Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dandontdare

Quote from: Mabs on 02 October, 2012, 09:09:10 AM
I just finished reading the first volume of Sweet Tooth last night - and it was drokkin' awesome! Lemire's artwork is stunning. I read The Underwater Welder not too long ago and fell in love with his storytelling. He's a name I will definitely look out for in the future.

I found 'sweet tooth in captivity' in the library recently, but haven't read the first one. Grim as fuck. I think I described it a few pages back as 'Bambi meets the Walking Dead'

Spikes

Thanks to the forum's resident Thrill-pusher betel_uk, a big wodge of back progs.

El Chivo

The Great Game book 2 of Nikolai Dante

Working my way thru the back catalogue having jumped in on this half way thru
Love it, really cool to see how characters are introduced & develop

Chi

Zarjazzer

The Tower Chronicles scribed by Matt Wagner and illos by Simon Bisley. Basically a  bounty hunter/merc with a mysterious past hunts ghosts and ghoulies in a modern setting. Whilst very influenced by the Bat and Blade I found it a very good read. I was never bored and the story fairly raced along ably helped by Bisley's work. A dark hero obviously but not like the 90's-Tower even has his own lawyer. I have a terrible cold at the moment and reading it helped me forget the snuffles, sneezes and snorts for a little while. Some chuckles like naming a vampire Davros-perhaps they're Dr Who fans secretly.

A little snippet at the end by Matt Wagner on how he came up with the character and links between comics and film.Alas no extra bits for Bisley's art or Jim Lee's cover.

Probably be coming to cinema near you eventually.No bad thing and part two is out in November. I'll be getting that as well. i hope they do some extras like in the twoofy trades.
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

Colin YNWA

I might well pick that up this weekend (assuming they have it in my LCS) normally anything by Matt Wagner is a defo for me but everything I read about the made it sound so uninspiring and I'm not the biggest fan of Bisley's work of late, though that said it seems to have been inked really well... who am I kidding I'll end up getting it so glad to hear some positive words about it.

Zarjazzer

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 05 October, 2012, 03:55:44 PM
I might well pick that up this weekend (assuming they have it in my LCS) normally anything by Matt Wagner is a defo for me but everything I read about the made it sound so uninspiring and I'm not the biggest fan of Bisley's work of late, though that said it seems to have been inked really well... who am I kidding I'll end up getting it so glad to hear some positive words about it.

Doubt it will win many awards for originality -it is formulaic but the formula works IMHO.I got Four horseman by teh BIZ and that is good but this is slightly better in that it's coloured and inked well. The hero John Tower looks more like he's stepped out of a D&D game rather than the usual "dark-cape".
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

House of Usher

I've been reading Seamus Heaney without any real enjoyment, but it's work and all that matters is being able to respond to it. I'm also reading Jane Eyre but without having the time to make much headway more than a chapter a day. That's the slow way to get through it.

I'm re-taking A-level English with 23 years having elapsed since last time.
STRIKE !!!

Mabs

Quote from: Dandontdare on 04 October, 2012, 07:38:54 PM
Quote from: Mabs on 02 October, 2012, 09:09:10 AM
I just finished reading the first volume of Sweet Tooth last night - and it was drokkin' awesome! Lemire's artwork is stunning. I read The Underwater Welder not too long ago and fell in love with his storytelling. He's a name I will definitely look out for in the future.

I found 'sweet tooth in captivity' in the library recently, but haven't read the first one. Grim as fuck. I think I described it a few pages back as 'Bambi meets the Walking Dead'

It is pretty grim Dandontdare, but if you can, then I really recommend you to read the first volume because you get a clearer picture of how Sweet Tooth (Gus) came to be where he is. Its a really great read, a cross between The Road and Mad Max.

Have you read The Underwater Welder also by Lemire? It is quite possibly the best graphic novel of the year - absolutely stunning (although Brandom Graham's awesome Prophet volume 1 comes close).

