These designs included training shoe style boots and an illuminated Bat-signal chest emblem.
I wish DC had gone with these designs - and kept the flying Batmobile - in it's main New 52 continuity. It just seemed more radical and forward looking.

Zarjazzer

No More Heroes 3 a great read and art. some brutal first panels but lovingly done in b&w. Written by someone on these 'ere boards.intriguing last panel.
Great cover too red eyes on a black b/g.
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

DeFuzzed

Dodger, Terry Pratchett, 2012.

Set in Victorian London, full of cockney slang, a fun fantastical-yet-realistic twist on the Artful Dodger which I much prefer. Not just a fun story too, pretty educational, and I wish my history lessons had been taught by Prof Pratchett.