Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: TordelBack on 13 January, 2015, 12:07:21 PM
Quote from: ThryllSeekyr on 13 January, 2015, 12:02:33 PM
Damn I dropped one of my copies of The Hobbit on the blade of my axe.....

Careful you don't end up with The Bobbit,
I was going to reply with I have "The Soddit" (True, it's another book I own a parody of the other original work of J.R.R.R.Tolkien!), book I ...when the true meaning of the word "Bobbit" sunk in..... :o

I have pants on and I careful to walk around my sharps so carefully....... so as to not slip and fall on it myself.

BTW how do you remove soft drink stains from the edge of my blade......

Fungus

Refer to the Troubleshooting section of the manual.

Colin YNWA

Just finished reading Kyle Baker's Plastic Man series from DC (almost 10 years old now) and my oh my that was a whole heap of fun. Very rarely do I laugh out loud at comics but this one got me several times. The best loonie tune cartoon I've ever read, but built around solid characters and gteat stories. Really is quite beautiful to look at too. Can't recommend it highly enough.

Spikes

Finally got round to 2312 by Kim Stanley Robinson in my reading pile.

Loved it. Absolutely loved it.
It's been out a couple of years now, so other's may already be more familiar with it, but this was my first encounter with Robinson's work, and im left wanting more.

At 561 pages long, it's not a skinny thing , though I was averaging about a hundred plus pages a night, and it was all over way too soon. A lot to take in at times, but a book I think ill be returning to.

Looking online, it would seem that Kim is not thinking about revisiting this particular set of main characters again, which on one hand is a shame, but I also quite like the idea that this is a standalone novel.

Highly recommended.

Mabs

https://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/2015/01/14/double-review-seeds-strange-skies-by-iqbal-ali/

It's always a pleasure discovering a new writer/ artists in the Indie comic scene, especially one whose stories are inspired by writers as Lovecraft , and shows such as The Twilight  Zone. Ladies and gentleperps , I give you Iqbal Ali; British  comic creator whose works, 'Seeds' and 'Strange Skies' were an absolute pleasure to read! I think fans of our very own Terror Tales and Tharg's 3rillers will enjoy his work!
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

radiator

Finally getting round to reading Alan Moore's Miracleman. First book's a little rough and wasn't sure i was really enjoying it, but onto book two now and it's starting to get more interesting.

Delighted to have a substantial body of Moore superhero 1980s stuff to read!

Link Prime

Quote from: radiator on 16 January, 2015, 04:27:29 PM
Finally getting round to reading Alan Moore's Miracleman.

Did you buy the collected editions Rad?
Just wondering what they're like, I've been (regretfully) getting the floppies.
Terrible value, but I'm enjoying reading it nevertheless- hadn't read the majority of it before, almost all new Moore for me.

radiator

Got the first two hardbacks, yes.

A bit miffed that about 40% of the page count of each book is taken up with 'bonus material' - text stuff, sketches, covers, original pencils etc etc.

Yeah it's nice to have a bit of that stuff but it's frankly deranged overkill in this case.

Colin YNWA

I'm staying strong on Miracleman until Marvel stop taking the piss milking it. I get that they're a company and so need to make the most out of what they have but the Miracleman stuff was too much. I read it all as a kid and I'm looking forward to doing so again but I'm happy to wait until they release it in a reasonable package. I'm sure they will... one day...

Skullmo

At the moment I am reading:

Two Towers J. R. R. Tolkien (for the first time) - absolutely love it
Judaism a very short introduction by Norman Solomon
Blake by Peter Ackroyd
Into the Night Volume 1
From Hell
and I read the first Mega collection (America) today. I was worried that it wouldn't be as good as I remembered, but it was amazing. I had never read America 3, and America 2 was a lot better than i remember it being.
It's a joke. I was joking.

TordelBack

Judaism... Blake... From Hell... Nicely themed reading pile there, Skullmo!

shaolin_monkey

Off the back of the Cam Kennedy thread I picked up 'The Art of Kenny Who?'.  There's so much great stuff in there I hadn't read before, which I must have missed during my 'girlfriend hates comics 'cos they're childish' phase of my life. Thoroughly enjoying it!!

I also started a reread of HG Wells's 'The Time Machine' via the medium of a bedtime story for my 8 year old. She is grasping the concepts once I explain the big words to her, and we're getting excited about what stories the Time Traveller will tell of his travels! It's been decades since I last read it, and it seems so fresh!

TordelBack

There's a proper education - well done Shaolin Monkey!  Bedtime story for the 8 yr old in our house is presently Lloyd Alexander's Chronicles of Prydain, which I adored as a kid but haven't glanced at since.  It's brilliant stuff for reading aloud, lovely short chapters with cliffhanger endings. Surprised how grim the first book is (I know the later ones are), with wickerman sacrifices (well, wickerbaskets) and whip-wielding zombies. Only knowing Disney's version of The Black Cauldron the Boy was well impressed.

Link Prime

Quote from: radiator on 16 January, 2015, 07:37:15 PM
Got the first two hardbacks, yes.

A bit miffed that about 40% of the page count of each book is taken up with 'bonus material' - text stuff, sketches, covers, original pencils etc etc.

Yeah it's nice to have a bit of that stuff but it's frankly deranged overkill in this case.

At least you don't have to put up with the completely unnecessary Mick Anglo Marvelman reprints.

I've definitely made an error here, getting the floppies.
They're a fiver a pop- a complete rip off.

The hardbacks were initially pricey too, but there are some very reasonable prices on Amazon now;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/0785154620/ref=sr_1_2_twi_1_olp?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1421671769&sr=1-2&keywords=miracleman

I may as well finish the Moore stuff in the same format now, but will wait for the collections for all further material.

Hawkmumbler

About to make a start on the first four volumes of Charleys War. I'm prepairing myself in the event I might start tearing up.