Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daveycandlish

Reading Lance Parkin's biography of Alan Moore, Magic Words. If the figures bandied about in here are true, the bearded one is worth a bob or two. A good read though, showing all sides to the various disputes he has had with companies and people over the decades. It's never quite so clear cut as you think, is it?
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Daveycandlish on 15 January, 2014, 05:18:49 PM
Reading Lance Parkin's biography of Alan Moore, Magic Words. If the figures bandied about in here are true, the bearded one is worth a bob or two. A good read though, showing all sides to the various disputes he has had with companies and people over the decades. It's never quite so clear cut as you think, is it?

Yeah my recent working through a few bits and bobs surrounding The Mighty Beardo since his last interview has made it clear to me I really should read this. Will be picking it up.

Frank

If the figures bandied about in here are true, the bearded one is worth a bob or two.

When troilistic marriage ends in divorce, the alimony is doubled.

Chris Tresson

I've not finished it yet, quite far off the finish actually. Just can't find the time to do it justice with a good lengthy reading session!

TordelBack

Moore himself seems well-disposed towards the book, so it's probably not too wildly wrong.  Mind you, when you think of what he could be worth if he'd taken all that was offered.  Or if certain herbal products were tax-deductible as a business expense...

Still love Eddie Campbell's story about hearing rumours that Alan had bought his mother a house with the proceeds from some 80's thing or other, only for Alan to inform him that it was a greenhouse.

O Lucky Stevie!

Stephen King. Joyland. How's a boy supposed to read shitty Star Trek novels after that?
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

Mabs

I was so jealous seeing Tombo's complete B.P.R.D Hardcover collection on another thread, that I decided to finish my own collection off ( I had the first two books). So I hastily purchased Vol. 3 and 1/3 of the way through reading (Just finished The Universal Machine) and I'm finding myself having to yank my jaw off the ground! What a beautiful story.....I was so close to tears!  :'(, and of course we have our usual creepy goings on not least involving Dr. Corrigan's trip to France as the rest of the team sit around a table discussing his/ her own brush with loss and death. It was a brilliant opening, utterly gripping and Guy Davis' artwork as usual, had my mouth watering. And Dave Stewart's colours...... :o

So after finishing this book I'll be purchasing the last one in the Plague of Frogs arc, and then I can look on at Tombo's book shelf without feeling envious as hell!  :D
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Skullmo

Quote from: O Lucky Stevie! on 16 January, 2014, 06:09:13 AM
Stephen King. Joyland. How's a boy supposed to read shitty Star Trek novels after that?

Try some Tolstoy then.
It's a joke. I was joking.

Skullmo

Reading my way back through the SD Agency files. The first 3 volumes have been a real burst of thrillpower! Not looking forward to volume 5 though :/
It's a joke. I was joking.

radiator

Tried out two new comics that I'd heard good things about - Locke & Key and East of West.

Again, literally no idea what was going on in each. This is becoming a recurring theme. Maybe it's because I only read right before bed and my tired brain can't make sense of things?

Also picked up The Underwater Welder in a recent sale. Couldn't see what all the fuss was about and didn't make it to the end.

Link Prime

Quote from: radiator on 16 January, 2014, 10:15:25 AM
Tried out two new comics that I'd heard good things about - Locke & Key and East of West.

Again, literally no idea what was going on in each. This is becoming a recurring theme. Maybe it's because I only read right before bed and my tired brain can't make sense of things?

Also picked up The Underwater Welder in a recent sale. Couldn't see what all the fuss was about and didn't make it to the end.

A surprising post there Radiator.
I can't comment on East of West, as I've never read it, but I genuinely found Locke & Key to be instantly accessible.
In fact it's something I've recommended to non-comic readers, and the response was universally positive.
My original Vol. 1 hardback (which I haven't seen in about 3 years) has been passed around friends & family like a joint at Woodstock.

Regarding The Underwater Welder- it helps that I'm a fan of Lemire, but it was genuinely my favorite graphic novel of 2012.
Did the art put you off, or you just weren't fussed about the story?

radiator

QuoteRegarding The Underwater Welder- it helps that I'm a fan of Lemire, but it was genuinely my favorite graphic novel of 2012.

The art had a certain atmosphere to it, could never work out if I liked it or not, really. But no, for me the story just bored me. I just kept thinking 'if this was a film, I'd have switched it off ages ago'.

I'll give L&K another go. Tbh I wasn't a fan of the art, and found it very hard to distinguish one generic-looking character from another.

East of West just seemed like lots of 'cool' imagery, but I just couldn't find a way in to the story, or a reason why I should care about any of the characters. Perhaps because I grew up with 2000ad, I like my comics to be punchy and set out their stall off the bat. Series like Preacher, Transmet or 100 Bullets have a great hook that is set up in their very first issue whereas I find a lot of modern stuff a bit obtuse. I tend to find the most hyped comic book writers of recent years leave me completely cold.

Link Prime

Quote from: radiator on 16 January, 2014, 11:30:46 AM
The art had a certain atmosphere to it, could never work out if I liked it or not, really. But no, for me the story just bored me. I just kept thinking 'if this was a film, I'd have switched it off ages ago'.

Fair enough, we've all had that 'this isnt grabbing me' moment.
I had a similar situation with the 1st issue of the new 'Dead Boy Detectives'. I'm a fan of the concept, the Brubaker original mini, and of Mark Buckingham, but damn; three attempts to read it this week, and I barely got to page 10 without falling asleep out of utter boredom.

Sideshow Bob

Got to give my support to Locke and Key....Recommended to me by Mr Prime....I found it absolutely marvellous, both art and story,  and am patiently waiting for the final TPB to come out to complete the series....
Just wonderful stuff....

However, got to agree with Radiator here though,  as regards The Underwater Welder.......I bought this based on several recommendations here,  and I'm sorry it just didn't do it for me at all.....
The artwork was fine....a bit sparse but certainly fitted well with the whole storyline, it's just that the said storyline was a bit..........'boring' is not the right word....but it just didn't grip me like I thought it would.....A good enough read but not what I was expecting given the 'hype'....

Cheers
" This is absolutely NO PLACE for a lover of Food, Fine Wine and the Librettos of RODGERS and HAMMERSTEIN "......Devlin Waugh.

My Comic Art Fans Gallery :  http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=91890

Apestrife

Quote from: radiator on 16 January, 2014, 11:30:46 AM
QuoteRegarding The Underwater Welder- it helps that I'm a fan of Lemire, but it was genuinely my favorite graphic novel of 2012.

I'll give L&K another go. Tbh I wasn't a fan of the art, and found it very hard to distinguish one generic-looking character from another.

East of West just seemed like lots of 'cool' imagery, but I just couldn't find a way in to the story, or a reason why I should care about any of the characters. Perhaps because I grew up with 2000ad, I like my comics to be punchy and set out their stall off the bat. Series like Preacher, Transmet or 100 Bullets have a great hook that is set up in their very first issue whereas I find a lot of modern stuff a bit obtuse. I tend to find the most hyped comic book writers of recent years leave me completely cold.

I agree on the art in L&K. It has it's charm but alot of characters more or less looks the same. Especially the mother and "the villain".

But seeing past that the story is quite brilliant. Best read from start to finnish.