Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SmallBlueThing

Quote from: Mabs on 16 October, 2012, 05:59:46 PM
Quote from: judgefett on 16 October, 2012, 03:59:00 PM
Quote from: Mabs on 14 October, 2012, 06:58:20 PM
Just read Bigfoot #1 over at ComicXology, I thought it was superb. The artwork by Richard Corben is brilliant. Ever since I saw his artwork for The Crooked Man (Hellboy Vol 10); I fell in love with his really spooky and atmospheric style. (I urge comic lover's to read Crooked Man; it's one of the most scariest and creepiest comic i've read!). I tried looking over at Amazon if they. Had Bigfoot TPB, but they were going for £50 to £60 a pop! That is way out of my budget. I think it's out of print hence the insane valuation.  :-\

Bigfoot is superb- track down the collected trade, its lovely and would make a great horror movie (its co-written by Steve Niles and Rob Zombie).
If you like Corben and horror Id suggest you track down the recent 'Creepy- Richard Corben' collection. Superb hardcover collection with essays and covers too.

Thanks for the tip mate!  I just love Corben's artwork, and the Bigfoot story was absolutely brilliant! Such a shame I can't get hold of the TPB :(

But i'll definitely have a look into the title you mentioned!

Cheers!

If you read German, BIGFOOT is available in hardback from Amazon for less than twelve quid, including postage. http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/3936480982/sr=8-2/qid=1350410436/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&qid=1350410436&seller=&sr=8-2

But you have to read German, because it's the German language edition. Which is an arse.

SBT

Mabs

Quote from: HdE on 16 October, 2012, 06:53:27 PM
Agreed that Y: The Last Man is a real page turner. Definitely worth hunting down book 4. it's not the sort of series where you can really afford to miss anything.

Over here, I've decided that I really need to cut into my reading pile, as it has grown MONSTROUSLY out of control. So, presently, I'm reading through the Dredd case files vol 2, The complete Deadpool and Cable (or Cable and Deadpool, if you want to be picky) volume 2, as well as the Brian Reed halo comics. Gotta say - those are something a bit neat.

Case Files 02 has to be my favourite volume because it has two of my favourite Judge Dredd stories: The Cursed Earth (saga) and The Day the Law Died (or The Emperor Cal-igula saga! :D)

And I agree that missing a book of Y will spoil everything. So I was quite pleased to find Y volume 7 in my local library earlier this evening. Just finished reading it - the reason being that if I don't manage to find Book 4, then at least i'll know what went on before I jump onto Book 5. Of course that still wouldn't help as I would still miss volume 8! :D, I think i'll hold out until I find said volume from somewhere! :D
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Mabs

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 16 October, 2012, 07:03:12 PM
Quote from: Mabs on 16 October, 2012, 05:59:46 PM
Quote from: judgefett on 16 October, 2012, 03:59:00 PM
Quote from: Mabs on 14 October, 2012, 06:58:20 PM
Just read Bigfoot #1 over at ComicXology, I thought it was superb. The artwork by Richard Corben is brilliant. Ever since I saw his artwork for The Crooked Man (Hellboy Vol 10); I fell in love with his really spooky and atmospheric style. (I urge comic lover's to read Crooked Man; it's one of the most scariest and creepiest comic i've read!). I tried looking over at Amazon if they. Had Bigfoot TPB, but they were going for £50 to £60 a pop! That is way out of my budget. I think it's out of print hence the insane valuation.  :-\

Bigfoot is superb- track down the collected trade, its lovely and would make a great horror movie (its co-written by Steve Niles and Rob Zombie).
If you like Corben and horror Id suggest you track down the recent 'Creepy- Richard Corben' collection. Superb hardcover collection with essays and covers too.

Thanks for the tip mate!  I just love Corben's artwork, and the Bigfoot story was absolutely brilliant! Such a shame I can't get hold of the TPB :(

But i'll definitely have a look into the title you mentioned!

Cheers!

If you read German, BIGFOOT is available in hardback from Amazon for less than twelve quid, including postage. http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/3936480982/sr=8-2/qid=1350410436/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&qid=1350410436&seller=&sr=8-2

But you have to read German, because it's the German language edition. Which is an arse.

SBT

That is an arse! :D

Thanks for the link anyhow, SBT - I'll keep trying. And if I cannot find any copies then I'll maybe consider the German edition :D, But I have to say that Bigfoot is worth it in any language just for Richard Corbens awesome artwork alone!

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Spicy Biscuit

Quote from: Mabs on 16 October, 2012, 06:07:22 PM
I've got Book 4 and 5 to go, unfortunately Amazon and The Book Depository are out of stock for Book 4; so i'll most probably have to skip to Book 5 which is a bummer.

I like to support my LCS any chance I get but most of the HC editions I find in the bigger stores have been in some pretty appalling states.  :-\

I'm sure my LCS can always order in fresh ones if I asked.

Davek

My dad cleared out his loft and found a load of comics that are approx 20+ years old. Included were issues 1-17 of The Complete Judge Dredd so enjoying reading Judge Dredd from scratch (love the corny Dredd speech at the end of the first few progs). Was vaguely thinking of buying Case Files but no need for now!

