Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mardroid

Just started Planet Hulk. I meant to pick it up as part of the Marvel Ultimate GN collection where it appears as two volumes, and while part of me would love to own that version (they're lovely books) I opted for the paperback omnibus. So much cheaper. Still quite a bit more than I could have got it online, (I got this at my local Comic shop as a bit if a whim) but value nonetheless. Quite a heat volume.

Just started so it's too early to tell if it'll be an good. I read the follow up book (I think it was World War Hulk) which was interesting. The artwork is lovely so far though. I noticed this version of Hulk seems brighter and doesn't turn back into Banner although he still has his anger issues, and to put it mildly. Curious as to hiw/why that happened . No doubt the reason is given in a previous arc.

sheldipez

I think World War Hulk is a decent three star book, Planet Hulk is without a doubt a five star epic though! The paperback version is superior IMO, there's a whole lot of extras in there worth a look.

Quote from: Mardroid on 25 February, 2014, 09:55:04 PM
Just started so it's too early to tell if it'll be an good. I read the follow up book (I think it was World War Hulk) which was interesting. The artwork is lovely so far though. I noticed this version of Hulk seems brighter and doesn't turn back into Banner although he still has his anger issues, and to put it mildly. Curious as to hiw/why that happened . No doubt the reason is given in a previous arc.

I think some of the keeping in Hulk form is due to the rage felt by aftermath of prelude to Planet Hulk, the whole "here Hulk we need you go into space and fix this, oh wait no we don't we're blasting you off as you're too strong, bye!" pissed him off too much and even before being booted into space Banner wasn't in a good position, he was living in the middle of nowhere in his depressed state. The Hulk persona becomes dominant for this arc but does allow a certain character to "see" what he is inside but there's enough stuff throughout the entire Planet Hulk saga to keep Hulk permanently enraged.

The more intelligent Hulk is something that has been about for some years now and does continue after this arc to present; Hulk even goes far as to make a deal with Doom in Jason Aaron's run (before the current Indestructible Hulk Marvel NOW title) to split him from Banner (a nice role reversal).

Apestrife

Read The From Hell Companion by Eddie Campbell and Alan Moore last night. From Hell is one of my favourite books and it's companion is not only good with it but also on it's own. Love how Campbell discusses the scripts of Alan. A very good insight in how to create a story!

And this morning by the same Alan Moore and his pardn'r Kevin O'Neil Nemo: Roses of Berlin (Avaible on comixology now!). The story takes in place in Berlin where Jenny Nemo got some serious business to take care of, as in personal. Just as the first Nemo book it's a bit short, but I think it does a great job expanding on stuff mentioned in the previous LoEG books and of course/especially Nemo: Heart of ice, a book that almost left me speptical but Roses of Berlin not only makes it better it also left me wanting more! Looking forward to Nemo: Roses of Berlin as HC in April, League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: Century collected as HC this summer and Nemo: River of ghosts when it's finished  :)

Charlie boy

Just finished Sean Howe's Marvel Comics- The Untold Story. A fascinating little read on the ever rising and falling and rising and falling and rising of Marvel over the years, from origins to present with plenty on who was sniping for who during all the crucial events. Apparently Beach Boy Dennis Wilson was almost the first onscreen Silver Surfer!

pictsy

I recently purchased Hellblazer - Original Sins and started reading it - taking a break from my big re-read of my 2000AD collection.  So far I am enjoying it.

I also recently purchased the first volume TP of Alan Moore's Swamp Thing, several of Alan Grant's run on DC's The Demon and some of Dark Horse's Terminator comics from the early 90's.  Really excited about all these purchases.

Alongside these I am still reading Dune Messiah intermittently - a chapter here and there when I have the time.

jackstarr

QuoteI recently purchased Hellblazer - Original Sins and started reading it - taking a break from my big re-read of my 2000AD collection.  So far I am enjoying it.
Which version of Original Sins do you have?
The original release only collected #1-9, which ends on a cliffhanger (resolved in Swamp Thing) - whereas the more recent edition collects Hellblazer #1-9, Swamp Thing #76 and #77, and finishes with Hellblazer #10 - a much more satisfying conclusion!

von Boom

Quote from: pictsy on 06 March, 2014, 06:47:43 PM

Alongside these I am still reading Dune Messiah intermittently - a chapter here and there when I have the time.

Me too. I'm about half way through. I've not read it in a few years and I'm really enjoying it again.

