Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Carroll

Quote from: radiator on 07 August, 2013, 08:48:58 AM
I'm amazed they haven't yet published collections of Moore's correspondence, rejected pitches and invoices.

Jim_Campbell

Forum needs a LIKE button.

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Theblazeuk

The latest Swamp Thing had some nice moments, particularly when Jeff Lemire took over most of the writing duties for the crossover with Animal Man for 'Rotworld' (so bleak, such great artwork).

However after Rotworld it became a bit dull and I stopped reading.

Simon Beigh

Dammit Mike - that's too good. You had me there for a second...  :D

Frank

Quote from: Mike Carroll on 07 August, 2013, 10:47:12 AM

I can't find that on Amazon. Would you consider selling your copy, Mike (top price paid)?

TordelBack

Mike deserves to go viral.  Although I hear you can get a topical cream for that these days.

Imagining the contents is quite fun too.  "Two pints today please.  The bottles should be positioned at an angle to each other and to the doorstep, so that anyone opening the door sees them both silhouetted against the early morning light, perhaps with drops of condensation suggesting a temperature significantly lower than the ambient air, reminescent of teh ever present threat of the nuclear power station cooling towers in whose shadows we all live.  The tops could be red, or maybe blue, something to echo the quintessential surburban Englishness of it, mixed with its 19th C Amercian origins - a whiff of the Wild West in the domestic idyll, evoking the presence of those brightly-coloured ballast comics in the corner shop.  I've appended a list of local dairies from which appropriate foil- colours could be sourced, but you probably have your own ideas.  Although I intended to order plain milk, it's obviously up to you how to fill the order.  It's always seemed to me that Whiteman's original patent for the glass milk bottle is a design avenue that hasn't been fully explored in comics, or in popular culture as a while, and here we have an opportunity to do something fresh, if you'll pardon the pun, with milk.  "

Mike Carroll

Brilliant, TordelBack! (But for that true vintage Alan Moore style, it should all be in capitals!)

- Mike

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Mike Carroll on 07 August, 2013, 01:55:35 PM
Brilliant, TordelBack! (But for that true vintage Alan Moore style, it should all be in capitals!)

I almost always 'hear' text in my head when I read it.* For some reason, I 'heard' Tordel's entire note not in Alan Moore's distinctive tones, but in the whistful voice of Alan Bennett, which made it even funnier.

Cheers!

Jim

*Side effect of having to read a lot of plays at university.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Proudhuff

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 07 August, 2013, 02:13:37 PM
Quote from: Mike Carroll on 07 August, 2013, 01:55:35 PM

I almost always 'hear' text in my head when I read it.* For some reason, I 'heard' Tordel's entire note not in Alan Moore's distinctive tones, but in the whistful voice of Alan Bennett, which made it even funnier.

Cheers!

Jim

*Side effect of having to read a lot of plays at university.

Spookily enought That's how I 'heard' it too
DDT did a job on me

TordelBack

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 07 August, 2013, 02:13:37 PM...I 'heard' Tordel's entire note not in Alan Moore's distinctive tones, but in the whistful voice of Alan Bennett...

Damn you Campbell, you're absolutely right!  Next time I'll use the first person plural, a bit more swearing and less wist.

Speaking of matters Moore and Campbell, has anyone laid hands on the new From Hell Companion yet?  I've been eyeing it up in the shop, but haven't had the wherewithal to take it home yet.

Basilisk

Oh, cwipes(Walter mode off)... that radiator comment just made me laugh, and i mean laugh a lot. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yep. We seriously need a "like" button. But i haven't seen any in the forums i use/i've used with the Soft this one uses. So i dunno if it's possible. But this forum really needs one. Tons of cool stuff.

Well, now on the thread again. I've read quite a few things these days. Mainly european comics, and Rogue's Tales from New Earth 1... and just a few moments ago i've "annihilated" Green Arrow: Year One. This Jock+Diggle work, the same team that gave us The Losers, is an interesting origin story for good ol' Ollie.

Interesting "coming of age" of Green Arrow, similar in some points to the "Arrow" series, but way, way different in a lot of ways.

This was the "old one" cover:

[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

I was expecting the trade with the "normal" cover, but what i've received was a re-printing from this year. So Jock made a new cover, more similar to the pose of the series Ollie:

The series actor pose:

The resemblance is quite obvious. :lol:

And i'm trhough the(sadly) incomplete Sky Masters of the Space Force series(spanish edition). An edition so good, than got praises from the Kirby Museum and US fans. But the last tome(they were suposed to be three), won't be released, ever. They bargained the two existant hcs. :'(

For a curiosity, it has even a poster(i dunno if i can get it out), of a facsimile of a rough art version folding poster of the cover of the first ever SM story. Good, ol' Master Kirby pencils. With that sensation of a real drawing page. Man, i love those classic Sci-Fi newspaper strips. :-[
Ah, Henry Peter Gyrich -- I should'a guessed. Tell me -- do you National Security Council Guys get a cheaper rate buyin' those sunglasses in bulk?

SuperSurfer

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 06 August, 2013, 02:05:05 PM
(Sadly, Tatjana Wood's colours were sublime on newsprint but, since she purposely allowed for the muddying effects of the paper and took advantage of the relative lack of hard outlines in the art, when reproduced on nicer paper stock, the result is not great.)
Totally agree. I interviewed Nick Landau back in the 80s and I told him back then that I preferred the Titan black and white reprint of Swamp Thing to the colour DC version because of the garish colour printing of the latter. Comics of that era were coloured to take into account the dulling of inks on newsprint. I am amazed that stuff like that is reprinted or published digitally with colours at full blast.

I haven't read Moore's Swamp Thing since it was first published so can't remember enough about the storyline to discuss it in detail. But at the time it ranked for me as one of the best comics I had ever come across.

As far the art – spot on for a horror comic. Eerie and menacing. Ignore the dayglo reprints and hunt down some of the original comics.

Rushed art on supporting characters?

Basilisk

That's really great. Creepy, scary... :o

I have to read Moore's Swampie. Everyone i know recommends it. :-[
Ah, Henry Peter Gyrich -- I should'a guessed. Tell me -- do you National Security Council Guys get a cheaper rate buyin' those sunglasses in bulk?

Theblazeuk

I only read swampie in scans, which were of the original comics I believe.

Sometimes the human characters weren't all too clear but I felt that was more of an artistic choice than a mistake. These panels were also generally filled with foreboding shadows, eldritch growths and incipient vegetation - and the humans themselves screaming or distorted by the paranoia/fear that surrounded them.

Theblazeuk

Quote from: sheldipez on 01 August, 2013, 03:41:30 PM
Oh my giddy aunt! I totally remember this story and thought it awfully harsh! I always thought early 2012 was the first time I picked up a prog (outside of Judgement on Gotham and the Shaun of the Dead prog) I must have tried 2000ad back with that prog and thought "nah, not for me". Any idea what year this was or even the prog number so as I can have a butchers?

Belated reply as I only just got a chance - it was in 1993, all of the progs reprinted in case files #20 are from then I believe (not a vast amount of detail available in the notes).