Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Simon Beigh

"Judge Anderson: The PSI Files Volume 01" hit the doormat today. Just read episode 1 of "Four Dark Judges". Man, it's going to be good!

Goaty

Been re-read some old Megs. I do love Judge Dredd story; "The Monkey on the back" that was really brilliant story in early Dredd situation before his first appearance in 2000AD Prog 2.

Funny is that when I re-read, it looks like the latest Dredd film, the uniform, Mega City background, preps and Justice dept.

Great story, wish more like that! Early Years of Dredd? 

Simon Beigh

Quote from: Goaty on 14 June, 2013, 07:06:15 PM

Been re-read some old Megs. I do love Judge Dredd story; "The Monkey on the back" that was really brilliant story in early Dredd situation before his first appearance in 2000AD Prog 2.

Funny is that when I re-read, it looks like the latest Dredd film, the uniform, Mega City background, preps and Justice dept.

Great story, wish more like that! Early Years of Dredd?

Sounds interesting - which Meg is it in, Goaty?

Early years Dredd... I like the sound of that. Cadet Dredd perhaps?

Goaty

Quote from: SimeonB on 14 June, 2013, 07:53:28 PMSounds interesting - which Meg is it in, Goaty?

Early years Dredd... I like the sound of that. Cadet Dredd perhaps?

I am sorry it was Monkey On My Back.

It was three parts, in Meg 204 to 206.

It was about 20 years of Dredd, not cadet. the story was flashback to 2099, with Goodman as Chief Judge, with deputy Cal.

Here the teaser of first page.

Greg M.

Great story, one of Garth Ennis's strongest Dredd stories - maybe the strongest he ever wrote.

Simon Beigh

Sounds interesting. I'll add them to my (growing) list of Megs to track down, as Barney says they aren't re-printed anywhere

Link Prime

It was a great story, with complimenting artwork from John Higgins too.
Was that Ennis' swan song on Dredd?

Goaty

Always love that final panel, so sad...

Greg M.

Quote from: Link Prime on 14 June, 2013, 10:19:02 PM
It was a great story, with complimenting artwork from John Higgins too.
Was that Ennis' swan song on Dredd?

Yeah - I'd say he totally absolved himself of 'Helter Skelter' with that one. I know it's unlikely, but I'd love to see Garth back once in a while on Dredd.

Link Prime

I'd love to see Ennis back in the Prog for the odd story too. Still a very talented writer, and had more than a few hits on Dredd, despite the misses.

The Prodigal

Mabs

My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

TordelBack

Quote from: Mabs on 15 June, 2013, 11:15:33 AM
I'm just getting started on this beauty....

http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/2013/06/15/recent-comic-purchases-daytripper/

It's quite, quite brilliant.  I can't imagine what it would be like reading it in one go, but month-to-month it was one of the greatest comics reading experiences I've ever had.

Sideshow Bob

Never even heard of Daytripper before....
Any chance you could give us an idea what it's about ??
Cheers..
" This is absolutely NO PLACE for a lover of Food, Fine Wine and the Librettos of RODGERS and HAMMERSTEIN "......Devlin Waugh.

My Comic Art Fans Gallery :  http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=91890

TordelBack

Quote from: Sideshow Bob on 16 June, 2013, 12:37:09 AM
Any chance you could give us an idea what it's about ??

Working that out is part of the fun!  It certainly wasn't apparent to me for a few months.  Is it enough to tell you that it won an Eisner, a Harvey and an Eagle, all for 'best new limited series' or somesuch,  in the same year? It's one of the most unique, and one of the very best, comics I've ever read.

I don't think any summary would do it justice, you should just read it.

However, if you insist...[spoiler] It's ten different versions (one per issue) of the same ordinary life, each with the main character's life ending in a different way at a different point due to different choices etc.  You get to see the person and his world in the round, and learn a great deal about what is good, and bad, in a finite life.  It also looks gorgeous, it's set in Brazil, and if it doesn't move you close to tears at least once I'd be quite surprised.  [/spoiler]