Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richmond Clements

Quote from: Link Prime on 13 November, 2012, 11:32:31 PM
Quote from: Richmond Clements on 13 November, 2012, 02:30:47 PM
Finished reading The Underwater Welder at lunchtime.
It really is quite brilliant. Very emotional, very very moving and it looks astounding.

Some well documented and deserved love for this on the forum.
Graphic novel of 2012?
I think so, yes.

Mabs

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 14 November, 2012, 07:51:13 AM
It really is quite brilliant. Very emotional, very very moving and it looks astounding.

Graphic novel of 2012?
I think so, yes.

Definitely! As a stand alone story. A deeply moving, beautifully realised masterpiece.
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Robert Frazer

I've tried to get into Image Comics' Secret. The first two issues were shaping up quite nicely into a shadowy corporate-espionage thriller entwined with a bitter family saga... only the mystery is now completely opaque because I can't find the later issues anywhere. My local Travelling Man has literally ten copies of Issue 2... nothing else!
Latest Video - The ESSENTIAL Judge Dredd

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Mabs on 14 November, 2012, 09:20:00 AM

Graphic novel of 2012?
I think so, yes.

Definitely! As a stand alone story. A deeply moving, beautifully realised masterpiece.

As it goes Amazon almost agree with you putting it at 6 in their list of the year.

http://comicsbeat.com/amazon-annouces-their-best-graphic-novelsof-the-year/

Leigh S

Lest Earth Be conquered by Frank (Hounds of Tindalos) Belknap Long...

So bad it goes beyond being good into just being plain plain bad.  Still, some charity somewhere has my quid!

Mabs

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 14 November, 2012, 03:45:19 PM
Quote from: Mabs on 14 November, 2012, 09:20:00 AM

Graphic novel of 2012?
I think so, yes.

As it goes Amazon almost agree with you putting it at 6 in their list of the year.

http://comicsbeat.com/amazon-annouces-their-best-graphic-novelsof-the-year/

Wow! Great to see Saga and Prophet in the list. As continuing arcs nothing can beat those two. As for Building Stories which takes first place - i've yet to read it. Definitely one for the near future.

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Dandontdare

It is rather good isn't it? have you read any of his Sweet Tooth comics/trades

Mabs

I've just finished re-reading Origins: just spotted a blunder on the cover- they've misspelt Carlos Ezquerra's name.  :(

My Twitter @nexuswookie

willthemightyW

About to start reading Ubik by Philip K. Dick, I've heard nothing but good things. Any thoughts?
They say you need to spend money to make money, well I've never made any money so by that logic I've never spent any.

Davek

Quote from: Robert Frazer on 14 November, 2012, 12:45:41 PM
I've tried to get into Image Comics' Secret. The first two issues were shaping up quite nicely into a shadowy corporate-espionage thriller entwined with a bitter family saga... only the mystery is now completely opaque because I can't find the later issues anywhere. My local Travelling Man has literally ten copies of Issue 2... nothing else!

Hickman mentioned Secret in the back of the latest Manhattan Projects.  I dont have it to hand atm - if memory serves me he basically apologized for the delay and confirmed that there arent plans for regular issues right now - but that there will be another issue this year.

Charlie boy

I bought William Peter Blatty's The Exorcist today because I've never read it before. I picked up the 40th Anniversary Edition because it was £1 less than the copy next to it but read the author intro on getting home and couldn't help but slap my forehead because- although Blatty says this is how he had wished the book had been on its original printing- he says there is an extra scene (he might even say a full chapter) and a character who never made the original printing. I can't help but think maybe I should rush out and buy the 'original' text before starting this one.

Colin YNWA

Just finished Jew Gangster by Joe Kubert. Its not a particularly new or different story following a similar, well worn path of so many 'gangster rights of passage' stories (or parts of stories), but by Jiminy its quite brilliant. Has there ever been an artist quite as expressive and powerful as the late great Joe Kubert? Its realised so absolutely perfectly. The ending is quite brilliant as well.

Can't recommend this enough.

willthemightyW

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 15 November, 2012, 08:46:09 AM
Just finished Jew Gangster by Joe Kubert. Its not a particularly new or different story following a similar, well worn path of so many 'gangster rights of passage' stories (or parts of stories), but by Jiminy its quite brilliant. Has there ever been an artist quite as expressive and powerful as the late great Joe Kubert? Its realised so absolutely perfectly. The ending is quite brilliant as well.

Can't recommend this enough.

Really been wanting to read that! Glad to hear it's good!
They say you need to spend money to make money, well I've never made any money so by that logic I've never spent any.

Spikes

3001: the final odyssey is getting a re-read, along with the rest of the series.
I suppose the clues in the title, but i often wonder if Mr Clarke worked on idea's to continue the series.

Ancient Otter

Quote from: willthemightyW on 14 November, 2012, 06:54:26 PM
About to start reading Ubik by Philip K. Dick, I've heard nothing but good things. Any thoughts?

Been well over a decade since I read it, but I remember enjoying it. Definitely one of his better ones, I feel.