Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dandontdare

Quote from: Apestrife on 02 June, 2016, 06:22:25 PM
Hellboy in hell #10.

Really really liked this one. Beautiful. The sort of send off (that perhaps isn't one?) that I wouldn't mind if Dredd got one day.

Apparently so: https://www.theguardian.com/books/2016/may/30/mike-mignola-final-hellboy-comic-paint-watercolors

von Boom

I recently received a subscription to Marvel Unlimited as a gift and have started reading Spider-Man, Iron-Man, Daredevil, and many others from the beginning.

Tiplodocus

I finished STALINGRAD.  What a magnificent book about an appalling bit of history.

After reading what went on, I'd actually be quite down on the human race if it wasn't for this one sentence on page 362 when the Sixth Army is surrounded, cut off and all hopes of "rescue" have been given up.  There are emergency airlift flights operating out of the Kessel...

"Of the 600 doctors with the Sixth Army, none capable of working flew out".
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Fungus

Concerted effort recently to clear the backlog. So.....

Multiversity
High hopes for this, but I think you need to be in thrall to superheroics to care sufficiently...? You like superheroes, well we have loads, and look, more over there. They're slightly different. But.... oh, well. The Nazi and Quitely issues entertained but I felt underwhelmed by the rest. Al Ewing's 'Best Thing I Read This  (Last?) Year' (from ThoughtBubble), I wanted to enjoy this more. I'm sure it's cleverer than this in ways that I don't care about.

Descender
Remains on the list though initial charm is on the wane. Just love the watercolour seep of it all. Which naturally will be lost when it's filmed  :| That may leave a soppy tale, in the end. A decent effort to emulate...
Saga
Utterly filthy as usual, and remains class. Best covers in comics I'd say.

Hawkeye
Another LeMire, bit of a mess with 2 kind-of reboot first issues and an apologetic sign-off editorial as it wrapped up. Mixture of art styles was a plus, but was following Fraction/Aja worth it?

Vision
Domestic (!), considered, just wonderful. Even thought-provoking. Precision art that works perfectly.

Sheriff of Babylon
Reads like Homeland in comic form, and each issue is nicely self-contained. Tom King (see Vision also) yet to write a dud as far as I'm concerned.

The Goddamned
A very Image comic and beautiful European art. If you know what I mean.

Karnak
A brooding oddity, and perhaps it's routine Ellis, I wouldn't know. Reads very quickly but I'm enjoying the ride.

Low
They've reached the surface of the planet and I don't know if I'll be reaching the end on this one. Can feel very soapish and preachy (see also: Black Science) but the art often saves it. We'll see. When good, it's been fantastic.

Doctor Strange
Intricate art here to the point it interrupts the story. A simple tale - sometimes affectingly told - so the art can be lingered over without derailing the story. Bachalo is tremendous, and spends the issue showing off. Feels slightly Sandman: Overture in design and content. Probably a rubbish comparison.

Fuse
If you like Brink, read the original (only joking). Recommended.

ODY-C
What a treat of a book. Don't get hung up on the allusions, lick the artwork and enjoy Fraction's deliberate prose. Wonderful.

Pencil Head
It's Ted McKeever. But autobiographical bonkers-ness. Quite good.

Red Thorn
I should like this but a real chore, give it a shot for several issues. Dropped! Written for teenage girls, from what I can make out. Hm.

Unfollow
As good as people say it is, if you don't read it, pick up a trade. Another one being filmed and in whatever format, you can see this being huge.

The Ultimates
Mainly for the art, this one. Al Ewing makes a good fist of the super-science nonsense but that's not enough to hold me. The art does that - lovely.

Providence
Not up on my Lovecraft and never expected to say this, but I may give it a try. The art can seem uninspiring but perfect within the same issue, I'm not a great fan of it. But the writing is as accomplished as ever.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Fungus on 03 June, 2016, 01:04:19 PM

Unfollow
As good as people say it is, if you don't read it, pick up a trade. Another one being filmed and in whatever format, you can see this being huge.

