Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charlie boy

Legion- William Peter Blatty.
Finally read it after my pre-Christmas reading of The Exorcist. I think I actually preferred the sequel here (although I'm not taking any points away from Exorcist). An exciting read- especially nearing the end when it becomes something of a thriller with the race to reach the next potential murder victim in time- which was well researched and written with good characters (again, like Exorcist). And I didn't know before reading this how Lucifer means Bearer of Light so now I feel that little bit wiser, obviously.

Mabs

Nice one Charlie boy. I definitely need to add this to my reading list. Lucifer does indeed mean Lightbringer, or 'Morningstar'.
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Charlie boy

Quote from: Mabs on 02 May, 2013, 09:04:11 PM
Lucifer does indeed mean Lightbringer, or 'Morningstar'.
My intelligence has now increased twice in one night!
I will admit I could be seen as being pretty ignorant when it comes to matters of religion. Pretty sure I remember seeing on a film that Lucifer could be referred to as "The Morning Star" but didn't know Morningstar could be a straight translation of his name. (To be honest, my knowledge on the Devil tends to come from films I watched long ago or whenever a Marvel character took on Mephisto back in the day...)
On The Exorcist and Legion, Legion takes place 10 years after the events of the first (I think that's roughly the time between prints too). Once or twice I thought maybe I shouldn't have waited so long between reading because I was trying to remember if certain characters were mentioned by name in the original at all but even Kinderman gets asked at one point if he really doesn't remember something, so I guess it works to be in the same boat as the protagonist.

Snuffers

Robo-Hunter: The Droid Files Colume 01
Slade, where have you been all my life?
Just finished the first arc Verdus. [spoiler]May sound a bit corny but; I was actually a little touched from Cutie's sacrifice. The loss of the closest friend whom is a robot says something to me.[/spoiler]
I'm truly looking forward to reading the next story and buying the next volume after tanking through this one.

I bought myself Day of Chaos: The Fourth Faction today so I can make some sense out of a lot of the Megazine stories and this new one in the Prog. I have also bought Insurrection to get joy out the new stuff which I'm mighty interested in. Finally subscribed too. I'm in this for the long run now. However, my wallet may have to take a couple breaks every now and then. (survival purposes)
@NigelSnufkin

I, Cosh

Lucifer is also an old word for match. As in "Strike a light, guv!"

Lucifer, son of the morning, I'm gonna chase you out of Eart'!

Lucifer is the Roman equivalent of the Greek name Phosphorus, given to the planet Venus when seen as the morning star. Similarly, when seen as the evening star, it was Hesperus (or Vesper.) Compare Luthien Tinuviel and Arwen Undomiel.
We never really die.

I, Cosh

Oh yeah, I read the last Hitman trade the other day. It featured a lot of Ennis trademarks, including the sudden introduction of a character and relationship which plays out almost identically in Punisher Max. This didn't really come off totally for me as I wasn't that invested in the characters over the course of the series although I did find it (series, not book) sporadically amusing. The later trades are plenty of bang for your buck though.
We never really die.

Mabs

My aunt gave me a nickname as a kid which stuck - and it translates as crescent moon in Arabic or.........Morningstar in Hebrew! Nice to know i'm connected to Lucifer!  :lol:

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Sideshow Bob

The Cosh,
I've also just finished reading the Hitman series, and agree with you that while finding it sporadically amusing,  it didn't quite 'fire on all cylinders'.....A good enough read though !...with some interesting characters...Six Pack and his crew etc...and some really good artwork by John McCrea..
Also some fairly good stuff with Tommys' continual tirades against superheroes, in particular his lambasting of Green Lantern ( a character I never ever liked...He's got a 'magic' ring !! ) and Tommys' first meeting with the Batman !!.....And of course the eventual 'tie up' with Superman.....All in all,  not 'too bad' and would have no hesitation in recommending it as a reasonably good read..
However, what Hitman  is,  is a 'scene setter' for the lambasting of all Superheroes that follows in the wonderful and extremely cynical series.....The Boys........and that my friend is just wonderful !!...
Everything I want in a graphic novel......violence, humour, great artwork, corrupt superheroes, sex, conspiracy theories and all......I cannot recommend this series highly enough...Just loved it......
If after reading Volume 1 you're not hooked...then it's definitely not for you.....But....If you loved Episode 1 you are in for a treat....Highly recommended !! :D
" This is absolutely NO PLACE for a lover of Food, Fine Wine and the Librettos of RODGERS and HAMMERSTEIN "......Devlin Waugh.

My Comic Art Fans Gallery :  http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=91890

Hawkmumbler

Tegami Bachi (Letter Bee) volume 5.

Probably the greatest a mainstream manga will ever get. A truely heart warming and fun adventure series that doesn't involve meat heads striving to get stronger and focuses on the journeys of a young man striving to be the best post mna he can be. You read that right. Next to OnePunch Man this is my fave Jump title at the moment. It's jolly lovely with stunning art work.

JamesC

Comic wise I'm mainly reading Valiant stuff.
Both Harbinger and Bloodshot are ace (Bloodshot has some nice Barry Kitson artwork), and the current Harbinger Wars story is really action packed and exciting.

Spikes

The Brendan McCarthy issue of DC's SOLO
Brilliant stuff, and very funny - and equally distrubing in places! Those very mean Blue Meanies..

But a top read, that has much to savour on every page. Glad i caught the link for this, and glad i bought a copy. Highly recommended. (Though its been out a while, so its probably only me that hasnt read it yet...)

Richmond Clements

Quote from: Charlie boy on 02 May, 2013, 08:48:07 PM
Legion- William Peter Blatty.
Finally read it after my pre-Christmas reading of The Exorcist. I think I actually preferred the sequel here (although I'm not taking any points away from Exorcist). An exciting read- especially nearing the end when it becomes something of a thriller with the race to reach the next potential murder victim in time- which was well researched and written with good characters (again, like Exorcist). And I didn't know before reading this how Lucifer means Bearer of Light so now I feel that little bit wiser, obviously.

Brilliant, brilliant book.

Trout

I just finished London Calling by (former Megazine writer) Paul Cornell and it was bloody good. The first few chapters were a little slow but then it got very weird. It's sort of like the Bill with added witchcraft. I'd recommend it.

Apologies if it's mentioned somewhere upthread but I don't come here too often. I thought people would appreciate a recommendation.

Mabs

Quote from: Trout on 05 May, 2013, 08:47:19 PM
I just finished London Calling by (former Megazine writer) Paul Cornell and it was bloody good. The first few chapters were a little slow but then it got very weird. It's sort of like the Bill with added witchcraft. I'd recommend it.

Apologies if it's mentioned somewhere upthread but I don't come here too often. I thought people would appreciate a recommendation.

That sounds very interesting, Trout. I might have a read myself. Cheers!

As for me, well not exactly your more adult fare but this book is so damn beautiful i just had to mention it. It's called 'The Heart and the Bottle' by Oliver Jeffers, i read it to my boy yesterday evening and not only did he love it, but so did i. It's very rare to find such an affecting children's story but this was an absolute gem about loss and dreams. And Jeffer's artwork is just extraordinary.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/0007182341/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1367822922&sr=8-1&pi=SL75

I really recommend it especially to those with kids. I also read another story by Jeffer's (actually my son had chosen it at a book fair - good choice!) and it was called 'How to catch a star', and it was just as beautiful:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/0007150342/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1367823100&sr=8-1&pi=SL75

These books will appeal both to the kids and adults. Beautiful stuff indeed.

My Twitter @nexuswookie