Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Just finished the first Nexus Omnibus from Dark Horse (reprints 1-3 of the Capital series and 1 -11 of the First) and my oh my it wonderful.

This is one of the 80s indie Boom titles that I never really got around to reading back in the day so really pleased that Dark Horse are releasing these Omnibus editions.

Mind over the last few years that is very true of so many title from this period. Have to say it was such an incredibly rich time for comics, not really matched before of after, well until today that is when Image, Dark Horse and others seem to be producing material of the quality in an equal depth.

Its great that titles like Nexus, Concrete, Grendal, Grimjack, Beanworld etc etc are all becoming pretty readily available as there is such wonderful comics to be discovered.

Link Prime

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 05 April, 2013, 09:17:26 AM
Its great that titles like Nexus, Concrete, Grendal, Grimjack, Beanworld etc etc are all becoming pretty readily available as there is such wonderful comics to be discovered.

I have to get that Grendel omnibus.

Colin YNWA

There's actually three now (or two and a third not too far off can't quite remember).

Basilisk

The Dark Horse omnibuses are one of the best inventions i've ever known. I have bought more or less 14 Star Wars omnibuses(at the same time!), plus the "Deluxe" Crimson Empire "omnibus". A lot of stuff for relatively little money.

It's time, so i started the "turboboost" on Dredd's CCF2, man, i like the Cursed Earth epic a lot. Lucky for me that i was able to read the two "amputated" Copyrightcrap episodes left out of the tome. There are nothing out of this world and you won't die if you don't read them, but shows the madness and weirdness of the Cursed Earth quite a lot.

And yesterday i received Dredd/Batman HC, the Marshal Law Origins illustrated novel, and the Day of Chaos FF trade. Nice stuff.
Ah, Henry Peter Gyrich -- I should'a guessed. Tell me -- do you National Security Council Guys get a cheaper rate buyin' those sunglasses in bulk?

Dredd Head

Quote from: Basilisk on 05 April, 2013, 06:02:47 PM
The Dark Horse omnibuses are one of the best inventions i've ever known. I have bought more or less 14 Star Wars omnibuses(at the same time!), plus the "Deluxe" Crimson Empire "omnibus". A lot of stuff for relatively little money.

It's time, so i started the "turboboost" on Dredd's CCF2, man, i like the Cursed Earth epic a lot. Lucky for me that i was able to read the two "amputated" Copyrightcrap episodes left out of the tome. There are nothing out of this world and you won't die if you don't read them, but shows the madness and weirdness of the Cursed Earth quite a lot.

And yesterday i received Dredd/Batman HC, the Marshal Law Origins illustrated novel, and the Day of Chaos FF trade. Nice stuff.

I've just ordered case files 2 and 3, Also half way through Day Of Chaos which is awesome

Mabs

I've just started Defoe: 1666, which i received earlier today. Still waiting for my Zombo TPB though. It's kinda odd because when i checked up on my Book Depository account it showed that Zombo was dispatched maybe half an hour after Defoe; why the hell couldn't they just wait a little and lump it into one package?  very inconvenient.  :-\

Anyhow, i'm sure it'll turn up tomorrow. Just flicking through the Nikolai Dante trade i received from the mighy and generous Tharg today, i must say i'm really impressed by the different line up of artists on show; Simon Fraser, Chris Weston and Henry Flint; the latter of whose artwork is very different in style to the one we see today. Very intriguing stuff, can't wait to get stuck into that later!  :)
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Basilisk

The Boodepositorie's way of dispatch is one item per parcel. Imagine this: on 2011 i ordered 25 items, military books, from Osprey, History and collections, gunship planes, helicopters, special forces... some of them were quite big... the postman arrived some days after, with two Postal service boxes, absolutelly filled with parcels, almost all the 25 things and prior orders... i received stuff from the 25 even days or a week after that. It's their way.

As of now, in the last orders i've maid, they arrive to me in exactly 8 working days after its shipment date. Like a clock. Quite a feat since i live in another country. I received BD stuff ranging from only two days os waiting(DMZ 8), to 23 days(The Nelson to Vanguard Seaforth book and one New Vanguard book about American Nimitz Carriers)... but now like i said: 8 days, including weekends.

Tell us about Dafoe once you finish it. I'm quite interested in adquiring both 1666 and Queen of Zombies. :)
Ah, Henry Peter Gyrich -- I should'a guessed. Tell me -- do you National Security Council Guys get a cheaper rate buyin' those sunglasses in bulk?

PreacherCain

It's because Book Depository (now owned by Amazon) ship from multiple countries and locations. I think I did receive two or three items in one package once but it's a rare occurrence!

Mabs

Quote from: Basilisk on 05 April, 2013, 11:43:34 PM

Tell us about Dafoe once you finish it. I'm quite interested in adquiring both 1666 and Queen of Zombies. :)

I will do! Leigh Gallagher (the artist) recommended me the second trade (Queen of Zombies) on his blog, he considers it his best work/trade. Looking forward to reading that after i finish the first one! He (Gallagher) seems like a top bloke by the way!

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Ancient Otter

Quote from: Davek on 02 April, 2013, 05:58:59 PM
Just finished re-reading Ragemoor after getting it last Xmas. I would reccomend - great art style with a gothic Lovecraftian vibe. Can anyone recommend anything similar?

How much Richard Corben have you read already?

Mabs

Quote from: PreacherCain on 06 April, 2013, 12:25:20 AM
It's because Book Depository (now owned by Amazon) ship from multiple countries and locations. I think I did receive two or three items in one package once but it's a rare occurrence!

Same here, mate! But it's every once in a while if you're lucky!

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Basilisk

Good, then!. Dafoe will be on my purchase list. ;)

I've never received more than one item per parcel from the BD. Ever. Even now that's Amazon property. It's their way to simplify stuff, i supose. :-\

Sometimes i've received stuff from them, but apart of the Bd sticker, i saw an Spanish bookstore sticker(Agapea urgent books). Sometimes they arrive from the UK, and sometimes they're sent by its "intermediaries", seems to be.

sheldipez

Batman: War On Crime, a book so big it had to be sent in a box, I knew it was oversized but was at least expecting it to fit on a shelf!

Mabs

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Sideshow Bob

Just going to make a start on Y-The Last Man.......Bought the entire set of 10 graphic novels for £65 on ebay.....That should keep me going for a week or so.....Is it any good ??
" This is absolutely NO PLACE for a lover of Food, Fine Wine and the Librettos of RODGERS and HAMMERSTEIN "......Devlin Waugh.

My Comic Art Fans Gallery :  http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=91890