Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mabs

Quote from: Sideshow Bob on 06 April, 2013, 11:43:54 AM
Just going to make a start on Y-The Last Man.......Bought the entire set of 10 graphic novels for £65 on ebay.....That should keep me going for a week or so.....Is it any good ??

Wow. Is it any good? Hell yeah! I also have the entire collection but in hardback, and the good thing about getting it all together is you won't have to wait for the next volume, just get stuck in straight away - the story is so addictive and entertaining that that can only be a good thing! Good luck with your reading!
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Sideshow Bob

Cheers for that Mabs....
Have also ordered Saga Volume 1 ( heard some good things about it on here )...and Fiona Staples is going to Thoughtbubble this year, so a chance to get a sketch and get bbok signed maybe ..
Along with that, I've ordered Volume 1 of Fatale by Sean Phillips and Ed Brubaker...
Looking forward to them both.
" This is absolutely NO PLACE for a lover of Food, Fine Wine and the Librettos of RODGERS and HAMMERSTEIN "......Devlin Waugh.

My Comic Art Fans Gallery :  http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=91890

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: Mabs on 06 April, 2013, 11:54:32 AM
Quote from: Sideshow Bob on 06 April, 2013, 11:43:54 AM
Just going to make a start on Y-The Last Man.......Bought the entire set of 10 graphic novels for £65 on ebay.....That should keep me going for a week or so.....Is it any good ??

Wow. Is it any good? Hell yeah! I also have the entire collection but in hardback, and the good thing about getting it all together is you won't have to wait for the next volume, just get stuck in straight away - the story is so addictive and entertaining that that can only be a good thing! Good luck with your reading!

I got the entire series from Cardiff Libraries and found it thoroughly entertaining! 

At £6.50 a volume I think you've got a bargain there.

I saw an excellent cosplayer in LSCC - he had a hooded top with the hood drawn tight around a gas mask, and a week black & white toy monkey on his shoulder. Instantly recognisable, and also probably the most original and unexpected outfit I saw the whole week!

Sideshow Bob

I love the cosplay people that come to the Comic Cons....Some really great outfits and some great details in what is usually, hand made outfits......
A bit of a break of the thread here, but thought I'd post some pics of the costumes that I saw last year at Thoughtbubble....
Fabulous Judges, A great Batman, an amazing Red Skull and Cross Bones, and an astonishingly lovely Black Cat....And numerous Harley Quinns...And a hand made Borg costume that had to be seen to be believed !!....Oh, and Master Chief from Halo and Rorcshach from Watchmen...All great stuff...
" This is absolutely NO PLACE for a lover of Food, Fine Wine and the Librettos of RODGERS and HAMMERSTEIN "......Devlin Waugh.

My Comic Art Fans Gallery :  http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=91890

Aonghus

I downloaded Sweet Justice, a collection of stories from the old tooth annuals, the other day. Cracking stuff! Only €2.60 or so as well: damn I love ebooks sometimes :)

Dredd Head

Just finished CROSSED written by garth ennis. Was a great story excellent art really enjoyed this

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Dredd Head on 07 April, 2013, 06:13:01 PM
Just finished CROSSED written by garth ennis. Was a great story excellent art really enjoyed this
I must be the only person in the world to think it's utterly loathsome. But each to there own. :lol:

Davek

Quote from: Ancient Otter on 06 April, 2013, 01:04:07 AM
Quote from: Davek on 02 April, 2013, 05:58:59 PM
Just finished re-reading Ragemoor after getting it last Xmas. I would reccomend - great art style with a gothic Lovecraftian vibe. Can anyone recommend anything similar?

How much Richard Corben have you read already?

Only this - but I have 'Creepy Presents' on my wish list after reading Ragemoor.  Its not just the art I liked though - it was the gothic setting, haunted castle, faithful servant, etc.

Professor Bear

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 07 April, 2013, 08:07:10 PM
I must be the only person in the world to think it's utterly loathsome.

You are not - I've even seen dyed-in-the-wool Ennis fans describe it as juvenile.
Personally, I thought it most reminded me of looking in the sketchbook of the kid in school who was a bit too into his heavy metal.

Been getting stuck into the Kieron Gillen run of Journey Into Mystery recently, and it's a top read.  If I had to describe it, I'd say it reads like Warren Ellis' early superhero work-for-hire would have read if he'd got over himself.

mogzilla

just read spawn:endgame after a long time away I've been revisiting ol'spawny much to the mrs' dismay (god bless amazon) and I am quite liking this new jim downing arc so far and i'm just 3 books away from collecting the old trades

Dredd Head

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 07 April, 2013, 08:07:10 PM
I must be the only person in the world to think it's utterly loathsome. But each to there own. :lol:

I can see why people wouldn't like it

Mabs

Yay! Had my copy of Zombo delivered - can't wait to get stuck in!

But one comic i have been getting stuck into last night, was Nikolai Dante! I'm just 2/3 of the way through but might i say it has been an absolute blast! Wow. Now i know why the character is so popular amongst readers! The artwork is beautifully rendered by the talented artists on board such as Fraser, Weston and Flint. And the story had me howling with laughter! My favourite up till now has to be 'The Gentlemen Thief' and 'The Full Dante'  :lol:

Thank you Tharg!
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Dandontdare

Quote from: Mabs on 08 April, 2013, 02:33:52 PM
The artwork is beautifully rendered by the talented artists on board such as Fraser, Weston and Flint.

I keep forgetting that Weston & Flint were involved int he early days (as were Charlie Adlard and Andy Clarke) - I've just got so used to thinking of Dante as a Fraser/Burns duopoly

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Dandontdare on 08 April, 2013, 03:05:51 PM
Quote from: Mabs on 08 April, 2013, 02:33:52 PM
The artwork is beautifully rendered by the talented artists on board such as Fraser, Weston and Flint.

I keep forgetting that Weston & Flint were involved int he early days (as were Charlie Adlard and Andy Clarke) - I've just got so used to thinking of Dante as a Fraser/Burns duopoly
Didn't Yeowell get involved on a few occasions also?

Basilisk

Talking about Nick Dante... There's any way to get the entire collection on trades?. I'm not shure if every trade available for purchase contains the real deal, or there are some out of stock, etc.

And i want to take a look at Elephantmen... is a compelling story?.
Ah, Henry Peter Gyrich -- I should'a guessed. Tell me -- do you National Security Council Guys get a cheaper rate buyin' those sunglasses in bulk?