Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richmond Clements

Quote from: Judge Jack on 15 November, 2012, 08:02:21 PM
3001: the final odyssey is getting a re-read, along with the rest of the series.
I suppose the clues in the title, but i often wonder if Mr Clarke worked on idea's to continue the series.

I was very pleasantly surprised by this one. Didn't expect to like is, as Clarke's output in his declining years wasn't his best.
I think he said that he only wrote this one because they offered him so much money he couldn't say no!

SmallBlueThing

I cant remember exactly what i thought of 3001, as i read- or should i say 'devoured'-  all four in rapid succession a couple of years ago, and as a result they all merge into one huge book. But, given the chance to rescue ten novels in the frantic last seconds before i escape planetary armaggeddon using my personal space-transporter (and yes, bbc radio 4 you can have that set-up as the idea behind a 'cult' version of desert island discs) they'd be first on my list, along with Rendezvous With Rama.

SBT

von Boom

After finishing A Thunder Rising by David Weber (I've spent the last 18 months catching up on this series), I've started Mardock Scramble by Tow Ubukata. I've only finished the first chapter, but I like what I've read so far.

Davek

My birthday presents arrived 30 mins ago and I am at home alone this afternoon so will be readings one of these:
Orc Stain Vol 1
The Shadow: Blood and Judgement

(it will probably be the latter as at first glance, it looks very good)

Spikes

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 15 November, 2012, 09:45:23 PM
I cant remember exactly what i thought of 3001, as i read- or should i say 'devoured'-  all four in rapid succession a couple of years ago, and as a result they all merge into one huge book.

For a set of books that differ, continuity wise - and quite fundamentally in places to each other, thats not a bad suming up. And works surprising well.
Out of them all, 2001 is the one i least return to, as maybe the film casts a long shadow over that, but the rest - especially 2061 and 3001 are regularly re-read.

Also a very good companion book to the series is The Lost Worlds of 2001.

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 15 November, 2012, 09:22:48 PM
Quote from: Judge Jack on 15 November, 2012, 08:02:21 PM
3001: the final odyssey is getting a re-read, along with the rest of the series.
I suppose the clues in the title, but i often wonder if Mr Clarke worked on idea's to continue the series.

I was very pleasantly surprised by this one. Didn't expect to like is, as Clarke's output in his declining years wasn't his best.
I think he said that he only wrote this one because they offered him so much money he couldn't say no!

I know some people were frustrated by [spoiler]chapter after chapter detailing a fairly mundane life in the next millenium, but they made those little nuggets he dropped into the mix shine brighter, which was probably his point - the chilling Nova Scorpio references, for example really grabbed me, and the fact that the series ended on the ultimate cliff hanger left me wondering, from the release of 3001 until his death, was other idea's/storylines jotted down, even in rough form. If such a notebook did exist, it may be very intriging to read it [/spoiler] 

Professor Bear

Ann Brashares' My Name Is Memory, which is fun romantic fiction with a sci-fantasy twist, as the protagonist is constantly reincarnating in an attempt to both keep ahead of an immortal pursuer, and to  jog the memory of his soul-mate.  I'm sure I've seen this premise somewhere else, but it's still a pretty breezy read with a couple of decent twists and likable characters if you don't mind chick-lit - I only read it because I fought it was sci-fi, honest!

Tjm86

Volume 9 of Charley's War in a very short space of time.  The wait of a whole year for an evening's delectation almost doesn't seem fair.  Now returning to volume 1 to reread the whole lot in one go.  I get impression (form a website interview recently read) that Mr Mills is content to let the series end with the first world war which would be a shame as I would love to see the Russian Front stuff again.  More than happy to skip over the WW2 stuff.  If push comes to shove may have to track down the original issues although a little leery of that since it may morph into a full blown Battle Collection which is likely to prove expensive! (but possibly worth it ..... )

Spikes

Quote from: Tjm86 on 17 November, 2012, 12:11:26 PM
If push comes to shove may have to track down the original issues although a little leery of that since it may morph into a full blown Battle Collection which is likely to prove expensive! (but possibly worth it ..... )

Thats how it starts, isnt it. Just a few particular issues needed, but before you know it..   ;)

Grey M@a

Just finished reading Declare by Tom Powers, great book, sci-fi, cold war, spy, supernatural all wrapped in one, got given it in July by a friend for my birthday and finally got around to reading it over the last week, not been able to put it down. Highly recommended.

Now moved on to the next book in the pile (really need to get through these books, buying ore than I am reading atm and the pile is growing out of control)

Kraken by China Mieville, good book so far but only got as far as chapter 35.

Mardroid

Quote from: Professah Byah on 16 November, 2012, 10:09:00 PM
Ann Brashares' My Name Is Memory, which is fun romantic fiction with a sci-fantasy twist, as the protagonist is constantly reincarnating in an attempt to both keep ahead of an immortal pursuer, and to  jog the memory of his soul-mate.  I'm sure I've seen this premise somewhere else, ...

It reminds me of Orion, by Ben Bova. Although I've never read My Name is memory, so can't say for sure, but the premise seems similar. And there was a kind of immortal pursuer too. I remember enjoying it a lot. It was the first of a series of Orion novels apparently, although I have only read the first.

Mabs

I'm just halfway through reading The Pit. Its a really enjoyable story, intriguing with a lot of strands coming together nicely. Its like Dredd via The Wire! Once again some nice artwork by Ezquerra, Macneil and others, although i'm not too keen on the digital backgrounds. Its brilliant how Wagner wrote the various characters, each with his/ her own problems. So far loving this.
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

O Lucky Stevie!

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 15 November, 2012, 09:45:23 PM
  But, given the chance to rescue ten novels in the frantic last seconds before i escape planetary armaggeddon using my personal space-transporter (and yes, bbc radio 4 you can have that set-up as the idea behind a 'cult' version of desert island discs) 

Quite apropos to Clarke, the BBC beat you to this 60 years ago.

"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

Mardroid

The Bodysnatchers.

I know the basic story having seen all three films, but it's a good read just the same.

The introduction was a bit annoying though. (Yes I'm one of those people who reads that stuff.) Why do these people feel the need to give away major plot points in their essays?* Okay, so I have an idea of how things go, from the films, but I don't know how alike they are. I've already spotted some differences.

Still intriguing so far!

*It tends to for books that have been around for a while. (In this case the book was came out in 1955, although the Author did a revised version in the 70s. This is the original.) It's as if the introduction writer (a different person) assumes you've read the story already and just picked this version for a reread.

Zarjazzer

Pariah -by that scamp like scribe  Dan Abnett, okay but you should really have read some of the earlier novels like Eisenhorn or the Ravenor series or else you might be a tad lost as to who spoiler alert-[spoiler]Cherubael [/spoiler]is and why it is significant. A bit of a long winded -I meant character building excercise, frankly it seemed a bit stretched as to who was plotting gainst whom I began not to care which is unusual for me and a WH40k book.

of course Warhammer 40k features ghastly, other universe entities trying to take over ours so for a change I've started Orphan Stars a pulpy sci fi cbook about ahem ghastly, other universe entities trying to take over ours. Um- :-[
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

Colin YNWA

Just finished Richardo Delgardo's (what a name!) Age of Reptiles Omnibus. All I can say is DINOTASTIC!!!!

Well actually I can say a but more, some of the finish storytelling around. Its only fault is being wordless its as quick a read as Jason, though you can get lost in the art for hours... oh sod it...

DINOTASTIC!!!!!