Mabs

Quote from: Apestrife on 28 February, 2014, 06:41:03 AM
Read The From Hell Companion by Eddie Campbell and Alan Moore last night. From Hell is one of my favourite books and it's companion is not only good with it but also on it's own. Love how Campbell discusses the scripts of Alan. A very good insight in how to create a story!

And this morning by the same Alan Moore and his pardn'r Kevin O'Neil Nemo: Roses of Berlin (Avaible on comixology now!). The story takes in place in Berlin where Jenny Nemo got some serious business to take care of, as in personal. Just as the first Nemo book it's a bit short, but I think it does a great job expanding on stuff mentioned in the previous LoEG books and of course/especially Nemo: Heart of ice, a book that almost left me speptical but Roses of Berlin not only makes it better it also left me wanting more! Looking forward to Nemo: Roses of Berlin as HC in April, League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: Century collected as HC this summer and Nemo: River of ghosts when it's finished  :)

Roses of Berlin is out already on Comixology? Wow. I'm going to resist the urge though and wait for the hardcover. The last one (Heart of Ice) was a lovely piece of work and a handsome hardcover, so that's my wisdom behind waiting for it!  ;)

As for my reads, War Stories Vol. 1 by  Garth Ennis. So far so very captivating, with some great artwork from 2000AD veterans such as Gibbons, Weston and Higgins.

My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

TordelBack

Quote from: Mabs on 06 March, 2014, 08:29:43 PMWow. I'm going to resist the urge though and wait for the hardcover. The last one (Heart of Ice) was a lovely piece of work and a handsome hardcover, so that's my wisdom behind waiting for it!  ;)

Testify.

Mardroid

I recently downloaded the collections of League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: Century and the two Nimo books from Comixology when I saw how cheap they were.  I've yet to read the Nimo books but I'm quite enjoying Century so far (coming near the end of the the 1960s book at the moment.) But the amount of sex an nudity is kinda ridiculous ! I'm not complaining at how explicit it is just the Shere amount is really daft.

Fungus

A prog slog, among other (Image, IDW, etc) things.

So that means - kind of arbitrarily - 700-962. But also prog 1000, sealed (it's bagged) and unread  :o
Currently at 743. My feeling is I stopped reading the prog around 800 but it's clear now I'll just never know. Progs beyond 830-ish, came as a surprise  :)

I see Millar's name taken in vain here a fair bit. Not so much Fleischer, but his stuff is sub-face-palming. This won't be news of course, but it's where I'm at and I'm slightly incredulous he seemed to write several runs of things. No-one cared?! No-one available?

pictsy

Quote from: jackstarr on 06 March, 2014, 07:14:54 PM
QuoteI recently purchased Hellblazer - Original Sins and started reading it - taking a break from my big re-read of my 2000AD collection.  So far I am enjoying it.
The original release only collected #1-9, which ends on a cliffhanger (resolved in Swamp Thing) - whereas the more recent edition collects Hellblazer #1-9, Swamp Thing #76 and #77, and finishes with Hellblazer #10 - a much more satisfying conclusion!

I got the original release.  I thought the ones included in the new volume were the stories where Alan Moore introduced the character in Swamp Thing and as I am collecting Swamp Thing I thought that would be a bad idea.  Seems the product synopsis wasn't at all clear to me on amazon.  Nevermind.

Apestrife

Quote from: Mardroid on 06 March, 2014, 10:51:21 PM
I recently downloaded the collections of League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: Century and the two Nimo books from Comixology when I saw how cheap they were.  I've yet to read the Nimo books but I'm quite enjoying Century so far (coming near the end of the the 1960s book at the moment.) But the amount of sex an nudity is kinda ridiculous ! I'm not complaining at how explicit it is just the Shere amount is really daft.

While each one of the Loeg has some sexness (which I certainly don't mind) in them, I feel Black Dossier and Century overdid it at times. But I believe Nemo is a back to form when it comes to that! Less nekked and more adventure.

That said. Can't wait for the Century collected in HC this summer  :)!

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: pictsy on 07 March, 2014, 12:19:13 AM

I got the original release.  I thought the ones included in the new volume were the stories where Alan Moore introduced the character in Swamp Thing and as I am collecting Swamp Thing I thought that would be a bad idea.  Seems the product synopsis wasn't at all clear to me on amazon.  Nevermind.
Im currently woeking my wayt hrough both Saga of Swampy and Hellblazer. I opted for the more recent edition however, if not simply for a more coherrent self contained read.

I, Cosh

QuoteI recently purchased Hellblazer - Original Sins and started reading it
Ha! I always felt like there was an issue missing somewhere. Thanks for that.
We never really die.