Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheldipez

Quote from: judgefloyd on 16 April, 2013, 12:07:04 PM
I am reading The Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy, Gentleman, very slowly, on my new phone.  So far it's terrific - very chaotically written, very modern before its time, quite witty.  I got a free version off gutenberg.org and had to wade through a really long introduction, full of Latin tags, extinct words (eg 'morigerant')  and very roundabout references to some sort of scandal involving the author. 
  Did anyone see the Steve Coogan movie?

Never even heard of this original book but I watched the Coogan's A Cock and Bull Story  on telly a while back and thought it was very funny but I can't offer any insightful comparisons between the source material.

judgefloyd

maybe that's the one.  The book is widely thought of as un-filmable and apparently the film is very confusing - lot of fourth wall breaking and self-reference.  Anyway, the book is good value so far.

Dark Jimbo

Tristram... has been on my 'must read one day' list for years. Oddly, despite not having read it, I must have read quite a lot about it - much like Don Quixote - as I seem to know most of the plot/characters/jokes. Enough to find the film very clever indeed.

In the same way that the main joke of the book, which purports to be the story of Tristram Shandy, is so full of digressions and distractions that it ends up not really being about him at all - we learn far more about the likes of Walter and Uncle Toby than we ever do of Tristram; the film - supposedly a film version of Tristram Shandy, quickly becoming a film about the filming of Tristram Shandy - ends up hardly even being that as it indulges in ever more digressions and sub-plots. And if I remember rightly their adaptation is a flop and they don't even get to finish it before the studio pulls the plug.  :lol:

So not really a film about Tristram Shandy, but then that's very much the point. And it gave us the BBC series The Trip a few years later by way of a semi-sequel.
@jamesfeistdraws

ThryllSeekyr

I have just finished reading Mostly Harmless by Douglas Adams. I may one day reread the first four books to make more sense out of it.

I am in the process of reading The Walking Dead, I've just finished the second graphic novel and I can't get over how it differs from the television series.

I am still about to start Slaine the Horned God.

Dandontdare

Quote from: ThryllSeekyr on 16 April, 2013, 01:55:18 PM
I am still about to start Slaine the Horned God.

I assume you mean re-start for the umpteenth time!  :lol:

Hawkmumbler

Currently reading:

Skulduggery Pleasant: Kingdom of the Wicked
Doctor Who: Nemesis of the Daleks*
Tokyo Babylon Volume 1**

*Abslom Daak! Why no spin-off???!!!

*Got really fond of CLAMP recently, thought there multiverse isn't worth thinking about. Much to convoluted.

Mabs

My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 18 April, 2013, 12:33:22 PM

I'd completely missed that this was out. Cool, another thing for my want list!

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 18 April, 2013, 03:33:32 PM
Quote from: Hawkmonger on 18 April, 2013, 12:33:22 PM

I'd completely missed that this was out. Cool, another thing for my want list!
As far as I can tell it contains all the 7th Doctor material, my favourite era for the marvel run. Haven't checked to see if the oft left out "Party Animals" is present, nor the Daak shorts stories where he assembles the Star Tigers. I already had everything from "A Cold Day in Hell" through to "Echoes of Morgor!" via the IDW coloured reprint but at £10 this is very hard to say no to.

Hawkmumbler

Edit: Scratch that, it contains everything from Nemesis of the Daleks up to Star Tigers, so the inebitable third volume will feature Emperor of the Daleks and Party Animals.

Sideshow Bob

Just finished reading Volume 1 and 2 of Fatale by Ed Brubaker and Sean Phillips...Great stuff !!.
A sort of Detective mystery / Film Noir with supernatural overtones....Now waiting for Volume 3 to come out.. Highly recommended. :D

Also finished The Cleaners Absent Bodies by Mark Wheaton....A good story, with a plot line set up for more Volumes but apparently Dark Horse aren't doing any more.....A bit of a shame as it had a good premise...Crime scene 'cleaners' removing blood, etc with a paranormal 'theme' running through it....Recommended :)

Elric...The Balance Lost by Michael Moorcock ( Volumes 1, 2 and 3...The complete story ).....Read the books when I was a lot younger, so thought I would give the graphic novel a try...Mehhh!! .....Now I realise why I left Dorian Hawkmoon, Elric and Jerry Cornelious behind all those years ago...Not bad but a bit 'convoluted / life is a circle / eternal champions stuff'....Good if you like all that stuff..I did, but have moved on a bit...Readable but  :|
Cheers..
" This is absolutely NO PLACE for a lover of Food, Fine Wine and the Librettos of RODGERS and HAMMERSTEIN "......Devlin Waugh.

My Comic Art Fans Gallery :  http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=91890

Davek

Quote from: Sideshow Bob on 19 April, 2013, 12:47:21 PM
Just finished reading Volume 1 and 2 of Fatale by Ed Brubaker and Sean Phillips...Great stuff !!.
A sort of Detective mystery / Film Noir with supernatural overtones....Now waiting for Volume 3 to come out.. Highly recommended. :D

The single issues for Volume 3 have been brilliant so far. Less focused on a specific story than the previous volumes; bit more variety. As good as it is You could argue they are padding the title out a bit - we'll see how much this volume actually contributes to the overall story.

Spikes

Jack's Return Home , or if you like the reprint title - Get Carter by Ted Lewis.
A firm fave this, and its a tale that's based in my neck of the woods, which is nice.

Ive never sort out the two other books in the series; Jack Carter's Law and Jack Carter and the Mafia Pigeon. Anyone read these?

Basilisk

I'm rather looking into the Mignolaverse. Hellboy, BPRD, et al. I'm reading the Hellboy Companion, and i've devoured the 2nd Baltimore Trade, with the first one in transit. I've also bought the first Witchfinder trade. Nice Victorian-era-paranormal stuff.
Ah, Henry Peter Gyrich -- I should'a guessed. Tell me -- do you National Security Council Guys get a cheaper rate buyin' those sunglasses in bulk?

Dredd Head

Just finished the judge child, Thought it was excellent :)