Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Albion

The hardback collection of the Thunderbirds comics. Found it in a garden centre for £10.

Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side.

Mardroid

I'm reading two comic collections  with 'America' in the title. Judge Dredd: America and Captain America: The New Deal.

Both very different stories but having something in common. They both feature mature writing dealing with the American Dream or the loss of it. The first is a reread. The latter I'm reading for the first time and so far I'm liking it a lot although the patriotism is a bit heavy handed sometimes. Marvel dealing with 9/11. Brave of them.

So far I've found America the better read (some of the stuff in The New Deal reminds me of something from a Michael Bay film. Kinda cringey. ). Just finished the second story in the volume: Fading of the Light. Wow. Heart rending stuff. While I remember that last time, and I don't remembering it affecting me as much. Mind you, I seem to be getting more emotional as I get older. Big girls blouse that I am.

Theblazeuk

If you can ever pick up Uncle Sam, a vertigo comic about the camply patriotic superhero character in the real world, I'd recommend it. Not subtle but beautifully illustrated by Alex ross.

Hawkmumbler

Started on Age of Reptiles and honestly don't know what to make of it. On the one hand, it's a lovely drawn silent (sort of comic) and I love me some Dinosaurs. OTOH, it's not aged well. But I get the feeling it was never supposed to be a realistic depiction of Archosaurion life anyway.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 16 February, 2014, 04:36:33 PM
Started on Age of Reptiles and honestly don't know what to make of it. ...it's not aged well....

Well it has been tens of millions of years!

Hawkmumbler

ZenArcade

Hmmm, (he says stroking his chin in an irritating Mr Logic way from Viz), wasn't the K-T boundary 65 mya?
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Hawkmumbler

In rough numbers yes but the majority of Age of Reptiles is set 5 million years before then. Though this doesnt explain why we see Sauropods in a North American connifer forrest....during the late Cretacious.

ZenArcade

Yep, I read somewhere that dwarf sauropods lasted right to the end, and were fairly common through the Americas.

Hawkmumbler

Islend dwarf Titanosaurus in the fragmented European land mass maybe but in North America they where driven to extinction by over competition from grazers, predominently a dozen geni of Hadrosaur. I believe Alamosaurus was the only one and it only endured due to it's extreme size and (hypophesised) ruminent temprement.

ZenArcade

Think you're right, if memory serves that was an island somewhere near where Germany is now. It is a fascinating topic an  I had a fairly healthy interest in it a few years ago.

Apestrife

Quote from: Mardroid on 16 February, 2014, 12:19:21 PM
Just finished the second story in the volume: Fading of the Light. Wow. Heart rending stuff. While I remember that last time, and I don't remembering it affecting me as much. Mind you, I seem to be getting more emotional as I get older. Big girls blouse that I am.

i think fading the light is a bit undertated. while the concept behind Ami's birth is quite discusting, it somewhat feels logical to benny's cowardness and obsession of putting things right. it works since the book doesnt rationalise it. and it's ending is almost tear inducing, which cadet builds upon very nicely. just hope more will be done with judge beeny than being a judge who's good at her job.

Colin YNWA

And that little debate about the correctness or otherwise of the beasties shown in Age of Reptiles (which on a side note I personally absolutely love) Is exactly why I lacked the courage of my convictions and hedged me bets by saying tens of millions!

Hawkmumbler

Well there are many more inaccuracies to boot (Ceratopsians jousting is now largely considered dismissed outside of Triceratops). But I can over look the obvious (Therapoda had feathers dammit!) due to the age of the comic. It's a remarkable documentation of their life though that I find rather enjoyable.

ZenArcade

Haven't read it, sounds interesting, must look it up. Z