Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Judge Brian

Quote from: radiator on 04 July, 2013, 09:43:42 PM

It also seems quite continuity-heavy, and doesn't really attempt to explain who all the weird characters are.

It's amazingly continuity free but does take for granted that you have some knowledge of Superman. Bizarro, Lex, the Daily Planet, etc.. Atlas & Sampson exist outside comics.

Sorry you didn't care for it.

Judge Brian

I just finished the first volume of Defoe. I can't say I was overly fond of it. A C+ so far.

Lee Gallagher's storytelling could use some work. One panel he's surrounded by zombies, the next he's not. Later he's face to face with the queen & then he suddenly decides to pay attention to other things, letting her escape. Maybe Mills breaks the story down like that. I know page space is limited.

I've received volume 2 in the mail today. I hope to have it finished by tomorrow.

Hawkmumbler

Caballistics Inc. Going Underground. In a nutshell, fucking imense.

Richmond Clements

Quote from: Judge Brian on 06 July, 2013, 08:33:56 PM
Quote from: radiator on 04 July, 2013, 09:43:42 PM

It also seems quite continuity-heavy, and doesn't really attempt to explain who all the weird characters are.

It's amazingly continuity free but does take for granted that you have some knowledge of Superman. Bizarro, Lex, the Daily Planet, etc.. Atlas & Sampson exist outside comics.

Sorry you didn't care for it.

Indeed. But even at that, pretty much everyone will be aware of who Lex Luthor is and what the Daily Planet is, and Bizarro world is explained well enough.

sheldipez

Just finished Dan Brown's Inferno. Long story short; don't bother.

Simon Beigh

Quote from: Judge Brian on 06 July, 2013, 08:42:36 PM
I just finished the first volume of Defoe. I can't say I was overly fond of it. A C+ so far.

Lee Gallagher's storytelling could use some work. One panel he's surrounded by zombies, the next he's not. Later he's face to face with the queen & then he suddenly decides to pay attention to other things, letting her escape. Maybe Mills breaks the story down like that. I know page space is limited.

I've received volume 2 in the mail today. I hope to have it finished by tomorrow.

I loved Defoe, and am enjoying the latest run in the Prog, but appreciate it might not be everyone's cup of tea. I haven't read 1666 for a while, and it's on loan to a friend so I can't check, but [spoiler]I'm sure Defoe doesn't meet the Queen until the next TPB. The Queen is introduced at the end of the book in a story telling sequence where Damned is telling Defoe about what happened to Damned's brother in Ipswich[/spoiler]. Pat's story-telling does involve flashbacks and images of storys being told by other characters, which may be causing the confusion?

Anyway, I hope you get on better with Volume 2, Queen Of The Zombies.

Simon Beigh

Just finished Ignition City Volume 1 by Gianluca Pagliarani and Warren Ellis. It's set in an alternate 1950's where man has been into space, met some alien species, and it didn't go to well. The setting kind-of reminds me of Rocketman and those early black and white Flash Gordons with Buster Crabbe.

I enjoyed it, Pagliarani's art is very comptent and I like Ellis as a story teller. Not for those of you who don't like some very strong language.

It is called Volume 1, but I find not evidence that other stories exist beyond it...

Mabs

Picked these up for a £1 from a local car boot sale. Special interest goes to the Prog (1513), Arthur Ranson's artwork for the cover is superb. Just reading the contents; Judge Dredd (Origins Part 9). I've read the whole story in TPB form, but it's nice to see the artwork as originally presented. Then we have Chiaroscuro, this is my first encounter with this Thrill, Smudge's artwork is great. Reminds me a bit of Travallion's work. Next up: Sinister Dexter! It's nice to see Finny with long hair, more like Bon Jovi or Jesus than the Joker of recent memory! The Red Seas follows that. Still to read it, but Yeowell's art looks so much better here than his later stuff. Lastly, we have the great Nikolai Dante (Sword of the Tsar Part 3). Great work by Simon Fraser, and Nikolai's finally got a haircut! Bojemoi!  :D

Great stuff!
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Spikes

Quote from: SimeonB on 07 July, 2013, 07:25:53 AM
Just finished Ignition City Volume 1 by Gianluca Pagliarani and Warren Ellis. It's set in an alternate 1950's where man has been into space, met some alien species, and it didn't go to well. The setting kind-of reminds me of Rocketman and those early black and white Flash Gordons with Buster Crabbe.

I enjoyed it, Pagliarani's art is very comptent and I like Ellis as a story teller. Not for those of you who don't like some very strong language.

It is called Volume 1, but I find not evidence that other stories exist beyond it...

I like the sound, and look of that. Just done a bit of googling, and though a 'Volume 2' came up when typing in the title, it didnt lead to owt.
But Volume 1 is possibly summat to look out for when ive finished my reading pile.

Simon Beigh

Quote from: Judge Jack on 07 July, 2013, 02:13:14 PM
I like the sound, and look of that. Just done a bit of googling, and though a 'Volume 2' came up when typing in the title, it didnt lead to owt.
But Volume 1 is possibly summat to look out for when ive finished my reading pile.

Yep, that's where I got to. Maybe it's just called "Volume 1". More likely, I suspect, is either the pair of them haven't got to Volume 2 yet, or the plug was pulled by the publisher...

Defo worth a look, especially if you can do what I did and bag it from your local library  :)

Spikes

If a Volume 2 isnt forthcoming, how does Volume 1 fare? Doesnt end on a cliff hanger, does it?

Simon Beigh

Without giving too much away, it wraps up Volume 1, whilst asking a few more questions. It doesn't finish mid-story. I was happy with it.

Mardroid

Stephen King's latest novel: Joyland.

Mr. King gets a lot of stick for his latest novels, particularly his endings*. This though, was all round very good in my opinion. Ending inclusive.

If you read it expecting a horror** you'll be disappointed. But then again, contrary to how he is labelled Steve has never just been about the horror. This is very much a nostalgic character story, with a murder mystery and a smattering of the supernatural.

The story is told well, pulls on the heart-strings in places and, I thought the ending was rather good, [spoiler]with a couple of twists[/spoiler].

*Not by me, to be fair. I like most of his stuff including his modern stuff but I can see people's point concerning endings.

**That's not to say there aren't bits which are rather horrific. [spoiler]And there is a ghost or two.[/spoiler]

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: ThryllSeekyr on 12 June, 2013, 03:08:26 PM
Still reading The Walking Dead. Onto to Book Ten now.

I have just purchased two of the Dafoe graphic novels.

Should be great reading, having been written by Pat Mills and also concerning zombie apocalypses.

I just got the two Dafoe graphic novels I ordered last Friday. I must say I am impressed with the cover art.  Half the reason why I purchased them and I'm also into Zombies.

It's a pity the artwork contained within seems less than inspiring to me. Sorry to offend Leigh Gallagher but I couldn't be entertained by this artwork alone. I hope this artist isn't reading this and that Pat Mills reputed storytelling skills make this book work for me.

I see that Defoe: Queen of the Zombies is set in Ipswich. I live in Ipswich, Queensland, Australia. Another Ipswich. Though a Ipswich all the same!                         

Skullmo

I have been reading Grant Morrison's run on Doom Patrol. I am up to volume 3 and really enjoying it so far!
It's a joke. I was joking.