Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GordyM

Ian M Banks' new Culture novel 'The Hydrogen Sonata'.

About half way through it. The story itself is slight (so far, anyway) but learning the Culture's origins and what happens when a species Sublimes is making for an engrossing read.
Check out my new comic Supermom: Expecting Trouble and see how a pregnant superhero tries to deal with the fact that the baby's father is her archnemesis. Free preview pack including 12 pages of art: http://www.mediafire.com/file/57986rnlgk0itfz/Supermom_Preview_Pack.pdf/file

Mikey

Quote from: GordyM on 09 November, 2012, 10:57:20 AM

Fuckballs! I forgot that was out!

M.
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: Mikey on 09 November, 2012, 02:23:51 PM
Quote from: GordyM on 09 November, 2012, 10:57:20 AM

Fuckballs! I forgot that was out!

M.

Nuts, hardback - I'll wait for the paperback to come out.

Mabs

Just had the City of Dust TPB along with Case Files 04 delivered today! Really looking forward to reading them both! : )
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Buttonman

Just finished 'The Lost Symbol' by Dan Brown. I enjoyed his previous books and defended them against those who looked down on them as being for thick people. This one was however shee-ite and was essentially a love letter to the masons with the albino character from 'The da Vinci Code' resurrected with a new name. Even the puzzles were pish. A must not read.

Now onto 'The Cain Mutiny' by Herman Wouk, and it is far more enjoyable.

Professor Bear

Do people really slag Dan Brown for being an airport novelist?  On a comic book forum?  Seems a bit like people on footy forum slagging Warhammer fans for having a silly hobby.

Spikes

"Football's not a matter of life and death its much more important than that"
Bill Shankly 1913 - 1981.

willthemightyW

Parker: The Hunter just arrived. It's a very sexy book.
I love Darwyn Cooke, Point Blank, and Payback, however I've never read the original novel, first I'm going to read this!
They say you need to spend money to make money, well I've never made any money so by that logic I've never spent any.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Professah Byah on 10 November, 2012, 12:25:27 PM
Do people really slag Dan Brown for being an airport novelist?  On a comic book forum?  Seems a bit like people on footy forum slagging Warhammer fans for having a silly hobby.
What so are you really suggesting its not possible for comics, an entire medium, or dare I say art form, to produce a work of greater critical or literary value than an airport novel?. Really? Hope I'm wrong but if so the real surprise is that you'd do that on a comic forum!

Professor Bear

I've started threads calling each and every one of you a gaylord and this is what surprises you?

Daveycandlish

BPRD Plague of Frogs 4. Nice chunky hardback. Should keep me entertained for the evening
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

TordelBack

Just finished A Dance with Dragons.  I thought it was a terrific read as these things go, with some wonderful sequences and images, and my only real criticism is George Martin why you not write more faster.  What the hell is going to happen next?

ASoIaF has now been slotted firmly into the the coveted No. 3 position of my Fantasy Novel Series League Table, just behind Earthsea.  Somehow the world-building in this one really took off, merging the more high-fantasy elements with the faux-medieval background much more convincingly than previously.  The Slavers' Bay/Old Valirya/Free Cities milieu was pretty compelling.

SmallBlueThing

The Nancy Collins run on Swamp Thing, and selected recent Hellblazers.

After my reading of the Mark Millar Swampies, which unexpectedly i enjoyed easily as much as the better-remembered Anal Minnow issues, i thought i'd go back a bit and plunge into the Nancies. Not an expression i ever thought i'd use, but one now destined to become my next facebook status.

Yes, im circling the Doug Wheeler issues, like a man swimming around a murky turd glimpsed on the bottom. The Collins run (vol 2, 110-138) is what originally killed the series stone dead for me, back in the day. This time, however, im finding ive a growing fondness. It's the last hurrah of the Moore-created soapy swampy family, soon to be brutally torn apart and cast to the winds. Collins's dialogue is worse than i remember, but there's a germ of genius there, as the cliches become ever-so-slowly twisted.

As for the Hellblazers, id already decided to add the title to my monthly purchases before the news of its cancellation broke, so as a (cont)

SmallBlueThing

(cont) lapsed-but-returned regular reader im allowed to assume the moral highground above those who this week have been moaning, but who havent bought it in years. Phew. I havent really formean opinion on the milligan issues- i think the art is distracting me. However, as milligan is the writer of one sixth of the entire run, im giving it my full attention. As to its death: fuck you dan didio, you're a moron.

SBT

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Professah Byah on 10 November, 2012, 02:58:52 PM
I've started threads calling each and every one of you a gaylord and this is what surprises you?

Well I'm never quite sure with some of the silly things you say if your joking or not. Often its so ridiculous I assume so, or times I wonder but allow things to wash over me, or times, like now I'm genuinely curious. Simply my ignorance in getting where your coming from. Attempt at parody or not?

As for a thread calling us all gaylords well I can't say I'd noticed, but since most folk here went to school at a certain time I'm quite sure we've all been called gaylords enough time for it not to matter. Jimmy reckonnnn