Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

radiator

QuoteTotally agree. I interviewed Nick Landau back in the 80s and I told him back then that I preferred the Titan black and white reprint of Swamp Thing to the colour DC version because of the garish colour printing of the latter. Comics of that era were coloured to take into account the dulling of inks on newsprint. I am amazed that stuff like that is reprinted or published digitally with colours at full blast.

That's an interesting point and something I'd never really thought about.

Most modern reprints of old material make me itch for the ability to turn down the saturation.

sheldipez

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 08 August, 2013, 10:43:08 AM
Quote from: sheldipez on 01 August, 2013, 03:41:30 PM
Oh my giddy aunt! I totally remember this story and thought it awfully harsh! I always thought early 2012 was the first time I picked up a prog (outside of Judgement on Gotham and the Shaun of the Dead prog) I must have tried 2000ad back with that prog and thought "nah, not for me". Any idea what year this was or even the prog number so as I can have a butchers?

Belated reply as I only just got a chance - it was in 1993, all of the progs reprinted in case files #20 are from then I believe (not a vast amount of detail available in the notes).

Thank you! I think this was prog 840 - I'm looking through 1993 issues now and I had a more than a few of these - prog 855 for e.g. with Dredd vs a T Rex (he's complete with a judge badge too! WTF). This era's progs seem to be a bit schizophrenic; some have stunningly painted covers that give the impression that it's all a bit adult but then some of these progs have a free pencil [830] or badge [873]. 70p and a free 2000 AD badge eh. I wonder how much it would cost for a badge alone these days  :lol:

Mabs

I'm still reading Creepy Presents Richard Corben, and I must say some of the stories have blown me away. "In Deep" is one of the most awesome short stories I have ever read, Corben's artwork is just majestic to behold and the story is gripping from the start with a shocking ending.. Nobody has a better eye for perspective and angles than him. Not to mention his colouring, which was revolutionary at the time. "The Oval Painting" and "The Raven" were just as good, both being based on the works of Edgar Allan Poe. It is amazing to think that the guy is in his 70's and still creating masterful artwork for Dark Horse. In terms of creating truly creepy artwork he is second to none, for me he is like the Ray Harryhausen of comics - a true revolutionary in his field.
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Recrewt

Finally sat down and read the first two comics from the new IDW X-Files Series 10.  So far so good - it has started off nicely and is an interesting story.  The story starts off a few years after the movie and we are getting introduced back to all the usual faces from x-files.  I do wonder how easy this is for a total newbie to pick up but having seen almost all the TV shows I really don't have that issue myself.

Chris Carter is on board as Executive Producer and so far, this feels very much like the x-files we all know.  The current story 'believers' is a 5-parter so it will be interesting to see how it feels following an episode over nearly half a year compared to the 1-hour TV show.   

Not the most visually spectacular or thought-provoking comic I will ever read but a very enjoyable one to sit down and read at the end of the day.  I will certainly be keeping up with it for as long as the current story.

sheldipez

Quote from: Recrewt on 08 August, 2013, 02:19:43 PM
Not the most visually spectacular or thought-provoking comic I will ever read but a very enjoyable one to sit down and read at the end of the day.  I will certainly be keeping up with it for as long as the current story.

It's definitely not a piece de resistance of comic book art but I really like the minimalistic art that catches the likeness of the characters without being photo-like (which was often a distraction in the Wildstorm series).

As a big File fan I'm gratefull that not only IDW chose to continue the show but that they got a good writer onboard who's a massive fanboy himself. It's been worth it so far just to put right the death of [spoiler]the lonegunmen[/spoiler] who, lets face it, not even the actors themselves believed they actually "died".

It might work better in trade format to read it an arc sized chunks (so far a single issue has felt like 20mins of a show to me) but I think the monthly format works well for me so I tune in every month so I don't feel like I miss the show as much  :D.

Link Prime

Quote from: sheldipez on 08 August, 2013, 03:20:33 PM
It's been worth it so far just to put right the death of [spoiler]the lonegunmen[/spoiler] who, lets face it, not even the actors themselves believed they actually "died".

