Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

judda fett

Also picked up Hellblazer 'Hard Time' trade primarily for the Richard Corben art. I'm only a casual Constantine follower and I believe this got a frosty reception from certain fan quarters on release but I enjoyed it.

Mabs

Quote from: judda fett on 23 October, 2013, 09:55:21 PM
Also picked up Hellblazer 'Hard Time' trade primarily for the Richard Corben art. I'm only a casual Constantine follower and I believe this got a frosty reception from certain fan quarters on release but I enjoyed it.

Why was that Judda? Was it because of Corben's art or the story? I would kill for a Corben rendered book. That's on my list of must reads, being a fan of both Corben and Hellblazer I really must get a hold of it. Nice to hear that you enjoyed it.

My own reading escapades include Judge Dredd Case File 20; it's mildly enjoyable fare so far, I say mild because as you all know the bulk of the book is by Mark Millar and Grant Morrison to some extent. The Book of the Dead was quite fun, I know a lot of you guys would probably feel otherwise, but I liked the humour in it and the artwork by Dermot Power was brilliant. Especially mindboggling were his art on the Luxorian city, his sci-fi landscapes are truly amazing to behold.

My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

TordelBack

Quote from: Mabs on 24 October, 2013, 12:05:15 PM...the artwork by Dermot Power was brilliant. Especially mindboggling were his art on the Luxorian city, his sci-fi landscapes are truly amazing to behold.

I don't think I ever heard anyone criticise the art!  In many ways that's what made that story so annoying to me personally:  when the art is as good as it could possibly be, the script is bargain basement offal.

judda fett

Hey Mabs I think it was felt that it wasn't quite in keeping with the character (writing rather than art). Like I say I'm not a regular reader of Hellblazer but a big fan of Corben so I had no issue with the story and the art is superb. I got it on Amazon quite cheap and think its been out of print for a good while.

Mabs

Quote from: TordelBack on 24 October, 2013, 12:13:05 PM
Quote from: Mabs on 24 October, 2013, 12:05:15 PM...the artwork by Dermot Power was brilliant. Especially mindboggling were his art on the Luxorian city, his sci-fi landscapes are truly amazing to behold.

I don't think I ever heard anyone criticise the art!  In many ways that's what made that story so annoying to me personally:  when the art is as good as it could possibly be, the script is bargain basement offal.

One thing I did not like about Mark Millar and Grant Morrison's writing was the representation of Dredd. Not only here but in the stories which followed. By the end of one I just wondered to myself if they really got Dredd at all (the answer to that would no doubt be a resounding 'NO'). The humour was okay, but Millar just seems to overdo things. In truth I like Garth Ennis' stuff better, even though he himself has aknowledged that his tenure on Judge Dredd was poor.

What ever became of Mr. Powers? The guy is so talented I'd love to see more of his stuff.

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Mabs

Quote from: judda fett on 24 October, 2013, 12:23:50 PM
Hey Mabs I think it was felt that it wasn't quite in keeping with the character (writing rather than art). Like I say I'm not a regular reader of Hellblazer but a big fan of Corben so I had no issue with the story and the art is superb. I got it on Amazon quite cheap and think its been out of print for a good while.

It most definitely has! Some of the prices cited on eBay are bloody outrageous!

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Recrewt

Managed to pick up some bargain old 2000ad TPBs from my local comic shop, so I have been reading:

Lobster Random: No gain, no pain
Well this is a new character to me and it proved to be a fun, snappy tale.  Lobster Random was a genetically modified soldier, adapted to never need sleep or to feel pain with a giant pair of claws surgically grafted onto his sides.  The story starts with LR being sprung out of jail and the offer of a new job....
Mr Critchlow's artwork is fantastic and there were several times where I laughed out loud.  I believe the next book of LR is going to be the floppy in next month's Meg so it will be interesting to see where they go with this chraracter.

Atavar
I picked this up on the basis that Richard Elson did the artwork so I knew it would at least look impressive.  The Kalen, an ancient alien race, are being annihilated. A machine intelligence, known as the UOS, is devastating their galaxy and the Kalen believe that humans created it, long ago — before their race vanished.  But the Kalen have a plan. They will create a human from what DNA they have been able to locate, and he will be their salvation — he will be the Atavar!  This collects the first two books.  The first one was not bad at all but book 2 really improves on this.  Some of the dialogue between Atavar and Worldbreaker were brilliant and really made me smile.  This TPB does not include the last book so it did seem to end abruptly.  I find myself wanting to know more - did they really defeat the UOS?  Looks like I might need to pick up some back issues if I ever want to find out - perhaps this could be published as a Meg floppy in the future?

