Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zarjazzer

Rocket Raccoon Guardian of the Keystone Quadrant -never have I read such insane storytelling or coked up madness disguised as a comic. We have a talking raccoon and walrus aiding the Hulk against killer clowns and murderous black rabbit assassins. It's like th e ultimate 60's trip to Marvel cosmicdom where Cthulhu was in the bullpen as opposed to Stan Lee. I haven't even finished the first story and my mind is just reeling at the bonkersness of it all.    :o :o :o :o
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

Darren Stephens

Currently getting stuck into Avengers : The Heroic Age, a huge wodge of hardbacked, super-heroic fun. Seems pretty good storywise, involving time travel, huge beasties and lots of fighting. The first few chapters are drawn by our very own Alan Davis. Truly beautiful artwork. The later part of the book has John Romita Jr, another favourite of mine.  Lovely stuff!
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

Aonghus

Bought Leviathan the other day, mainly for that beautiful D'Israeli artwork, but the story itself was cracking as well! I was really chuffed with it, left me wanting more.

On a similarly nautical theme, I'm pondering The Massive by Wood and Donaldson as my next purchase; any opinions on it?

Mabs

I'm reading Y The Last Man (Deluxe Hardcover) book 2, just halfway through and really enjoying it ! Pia Guerra's artwork is absolutely brilliant. I know a lot of fans have commented on how its too 'pop arty' but I think it complements the story really well. Also reading Judge Dredd Case Files 05; had it delivered (from Amazon) a few days back and have been thoroughly entertained by it!  :D On top of all that just finished 2000AD prog 1802 last night - in a word, superb!
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Mabs

Quote from: Aonghus on 30 September, 2012, 08:23:19 PM
Bought Leviathan the other day, mainly for that beautiful D'Israeli artwork, but the story itself was cracking as well! I was really chuffed with it, left me wanting more.

On a similarly nautical theme, I'm pondering The Massive by Wood and Donaldson as my next purchase; any opinions on it?

Leviathan is on top of my (comic book) shopping list! Heard nothing but praise for it. And seeing as I'm enjoying Ian Edginton's Brass Sun in the Prog's, I thought it a must buy!

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Kerrin

Quote from: Hap Hazzard on 20 September, 2012, 07:23:35 PM
Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 20 September, 2012, 08:19:05 AM
Quote from: Hap Hazzard on 20 September, 2012, 05:13:52 AM
At home I'm reading for the second time The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay. Great book.

Isn't it just, one of my all time favs. Always doing the rounds with my friends but must get to a read myself at some point.

Yeah it's superb. I do think Chabon's The Yiddish Policemans Union is the better book though by a margin, but jeez that guy can write a good book.

After reading this I got hold of both the books mentioned. I'm about half way through Kavalier and Clay and can happily report it's one of the best drokkin' books I have ever had the pleasure to read! I would unreservedly recommend it to anyone. Thanks fellas.

Satanist

Quote from: Mabs on 30 September, 2012, 08:51:54 PM
I'm reading Y The Last Man (Deluxe Hardcover) book 2

Love Y and really wish it was on HBO  :)

Oh and you're in for a treat with Leviathan.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

Mabs

Quote from: Satanist on 01 October, 2012, 12:27:20 AM
Quote from: Mabs on 30 September, 2012, 08:51:54 PM
I'm reading Y The Last Man (Deluxe Hardcover) book 2

Love Y and really wish it was on HBO  :)

Oh and you're in for a treat with Leviathan.

Thanks mate! Looking forward to reading it. As for Y, I agree, a mere film cannot do it justice, it would have to be a series like The Walking Dead, although much shorter than that!

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Hap Hazzard

Quote from: Kerrin on 30 September, 2012, 09:30:15 PM
Quote from: Hap Hazzard on 20 September, 2012, 07:23:35 PM
Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 20 September, 2012, 08:19:05 AM
Quote from: Hap Hazzard on 20 September, 2012, 05:13:52 AM
At home I'm reading for the second time The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay. Great book.

Isn't it just, one of my all time favs. Always doing the rounds with my friends but must get to a read myself at some point.

Yeah it's superb. I do think Chabon's The Yiddish Policemans Union is the better book though by a margin, but jeez that guy can write a good book.

After reading this I got hold of both the books mentioned. I'm about half way through Kavalier and Clay and can happily report it's one of the best drokkin' books I have ever had the pleasure to read! I would unreservedly recommend it to anyone. Thanks fellas.

You're welcome. Wait until you read Yiddish Policemens Union.  Superb alternate history crime thriller.  Fantastic book.

That's just, like, uh, your opinion, man.

Darren Stephens

On Saturday I picked up "The Nao of Brown", by Glyn Dillon. It's a strange one, but utterly fantastic so far.
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

COMMANDO FORCES

I'm reading ASH by James Herbert at the moment. I wish he would write faster, as I've waited 6 years for this one!

Once I've finished this it's back to the Horus Heresy novels, as the latest one turned up the other day.

Mardroid

At the library today I found Pratchett's discworld novel: The Last Continent.

Then on the way out, on checking the returned section I came across two classic sci-fi books: Farenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury and The Body Snatchers by Jack Finney.

I've seen the films of both (three of them in the case of The Body Snatchers -incidentally the 70s version Invasion of the Body Snatchers* is  my favourite) but heard little of the books, so I'm intrigued how they'll be.

Despite reading 2000 AD and generally liking science fiction as a genre, I'm not really into it from a prose fiction POV, tending towards horror and fantasy where that is concerned, so this should be interesting.

*I'm not usually a fan of remakes, unless the previous version(s) are bad. The earlier Body Snatchers film was fine, bu in my defence, Invasion.. was the first version of the film that I ever saw, not even realising it was  remake at the time. I saw Bodysnatchers later and, while it was okay, I much prefer the 70s version. It has such wonderful quirky characters, and there was something about the older style that drew me in less. Infidel that I am.

O Lucky Stevie!

Quote from: Mardroid on 01 October, 2012, 09:16:12 PM
Despite reading 2000 AD and generally liking science fiction as a genre, I'm not really into it from a prose fiction POV, tending towards horror and fantasy where that is concerned, so this should be interesting.

Snap! Stevie's not a fan of fantasy or horror per se, but some of his favourite authors are.

Read Jack Finney's The Body Snatchers last year. You're in for a real treat there Mardroid..
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

Mabs

I just finished reading the first volume of Sweet Tooth last night - and it was drokkin' awesome! Lemire's artwork is stunning. I read The Underwater Welder not too long ago and fell in love with his storytelling. He's a name I will definitely look out for in the future.

My Twitter @nexuswookie

DeFuzzed

Jumper, by Steven Gould.

Nothing like the movie. I think the only thing they had in common was the name Jumper and the jumping. Everything else, including the main character, completely unlike the one I saw in the movie. Reminded me of the Bourne Identity - I read that after seeing the movie first too, and it was quite a shock to see how different it was.

The book was full of bad dialogue and bad plots and bad scenes and truly dumb scenes, so it really should thank the film for making it cooler than it originally was. And here I was thinking the film wasn't all that good, but yep, definitely appreciate it more now I see what a true adaptation could have been like.