At the moment I'm reading Dan Abnett's awesome Kingdom Volume 1 and 2! I love the whole premise, not to mention Gene the Hackman! ''GET WHET''! :D
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

I, Cosh

Not long finished Dark Fire, CJ Sansom's second Shardlake yarn. The central mystery is rather more far-fetched and far less satisfying than the first book's Name of the English Rose. The real meat of the book, however, remains the evocation of Tudor England and the social change it was undergoing. It's a fascinating period and he really brings to life the impact of the tremendous political, religious and social upheaval which was going on. Something I've never had any real empathy for.

Just about finished Death of A River Guide, by Richard Flanagan. Man, this guy can write a bit. About Tasmania. Like all his other books. To be fair, this was his first and you can already see flashes of the fireworks that illuminated Gould's Book of Fish and, fully formed, the desire to spin one story straight out from another in an endless chain of invention which made that work.

Also about halfway through the giant doorstop collection of Pete Milligan's X-Statix. I wasn't really enjoying the early part of it and was worried that this was an early product of the modern Milligan who I've finally given up on. However, once it drops the X-Force banner and becomes its own title, the whole enterprise becomes much more entertaining.
We never really die.

Professor Bear

Bob Byrne's Mister Amperduke, which is exactly the kind of project creators cutting their teeth on 2000ad need to show the world after their tenure with Tharg, rather than some rehashed sub-Vertigo tosh or whatever pre-plotted spandex bullshit they've been handed by the DC/Marvel round table.  Most here on the board will likely hate it because it doesn't feature some sneering elitist with superhuman abilities making sarky remarks or being humorlessly macho as he wades through an ocean of gore drawn from faceless corpses, but they are wrong as usual and you'd think they'd be tired of it by now.
Mister Amperduke is fantastic, shifting between whimsical and horrifying as it relates the wordless tale of the titular Sherman Amperduke and his lovably-crafted little town of Lego people that he keeps in his basement and tends during the retirement he has earned as this is a dude who has Seen Some Shit in the wars, man, and while Byrne has a keener eye than a surface reading of the material might suggest, capturing the visual quirks of dismissive kids and bastard grandkids well, he kind-of-sort-of cheats on the "wordless" part of the book's remit in a clever pictographic way that I will be shocked if it hasn't been nicked already by the usual suspects.  It's not as surreal as you might think, merely running with the outlandish setup and deriving the various stories from it (the book comprises six chapters, one epilogue, and two shorter stories and backup material), but it's rewarding stuff and well worth a read.

TordelBack

Quote from: Professah Byah on 08 October, 2012, 11:57:48 PM
Bob Byrne's Mister Amperduke, which is exactly the kind of project creators cutting their teeth on 2000ad need to show the world after their tenure with Tharg...

Amperduke of course precedes Bob's dalliance with Betelgeusian green.  And truly brilliant it is too. 

JOE SOAP

Professor Bear

Quote from: TordelBack on 09 October, 2012, 12:27:40 AMAmperduke of course precedes Bob's dalliance with Betelgeusian green.

Hence my carefully-worded phrasing!  There's a strip in the back (reprinted from Spazzmoid/Clamnuts, I presume) that details the creation of the book over a tortuously long period and brought to mind my own struggles to get a GN finished, but it leaves no doubt that it precedes the dalliance with The Green One - though it doesn't stop them putting "acclaimed 2000ad writer and artist" on the back to help shift the book.
"Acclaimed" - that shit's in print, haters.  SUCK IT.

JOE SOAP

The long-form comic (2008) didn't get finished till after he'd gotten Bob Byrne's Twisted Tales first published in 2000AD (2007).

PreacherCain

Mr. Amperduke is fantastic. I love Byrne's work in 2000AD, it's great to see something from a little left-field get into the Prog and gives it a nice sense of variety. Would love to see him do something like a Mr. Amperduke-style story of a bunch of 2000AD characters.

Or ABC Warriors  :D