Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dandontdare

Quote from: Muscleman on 02 November, 2014, 07:06:35 PM
Have you guys encountered any of Joe Sacco's works before? I've always been familiar with his name but had yet to read any of his books. Thankfully that all changed yesterday when I popped into my library with my boy and found not one, but two of his books on display; Palestine and Safe Area Gorazde. Just in the process of reading them both so I'll let you know how it goes.

Sacco is one of those creators that I like the idea of more than the reality - I actually find most of his books much less gripping than I expected once I get into them

Mabs

Well so far I'm enjoying both books! I started on Palestine but couldn't resist having a little read on Safe Area Gorazde too, especially after PreacherCain's comments. I feel his artwork is perhaps more accesible in Safe Area, than in Palestine. I just love this panel here...

:lol:
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Mabs

Sorry, that came out a little large...

There's a panel just up next which shows the boy giving gifts to the adults, ie, just bits and bobs which have no significance to anyone but to him, it's probably all he has. And it shows the people who have suffered so much during the war in Bosnia, still have the desire to entertain guests and hold on to life no matter what it throws at them. I think it's a powerful panel.
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

von Boom

If you like Banks' Culture series, here is a previously unpublished interview about The Culture:

http://strangehorizons.com/2014/20141103/1banks-a.shtml

TordelBack

Great stuff, von Boom, if bittersweet.  For a moment there it almost felt like he was still with us.

von Boom

Stop that TB. Is that someone cutting onions?

I, Cosh

Reveled in Kurt Vonnegut's Cat's Cradle the other day. I've not read much of his stuff but enjoyed what I have. This was a refreshingly short and crisp read with an impassioned sense of outrage which made a real impact on me. It's at least as much of an anti-war book as All Quiet on the Western Front, if a rather dafter one. I'm guessing this is a recurring theme.

As Remembrance Sunday rolled around again, I found myself reading over and over the passage set at a comically underwhelming miltary parade which concludes "Perhaps, when we remember wars, we should take off our clothes and paint ourselves blue and go on all fours all day long and grunt like pigs. That would surely be more appropriate than noble oratory and shows of flags and well-oiled guns."

One very minor thing I was intrigued by was it's branding as Penguin Science Fiction. What makes something sci-fi? Intention or perception or just marketing? Sure, there's a technological McGuffin at the heart of the book but it seems to me to be much more of an absurdist comedy in the vein of Flann O'Brien or Spike Milligan than anything else.

Great stuff. I seek more.
We never really die.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: The Cosh on 12 November, 2014, 10:37:37 PMIt's at least as much of an anti-war book as All Quiet on the Western Front, if a rather dafter one. I'm guessing this is a recurring theme.

It certainly is - just a genius - probably my favourite author. Great book and I can't recommend diving into all his stuff enough.

I, Cosh

Wrote all that guff and forgot to mention the protagonist's abortive sci-fi novel called 2000AD. What are the chances?
Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 13 November, 2014, 06:13:50 AM
Quote from: The Cosh on 12 November, 2014, 10:37:37 PMIt's at least as much of an anti-war book as All Quiet on the Western Front, if a rather dafter one. I'm guessing this is a recurring theme.
It certainly is - just a genius - probably my favourite author. Great book and I can't recommend diving into all his stuff enough.
Good to hear. Any particular recommendations? I think I've already read Slaughterhouse Five and Sirens of Titan.
We never really die.

Colin YNWA

Well like many things my fav doesn't necessarily correspond to popular opinion. I'm a big big fan of 'Dead Eye Dick'. 'Breakfast of Champions' though is deservedly considered his classic generally (I think) and is very very good as well.

To be honest my answer would head towards one of those naff, oh but they are all brilliant type things but if I was going to pick two it'd be those.

Theblazeuk

El Chivo

Peter Panzerfaust Peter Pan in a WW2 setting, really good on the second collection now

Before Watchmen: Nite Owl/Dr. Manhattan really cool follow-up(before? whatever) to Al & Dave's opus, with some jaw-droppingly beautiful art by Adam Hughes

Cheers

Chi

ps Mad props to Cambs Libraries for getting this stuff in, aswell as your usual run-of-the-mill superhero fare

SuperSurfer

Aterlife with Archie. Wasn't quite sure if it's an anthology of original or reprint material. Turns out it's both. Only read the lead strip which has just about everything I like in a comic. A good pulpy, light read (Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa) which fantastic loose art (Francesco Francavilla), great colouring, nice paper. From the Vault are three long lost 70s strips. I think this comic was made for me.

Link Prime

Afterlife is currently my favourite comic after The Prog 'Surfer.
I'd also recommend Aguirre-Sacasa's other Archie horror book; Sabrina. 1st issue was flawless.

Daveycandlish

Just bought the new Grandville book by Bryan Talbot. As soon as I get home it'll be eyes down for a good read.
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!