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Recrewt on 24 October, 2013, 01:03:41 PM
Atavar
...This collects the first two books.  The first one was not bad at all but book 2 really improves on this.  Some of the dialogue between Atavar and Worldbreaker were brilliant and really made me smile.  This TPB does not include the last book so it did seem to end abruptly.  I find myself wanting to know more - did they really defeat the UOS?  Looks like I might need to pick up some back issues if I ever want to find out - perhaps this could be published as a Meg floppy in the future?

I for one would definately buy a complete trade - and with Abnett/Elson's stock fairly high what with Kingdom being so popular, maybe this isn't so unlikely somewhere down the line...?

I really, really liked this thrill - one of my favourites at the time, and the more so because it was fairly self-contained and not trying to be a pitch for an indefinite series. Also a rare example of what we see all too infrequently in 2K, a very alien-lite cosmos. There's a line (in the second book, I think) when the Atavar expresses surprise that the UOS have 'only' wiped out two planets in a hundred years - 'The galaxy does not teem with life, Atavar. In all our long history, we have only ever encountered four other races. The UOS have already wiped out two of those.'
@jamesfeistdraws

Colin YNWA

Lobster Random would possibly make my list of top ten thrills if I was ever foolish enough to attempt one. Love it and hope against hope that when Si Spurrier hinted that he'd liek to bring him back when I asked him about it at Thought Bubble last year he wasn't just being nice to appease the gushing fanboy!

Avatar has one of my favourite opening episodes ever. Not that the rest is bad, but that opener was outstanding.

pictsy

Lobster Random and Atavar have been highlights of my recent big 2000 AD reread for the progs of the missing years when I stopped collecting.

Dandontdare

currently on "Dr Who - the coming of the Terraphiles" by Michael Moorcock. Apparently this caused a bit of a kerfuffle in Who fandom (what doesn't?) but I'm enjoying it. It's typical Moorcock - big cosmic storyline about the Mulitiverse, featuring a dark anti-hero pirate by the name of Cornelius. Enjoying it so far.

Also bought "Secret Identity" the 'superman-in-our-world' story by Kurt Busiek - fantastic stuff

Mabs

My Twitter @nexuswookie

judda fett

Quote from: Mabs on 25 October, 2013, 10:42:30 AM
The Last Voyage of Sinbad by Richard Corben & Jan Strnad;

http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/2013/10/25/the-last-voyage-of-sinbad-by-richard-corben-jan-strnad-review/

Absolutely magical stuff!

It's on my birthday list (as long as its a reasonable price), that an Book Of Scars.

Mabs

Quote from: judda fett on 25 October, 2013, 10:49:25 AM

http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/2013/10/25/the-last-voyage-of-sinbad-by-richard-corben-jan-strnad-review/

It's on my birthday list (as long as its a reasonable price), that an Book Of Scars.

It's out of print therefore a good price may be hard to come by. The best I saw was a hardcover version on Amazon for £25.00 and even that is quite a bargain because the paperback version can cost anything upto £45.00. I was lucky enough to nab my copy for a tenner from eBay, I think my advice would be to keep an eye out for any copies over there. One might turn up for a good price sooner or later. As I stated in my review, a reprint is long overdue.

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Dragonfly

Quote from: Mabs on 25 October, 2013, 11:34:52 AM
Quote from: judda fett on 25 October, 2013, 10:49:25 AM

A lot of Richard Corbens stuff needs reprinting, especially this and Den. I was lucky enough to pick up a copy of The Last Voyage Of Sinbad about twenty two years ago for the princely sum of £1.99!! That was in the old Comic Showcase in London which is sadly no more.

It's out of print therefore a good price may be hard to come by. The best I saw was a hardcover version on Amazon for £25.00 and even that is quite a bargain because the paperback version can cost anything upto £45.00. I was lucky enough to nab my copy for a tenner from eBay, I think my advice would be to keep an eye out for any copies over there. One might turn up for a good price sooner or later. As I stated in my review, a reprint is long overdue.