Glad you are enjoying it. So its becoming a movie - phew that gives me hope it'll be around long enough to tell its tale. After all when FBP was optioned they gave it 20 odd issues despite horrible sales.

Fungus

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 03 June, 2016, 08:46:11 PM
Quote from: Fungus on 03 June, 2016, 01:04:19 PM

Unfollow

Glad you are enjoying it. So its becoming a movie - phew that gives me hope it'll be around long enough to tell its tale. After all when FBP was optioned they gave it 20 odd issues despite horrible sales.

Well to be clear it was the old news (6 months ago) that a TV series was being developed. Don't quote me! Mr Soap knows about these things, mind you  :)

The Legendary Shark

Just finished C. S. Lewis's science fiction trilogy; Out of the Silent Planet, Perelandra and That Hideous Strength. I never liked the Narnia books but these were very good - especially the last one, which I thought was superb. They'd make crap films, though, I think.

The first two are ostensibly simple stories concerning the travels of one Dr Ransom to Mars and Venus respectively but serve to lay down a fascinating mythology which acts as a foundation for That Hideous Strength. There is a hint of John Carter about the first two, but only a hint, and they are quite unique in character and imagination (at least in my limited reading experience). The third book is of a completely different character which I can only describe as H.P. Lovecraft's version of 1984.

I availed myself of the unabridged audiobook versions, which I listened to mainly whilst driving, and enjoyed them so much that I'm listening to them again.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

TordelBack

They certainly are the shizzle. Although I haven't read them since I was 11 or 12, the images seem fresh in my my mind.

Hawkmumbler

I've decided to make a third and final attempt to read Frank Herberts DUNE, if I doze off again this time then i'll call it a day and just consider it profoundly boring!

von Boom

Dune is my favourite book, however, it is very dense and not everyone's cuppa. If you don't like it, you don't like it. Move on as there are many other equally great sci-fi novels. :)

The Adventurer

To like Dune, you gotta be into Politics and Religion bullshit in a science fiction context.

And stop at Children of Dune

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Tjm86

I have to admit to a lot of love for Dune.  I've recently reread it after 30 odd years and thoroughly enjoyed it again.  There are some great ideas in it; ecology, eugenics, destiny vs free will.  As Adventurer says, it helps to like your Sci Fi with a political (not so sure about religious but I see the point as there is a lot there, I just see it as political in the context of the novel) slant.

As von Boom says, there is plenty else out there that is enjoyable.  It is not sacrilege to not enjoy it.  (just be prepared for excommunication!)  ;)

The Adventurer

Quote from: Tjm86 on 07 June, 2016, 05:13:11 AM(not so sure about religious but I see the point as there is a lot there, I just see it as political in the context of the novel)

Fair enough. I suppose what I mean to say is, you gotta be on board for some Space Feudalism

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Dark Jimbo

Funnily enough I read Dune for the first time a few months ago - only reason I didn't review it here was that I struggled to say anything about it without writing an essay! There is just so much going on, and so much to think about afterwards - my head was in a whirl for days.

I struggled initially, I have to admit. Didn't much like the prose style, and there were a lot of narrative pet hates in evidence (primarily skipping constantly between different character's thoughts/pov mid-scene and mid-chapter); and although there was an awful lot of stuff happening, it seemed to be taking an age to get to the meat of the story. I was enjoying it well enough but not hugely engaged up until [spoiler]the Baron's assault on the Atreides[/spoiler], when absolutely everything gets turned on its head and the narrative just explodes into action. I was utterly hooked from that point on, right up to the end, and I'll definately be back for parts II and III of the initial trilogy.

There's certainly nothing else quite like it!
@jamesfeistdraws

Michael Knight

Just finished the 'Abnett' Droids 'Wilds End - the enemy within'. Really enjoyed this series as much as the first. would love to see a continuation.  :)