Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mabs

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 14 October, 2013, 09:13:06 PM
Arthur Ranson has alas retired BUT he has a rather lovely website and a web comic he's using to learn how to create computer art. The man is quite brilliant.

http://www.arthurranson.com/

That is one awesome site, Colin. Thank you for the info and link! :-)
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Ancient Otter

Charleys War Volume 10: The End. Sad to see this wrap up, can't wait to read all ten in one go.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Ancient Otter on 16 October, 2013, 09:25:27 PM
Charleys War Volume 10: The End. Sad to see this wrap up, can't wait to read all ten in one go.
Didn't realise this was already out. Ordered. As you say I'll be sad its over but be so chuffed to have it complete... well assuming they don't decide to do a special artist focused edition of the latter stuff as Pat Mills suggested.

Fragminion

Currently following Stormwatch/DC
The Judge Dredd/IDW
And DL'ing the 2000AD and Judge Dredd Megs after I found out a physical sub cost over $200 American.(Ouch)
But thanks to the Dredd3D have stared buying up all old Dredd that I can. Just finished up the Eagle/QC run of Dredd, and starting to get the DC runs of Dredd and Legands of the LAW.
Thinking of picking up Demon Knights now that its coming to an end.
Nothing else really grabs me.

Guh I miss the good old days.

Such a big Alan Grant fanboy from back in the day.

pictsy

I am in the middle of reading Game of Thrones.  I'm taking my time with it.  The first series of the TV show was such a close adaptation I'm not really getting anything new from the book so it isn't turning into a page turner for me.

I was planning on reading Virtual Light by William Gibson.  I really enjoyed the Sprawl trilogy.  I got the Bridge trilogy for Christmas last year (except Idoru, which I've had for years).  I haven't been getting through so many books this year because I have been reading:

2000AD!  I started with the first prog I got back in '94 and have been slowly working my way to the current progs.  I started this a year a go.  I had a hiatus of a few months because there was a five year gap in my collection and I needed to save my pennies so I could buy the back issues.  I am now approaching the point I started collecting again.  It has been really interesting to see the changes in the last twenty years. 

sheldipez

Got it after work yesterday and couldn't be bothered with anything, so I re-read the entire Case Files 2, that Cal chap was a little bit unhinged wasn't he.

Hawkmumbler

Case Files 2 and 3 are my default "fuck all else to do" reads. Theres a certain joy and ingenuity between these two collections that really makes you appreciate just how good early Dredd was.

shaolin_monkey

For some bizarre reason I bought the paperback of 'the Day the Law Died' a few weeks back.  God knows why, as I already have it in the case files.  However, it made nice bedtime reading recently when I couldn't be arsed with my weightier tomes.  That Cal, eh?  Tut tut.

Mabs

I finished reading Grandville last night after putting the kids to bed, and my word - what an absolute blast I had! It was marvellous. Everything from Bryan Talbot's wicked script to his artwork was just a pleasure to behold. The characters were very well fleshed out esp. the main Badger Inspector and his Ratty assistant (very Sherlock Holmes!) and the world he created was so intriguing. I was a big fan of The Wind in the Willows and Rupert Bear growing up, and it's clear Talbot pays his homage to these characters. Hell, Rupert even gets a cameo near the start! Not to mention the steam punk/ noir setting, and a nice commentary on current events too, such as goverment cover up and so on. There was something very quintissentially British about the script, which I loved, not least the humour.

I can't believe it took me so long to read it. Well I tell you what, I'm heading back to my library to pick up book two!

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Mabs

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 18 October, 2013, 02:34:39 PM
For some bizarre reason I bought the paperback of 'the Day the Law Died' a few weeks back.  God knows why, as I already have it in the case files.  However, it made nice bedtime reading recently when I couldn't be arsed with my weightier tomes.  That Cal, eh?  Tut tut.

It's a classic. I have the small paperback version which Rebelliin released last year, I take it that's the version you read aswell Shaolin? I quite like 'em! The printing is small but it's perfect to take with you on your travels. I also have The Cursed Earth Saga; speaking of which does anyone know where I can read those banned episodes? It's a damn shame they had to be excluded.  :-\

My Twitter @nexuswookie

judda fett

Picked up the Frank Miller and Juan Jose Ryp trade run on Robocop which was good gratuitous fun and filled in a few gaps of the odd issues I missed when it originally ran. Also Geoff Darrow's Shaolin Cowboy, 'The Star Wars' (based on George Lucas original drafts) and Love and Rockets Unreleased Stories #6 are all currently on the coffee table.

Colin YNWA

Just finished the final volume of Charley's War. Quite superb. One of the truly great comic series and I'm so pleased we have it all in such great books. I wonder what the new edition coming out next year will be like mind?

Proteus4

Stephen King - Dr Sleep - i'm not very far through it so far but i bloody love it.

Halo Jones - just read books 1 & 2 last week and about to start book 3.

Been following Saga in the trades - its awesome

Also working my way through a lot of dredd between 1000 and 1800 that i've never read (i was languishing in a thrillsucker prison somewhere)

cheers
Dave
My opinion is not to be trusted: I think Last Action Hero is AWESOME. And What Women Want.

SmallBlueThing

Several things on the go at the moment- a couple of Kim Stanley novels- ICEHENGE and ANTARCTICA, Stan  Lee and John Buscema's HOW TO DRAW COMICS THE MARVEL WAY, Robert E Howard's original CONAN stories, and a whole host of CONAN comics, from the Marvel monthly colour and black & white titles, to the various Dark Horse series. Particularly enamoured with SAVAGE SWORD's Buscema-drawn stories, and the current run of three issue arcs published by Dark Horse. And 'The Dark Is Rising' by Susan Cooper, as a bedtime story for the kids.

Comics-wise other than Conan, I'm reading Superior Spider-Man, Superior Foes of Spider-Man, Superior Spider-Man Team-Up, Superior Carnage, Daredevil, Daredevil: Dark Nights, Fantastic Four, FF, Mighty Avengers, Infinity (top read of the month), IDW's Judge Dredd, Mars Attacks Judge Dredd, Judge Dredd Classics, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Swamp Thing, Constantine, The Walking Dead, Saga, and dipping into a number of other titles either in print, digitally or in trade only- including The X-Files, Hoax Hunters, Revival, Captain America, Hawkeye, and Dr Who: Prisoners of Time (which is so terrible, it's exactly like a Who-themed slow-motion car crash. Much the same as I view IDW's main Dredd title, actually).

Plus, you know, whatever takes my fancy on a daily basis.

SBT

Hawkmumbler

SBT, you honestly the first person I've ever heard have anything bad to say about Prisoners of Time! I thinks its been a right good little series. Now, I vastly preferred Hunters of the Burning Stone as a celebration, but PoT hasn't been a bad run from IDW.