I've been ploughing through the gargantuan DVD box-set since January this year (Season 1-9 & both movies for 50 Euro- bargain), am halfway through season 8 and liking the 'non-classic' period (seasons 6-9) a lot more this time around.
I'd genuinely forgotten those guys were unceremoniously killed off. Nice to hear its been addressed / rectified.

sheldipez

Quote from: Link Prime on 09 August, 2013, 10:13:17 AM
Quote from: sheldipez on 08 August, 2013, 03:20:33 PM
It's been worth it so far just to put right the death of [spoiler]the lonegunmen[/spoiler] who, lets face it, not even the actors themselves believed they actually "died".

I've been ploughing through the gargantuan DVD box-set since January this year (Season 1-9 & both movies for 50 Euro- bargain), am halfway through season 8 and liking the 'non-classic' period (seasons 6-9) a lot more this time around.
I'd genuinely forgotten those guys were unceremoniously killed off. Nice to hear its been addressed / rectified.

They got together in the flesh for a little reunion to celebrate - the comic evidently doesn't depict their aging!

Recrewt

Ha!  Yeah, series 8 was not that bad - at the time it was just caught up with all the fuss about Mulder leaving - although he never properly left did he?  This over-shadowed Robert Patrick, which is a shame, cos Doggett was a fantastic character.  In fact, I had the biggest smile on my face when I was reading comic #2 and he popped up.  As sheldipez says, the writer clearly knows the x-files and is doing everything right at the moment.

Judge Brian

The X-Files comic is fun, but I fear for [spoiler]Dogget.[/spoiler]

Mabs

I'm currently reading...

ALL THIS! Thanks to Geckodroog over at the classified section, looks like a real treat. Some of the artwork for the floppies look stunning, especially Kev Walker and Book Cook. :D

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Simon Beigh

Welcome to the Meg party, Mabs! Looking forward to seeing what you think of some of this recent fodder. It will be months before I get there on my Meg Odyssey!

Mabs

Quote from: SimeonB on 09 August, 2013, 05:54:14 PM
Welcome to the Meg party, Mabs! Looking forward to seeing what you think of some of this recent fodder. It will be months before I get there on my Meg Odyssey!

Heh, thanks Simeon! It'll be interesting to hear your thoughts when you do catch up (I have to say the first Meg was very enjoyable!).

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Judge Brian

I finished reading the first 2 Judge Anderson novels: Fear the Darkness & Red Shadows. Neither were really all that good but I liked Red Shadows more than the other one.

Link Prime

Quote from: Recrewt on 09 August, 2013, 03:45:39 PM
Ha!  Yeah, series 8 was not that bad - at the time it was just caught up with all the fuss about Mulder leaving - although he never properly left did he?  This over-shadowed Robert Patrick, which is a shame, cos Doggett was a fantastic character. 

Sorry for the thread derail, but I gotta voice my love for Doggett too. Didn't appreciate his character or Robert Patrick's deft turn at the time.
He's the absolute highlight of Season 8. F-ck Mulder & Scully- I want to see John Doggett on the big screen for the next movie.

Mardroid

On the novel front I'm reading Lindqvist's novel Little Star. Interesting, certainly original, and rather nasty in places. It says something that one of the most innocent characters in the book is a[spoiler] cold blooded killer. [/spoiler]

Alternatively there are other characters who[spoiler] are not killers, and yet are somehow more perverse. [/spoiler]

[spoiler]There is also another character who shares a theme with Oscar from Let the Right One In, except I found Oscar's character more relateable due to circumstances while I get the impression this girl's main issue is her own mind. [/spoiler]

I'm nearing the end now and I think things are about to get even nastier. Interesting, but disturbing.

I also recently got Alan Moore's run of Captain Britain A Twisted World. I got the  Marvel Ultimate Ultimate edition. (Remember those hardback collections that hit the comics shops and W H Smiths a while back? I used to subscribe but I for financial reasons stopped. I still try to pick them up just at my own pace now.)

I've yet to read this, and I'm unacquainted with Captain Britain, but I've read good things about this. I've liked most of Alan Moore's stuff (although there's plenty I haven't read*) so I'll probably like thus.

*The second League of Extraordinary Gentlemen was a bit too nasty for me. And From Hell bored me silly in places although part of that was due to my not understanding it all. I seem to like much of the rest I've read. Some stuff more than others.