Am also reading Red Badge of Courage, poetic description of a soldier's experience in the American Civil War.

The Bissler

Just read Harry 20 on the High Rock.  It was actually quite enjoyable but the A-Team-esque plotline of [spoiler]Harry building a landing craft in the middle of a high-security prison [/spoiler] really annoyed me!  I'm always up for a bit of suspension of disbelief but there are limits!  I'm surprised the editorial team at 2000AD let such a daft idea pass.  It would have been far better to have had Harry involved in some more credible escape plots, or even just put a bit more focus on how day-to-day life would have been in the High Rock.
So in conclusion, enjoyable nonsense with some lovely Alan Davis artwork!

Also, I noticed a few people discussing Y The Last Man.  Please read these books in order if you can!  I feel you will really miss out if you don't.  It's a great story with a terrific ending.  I will say no more than that!

Mabs

Quote from: Spicy Biscuit on 16 October, 2012, 09:04:09 PM
Quote from: Mabs on 16 October, 2012, 06:07:22 PM
I've got Book 4 and 5 to go, unfortunately Amazon and The Book Depository are out of stock for Book 4; so i'll most probably have to skip to Book 5 which is a bummer.

I like to support my LCS any chance I get but most of the HC editions I find in the bigger stores have been in some pretty appalling states.  :-\

I'm sure my LCS can always order in fresh ones if I asked.

Thats great to hear mate, and I know what you mean about the HC's being in appaling condition, trust me! I've actually been quite put off by the state of some of the books. But regarding your LCS, they should order more in if you request it.

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: The Bissler on 17 October, 2012, 06:13:09 AM
Just read Harry 20 on the High Rock.  It was actually quite enjoyable but the A-Team-esque plotline of [spoiler]Harry building a landing craft in the middle of a high-security prison [/spoiler] really annoyed me!  I'm always up for a bit of suspension of disbelief but there are limits!  I'm surprised the editorial team at 2000AD let such a daft idea pass.

Ahem... Do you not think it was maybe based on this famous true story? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colditz_glider
@jamesfeistdraws

Mabs

I'm reading Judge Dredd restricted case files 02 right now, there's some really nice stuff in there - I loved the superb black and white story 'Beyond the wall' by T.B Grover and Steve Dillon. A really poignant tale - the two page colour spread at the end was beautiful to say the least.

Also, I finished The Meg and the Prog earlier - really drokkin' enjoyable stuff and i'll post my views on it soon.

My Twitter @nexuswookie

mogzilla

got my judge dredd "cry of the werewolf" trade today an excellent read with the classic tail and the 'sequel' with a couple of other strips with art from messers gallagher and irving

and all for £7 from amazon

Richmond Clements

QuoteI'll have to pick up the Endymion books as well - anyone read those?

Yup. Brilliant stuff. They plod a bit in the middle, but everything is worth it for the revelation about [spoiler]The Shrike[/spoiler].
(and I KNOW you want to look at that spoiler!)

SmallBlueThing

Is that american 'cry of the werewolf' still black and white, or have they coloured it?

I'd very much like a colour edition, if only so it would finally settle all those arguments as to 'what to give newbies to get them into dredd'.

SBT

Dark Jimbo

And it'd be a nice companion volume to Dredd vs Aliens.
@jamesfeistdraws

Colin YNWA

Dan Abnett's 'Doctor Who - The silent stars go by.'

I've always been intrigued by the idea of Dan Abnett's prose work given his breezy use of language in comics but I'm not that interested in the Warhammer 30000 world (or whatever it is) so when I saw he did a Doctor Who book I thought that was more all my street and I have to say it was great fun. Really enjoyed it. He has a real eye for getting the characters but the plot felt more like classic Who. So all in all a nice fun, exciting light read which I'd heartily recommend if your in the mood for that kinda thing.

Loved it.

The Bissler

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 17 October, 2012, 07:51:29 PM
Quote from: The Bissler on 17 October, 2012, 06:13:09 AM
Just read Harry 20 on the High Rock.  It was actually quite enjoyable but the A-Team-esque plotline of [spoiler]Harry building a landing craft in the middle of a high-security prison [/spoiler] really annoyed me!  I'm always up for a bit of suspension of disbelief but there are limits!  I'm surprised the editorial team at 2000AD let such a daft idea pass.

Ahem... Do you not think it was maybe based on this famous true story? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colditz_glider

I wasn't aware of that historical reference.  I take your point Dark Jimbo but stand by what I said about it being absurd.  Even if I accept that they may have been able to hide such a thing in plain view, [spoiler] NASA's space programme has tragically taught us that building craft that can withstand re-entry to earth's atmosphere is no easy feat even with the greatest scientific minds of the day working on it.  The idea that a couple of cons could knock together something like that beggars belief.   [/spoiler] 

Anyway, it's just my opinion, if other people enjoyed that aspect of the story then more power to them.  It just wasn't for me!