Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

You're spot on there Preacher, but with From Hell I still suffer from guilt that I'm enjoying the circus every bit as much as the parasitic proto-tabloid/rolling news audience. And this entertainment exists because of the murders of real highly marginalised people.

PreacherCain

Quote from: TordelBack on 02 February, 2015, 10:42:47 AM
You're spot on there Preacher, but with From Hell I still suffer from guilt that I'm enjoying the circus every bit as much as the parasitic proto-tabloid/rolling news audience. And this entertainment exists because of the murders of real highly marginalised people.

I think that lurid fascination with death is inside everyone but it's definitely true that it comes out stronger in people when the victims are from marginalised sections of society. As long as it's happening to 'them' and not 'us'. Moore definitely plays around with that idea; the fact that you are at least aware of it and feel guilty about it probably puts you a rung above those tabloiders though  :D

Grugz

well, I just finished spawn #250 and am glad to see the [spoiler]back of jim downing who gets sucked into the earth in the dead zone [/spoiler] and the much advertised return of Al Simmons is ok but will presumably pick up in the next few issues with a new creative team and less muddy artwork.
don't get into an argument with an idiot,he'll drag you down to his level then win with experience!

http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php/topic,26167.0.html

Theblazeuk

Jesus, Spawn is *still* going?!?

I'm finishing off Guy Adam's Good, Bad and the Weird trilogy. Entertaining throughout if a little baggy in all corners.

Hawkmumbler

Just nabbed a library copy of Will Eisner's Last Day in Vietnam. My first exposure to any Eisner material (yes, i've never read The Spirit) so should be an interesting reading experience.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 04 February, 2015, 10:09:18 AM
Just nabbed a library copy of Will Eisner's Last Day in Vietnam. My first exposure to any Eisner material (yes, i've never read The Spirit) so should be an interesting reading experience.

Well hopefully you'll enjoy Eisner as much as I do, though to my shame I'm still to read 'Last Day in Vietnam'. If so there's a wealth of fantastic stuff out there. Though again I must confess as much as I love his later 'more mature' work and graphic novels 'The Spirit' for me is the highlight of his career. Its just magnificent.

Grugz

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 04 February, 2015, 10:07:08 AM
Jesus, Spawn is *still* going?!?

I'm finishing off Guy Adam's Good, Bad and the Weird trilogy. Entertaining throughout if a little baggy in all corners.

wasn't a fan of jim downing but with the return of al I'm hoping for more of a return to the series' roots
don't get into an argument with an idiot,he'll drag you down to his level then win with experience!

http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php/topic,26167.0.html

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 04 February, 2015, 10:53:40 AM

Well hopefully you'll enjoy Eisner as much as I do, though to my shame I'm still to read 'Last Day in Vietnam'. If so there's a wealth of fantastic stuff out there. Though again I must confess as much as I love his later 'more mature' work and graphic novels 'The Spirit' for me is the highlight of his career. Its just magnificent.
Well, just finished it. Read one chapter every couple of hours and it's only a light 76 pages. It was pretty good and the endings to many stories was very zen, and Eisners brand of humour was quite pleasent. Honestly though, I don't have much to comment on as it's such a thin volume. It's nice, the art is minimalistic but, still, very nice. I might be interested in investigating more of W.E.'s work in future....

Jacqusie

Just starting Major Eazy  Heart of Iron (Titan)

I like the Cursed Earth Koburn character based on him (well on James Coburn) so should be good to go back to the early days)  :)

Dandontdare

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 04 February, 2015, 10:53:40 AM

By coincidence I just read Eisner's The Name of the Game, my first Eisner - a generation spanning tale of Jewish immigrant families in New York. Wonderful stuff.

Max Headroom

Just finished reading the first of the five new printings of Vertigo's 'Lucifer' and found it most enjoyable. In my opinion, Mike Carey's writing (so far) on this surpasses what he achieved with Hellblazer. One thing I find slightly puzzling though is where Lucifer Morningstar sits in relation to the First Of the Fallen in 'Hellblazer' as both are supposed to be of the same continuity and universe. Who is the one true Devil? Perhaps someone more learned than I can explain?

Famous Mortimer

David Lee Roth's autobiography.

Everyone needs some fluff sometimes, I don't care for the man's music particularly but he seems like a fun chap.

Theblazeuk

Quote from: Max Headroom on 08 February, 2015, 07:47:17 AM
Just finished reading the first of the five new printings of Vertigo's 'Lucifer' and found it most enjoyable. In my opinion, Mike Carey's writing (so far) on this surpasses what he achieved with Hellblazer. One thing I find slightly puzzling though is where Lucifer Morningstar sits in relation to the First Of the Fallen in 'Hellblazer' as both are supposed to be of the same continuity and universe. Who is the one true Devil? Perhaps someone more learned than I can explain?

It's explained slightly in Dangerous Habits; Satan was the First, he was already waiting when the Morningstar fell. He isn't a fallen angel, he's his very own thing entirely. When Lucifer left hell, it fell to the First and the other two arch-devils, all supposedly in balance with each other under the supervision of the angels. However continuity quickly becomes meaningless in Vertigo after some time, as sort of befits god-like powers and avatars of reality itself. Certainly Lucifer leaves behind what might be the DCU in short order, and Constantine/Swamp Thing only interact with Vertigo-versions of DCU characters after a certain point.

TordelBack

This reminds me of some recent re-reading: there are further explicit links between the regular pre-Nu52 DCU supers and the Vertigo supernatural folk from the interesting short 'Heart of a Star' in Sandman: Endless Nights where we see the critical role of the Endless in the creation of Krypton (the first Despair), the power of the green lanterns on Oa (Dream's ex-lover Killalla) and, peripherally relevant, all life on Earth (Dream).  And that's from 2003.  So while John's world ostensibly starts to diverge from doings of the spandex brigade sometime after Swampy's funeral in Gotham in 1986, shifting into 'real' time in the 'real' world sometime after the crossover flurry of 1989/90, other parts of Vertigo continue to emphasise that it's all aspects of the same big cosmological smorgasbord.

JPMaybe

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 08 February, 2015, 01:06:44 PM
Quote from: Max Headroom on 08 February, 2015, 07:47:17 AM

It's explained slightly in Dangerous Habits; Satan was the First, he was already waiting when the Morningstar fell. He isn't a fallen angel, he's his very own thing entirely. When Lucifer left hell, it fell to the First and the other two arch-devils, all supposedly in balance with each other under the supervision of the angels. However continuity quickly becomes meaningless in Vertigo after some time, as sort of befits god-like powers and avatars of reality itself. Certainly Lucifer leaves behind what might be the DCU in short order, and Constantine/Swamp Thing only interact with Vertigo-versions of DCU characters after a certain point.

The  continuity is buggered right from the start I think- at no point in Season of Mists does anyone say anything about Ennis' Fallen, and at no point in Ennis' Hellblazer run is the First of the Fallen anything less than the devil himself and ruler of hell, and Dumas and Remiel aren't mentioned, let alone said to actually be in charge.  I think Carey attempted some sort of explanatory retcon in his own Hellblazer run, but I can't remember it particularly making sense.
Quote from: Butch on 17 January, 2015, 04:47:33 PM
Judge Death is a serial killer who got turned into a zombie when he met two witches in the woods one day...Judge Death is his real name.
-Butch on Judge Death's powers of helmet generation