Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Theblazeuk

I love the art in Locke and Key, beautiful stuff. Dont find the characters generic looking at all.

Link Prime

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 17 January, 2014, 12:34:08 PM
I love the art in Locke and Key, beautiful stuff. Dont find the characters generic looking at all.

I feel the same.
I even purchased the recent reprint Treasury edition (2000AD size) collecting some issues from 'Crown Of Shadows'.
Rodriguez is an amazing artist.

Mabs

^This. Without doubt.

I can understand the fact that some of the characters may seem somewhat similar in terms of looks, but that's just the way Rodriguez draws them. And after a while you can tell who is who. Sometimes it's a conscious decision like when the two eldest siblings go back in time and encounter their ancestors, and the brother and sister of the past mirrors themselves via physical likeness. There are enough quirks and minor things such as hair colour or a lip ring which gives the characters their own unique looks.

By the way, I'm also a massive fan of Gabriel Rodriguez. Some of the layouts and details in his panels are mindblowing. His work is a perfect match for the story. Beautiful, unsettling, and unforgettable, there are moments from the comic which lingers with you long time afterwards.
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Judge Brian

Locke & Key is my favorite finite comic series of all time. Great story, great art, characters you care about, wonderfully terrifying concept.

GrinningChimera

Just finished Transmetropolitan vols 1 and 2.

Next up on the list of things to read is the book Vultures Picnic by Greg Palast.

Should be fun.

The Cheat

Quote from: Mabs on 16 January, 2014, 09:53:17 AM
I was so jealous seeing Tombo's complete B.P.R.D Hardcover collection on another thread, that I decided to finish my own collection off ( I had the first two books). So I hastily purchased Vol. 3 and 1/3 of the way through reading (Just finished The Universal Machine) and I'm finding myself having to yank my jaw off the ground! What a beautiful story.....I was so close to tears!  :'(, and of course we have our usual creepy goings on not least involving Dr. Corrigan's trip to France as the rest of the team sit around a table discussing his/ her own brush with loss and death. It was a brilliant opening, utterly gripping and Guy Davis' artwork as usual, had my mouth watering. And Dave Stewart's colours...... :o

So after finishing this book I'll be purchasing the last one in the Plague of Frogs arc, and then I can look on at Tombo's book shelf without feeling envious as hell!  :D

I just powered through all the Hellboy and B.R.P.D hardcovers over Christmas. They'd been on my shelf for ages, can't believe it took me so long to dive in. Stuck now though since it doesn't look like there's any immediate plans to collect the Hell on Earth series as hardcovers :(
Meh!

Ancient Otter

Quote from: GrinningChimera on 18 January, 2014, 06:31:02 AM

Next up on the list of things to read is the book Vultures Picnic by Greg Palast.

Should be fun.

Please let us know about that, I was thinking of picking it up. I know Warren Ellis name dropped Greg Palast a few times, maybe as a influence on Spider Jerusalem as well?

CrazyFoxMachine

Amala's Blade Issues 0 to 4 (Dark Horse) Steve Horton & Michael Dialynas

I won a signed copy of the zero issue by random chance by liking the Facebook page for Amala's Blade. I ordered the rest of the issues from my local comic shop - without even reading it really - I just dug the look of it and you can't get stronger incentive than that really (winnings aside). Amala's Blade is about an island nation separated into two warring factions: the "Purifiers" (Steampunk) and "Modifiers" (Cyberpunk). In the middle is the mercenary Amala - literally haunted by the ghosts of her past that hang around her. The five-issue miniseries is a nice self-contained story that whips along at such a breathless pace that it sometimes leaves you swimming - but there are some strong characters and some very memorable set-pieces. This is all very much helped by Dialynas's outrageously vibrant art - with a strong sense of movement and an amazing feel for colour - the atmospheric intricacies of every panel evoke a hand-drawn point-and-click adventure. Mr Dialynas is a serious talent - and the comic is a keeper for the extraordinary art alone - never mind the immersive world it ushers into your brain.

What is odd format-wise (and bear in mind this is the only Dark Horse "monthly" I've ever picked up) is that in the back of most issues there is dedicated maybe two or three pages just to the author Steve Horton replying directly to the lavish praise that's been piled on the series. Which just seems... off to me.

"HI THIS IS BARRY GOODMAN, RENOWNED US COMICS WRITER, I JUST WANTED TO SAY THE PROMO COPY OF ISSUE ZERO YOU SENT ME WAS AMAZING."

"WOW, MR GOODMAN, THANKS FOR SAYING THAT - IT REALLY HAS BEEN FUN TO WRITE. STEVE".

Just... seems like something that should be in private correspondence really. Seeing all this just after you've read the issue makes it seem like Dark Horse think "if we don't put PRAISE in there the reader won't know WHAT to feel about it!" It's not that I don't like hearing behind-the-scenes babble from the creators, I just like having the thing stand for itself and then CHOOSING whether or not to seek out other people's opinions. Call me a nutter.

So as I decide where to put my other prize (a giant glow-in-the-dark poster on awesomely thick card) I must say I don't regret following the competition through to the product and getting involved with it. It's a beautiful comic and I'm very happy to have read it. Although I'm also very much aware I'm not the only person who feels that way ;D

GrinningChimera

Quote from: Ancient Otter on 18 January, 2014, 07:21:56 PM
Please let us know about that, I was thinking of picking it up. I know Warren Ellis name dropped Greg Palast a few times, maybe as a influence on Spider Jerusalem as well?

Go out and buy it!! RIGHT NOW!!! No Spider Jerusalem influence here (apart from a search for truth) Bloody good book though. It will make you angry. Very very angry. Read it and open your eyes to the truth people!

mogzilla

just finished the thrud the barbarian collection and am settling down to spiderman blue
don't get into an argument with an idiot,he'll drag you down to his level then win with experience.

Mardroid

Identity Crisis
Dark, interesting, emotional detective story pretending to be a superhero yarn (although its not really pretending due to subject matter and exploring fears of bereavement due to their roles, etc). Pretty good stuff, although I know that scene pissed a couple people off on here.

Hawkmumbler

The rape scene? Come off it, it wasn't that gratuitous alls said and done. :|

sheldipez

Quote from: Mardroid on 23 January, 2014, 11:14:30 PM
Identity Crisis
Dark, interesting, emotional detective story pretending to be a superhero yarn (although its not really pretending due to subject matter and exploring fears of bereavement due to their roles, etc). Pretty good stuff, although I know that scene pissed a couple people off on here.

Identity Crisis is one of my favorite things in the comic medium, beautifully written and drawn (not usually a fan of Rag's stuff, but he pulled out all the stops for this).

Colin YNWA

Yeah I know Identity Crisis ruffles a few feathers but I think its really pretty good and enjoyed it a lot.

Theblazeuk

Beginning of the end.

[spoiler]
And if you ever read anything with Sue Dibney in or the Ray Palmer Atom, the 'reveal' is insulting and the motivations are asinine.[/spoiler]