Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mute77

Aah, I didn't realise that it was a mini series-will check it out still, cheers.

Michael Knight

Half Past Danger by Stephen Mooney!
Great graphic novel crossing Indiana Jones, The Dirty Dozen and The Land that time forgot! Awesome stuff! A sequel in the works!  :)

O Lucky Stevie!

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 13 October, 2016, 09:29:10 PM
Quote from: Mute77 on 13 October, 2016, 08:47:14 PM...
Also enjoying Warren Ellis run on bond..6 issues in a nifty hardcover. Apparently this version is closer to Ian Flemingston books than the films. Recommended!

Yeah Ellis' Bond is quite superb. Not quite sure how close to the original it is (only ever read one Bond book) but its certainly working.

Seconded with both hands up well & truly in the air on that one. Mad to think that Dynamite turned down Fay Dalton as artist for this title, isn't it?  Jason Master's art does the job that is required of it; but one does get the feeling that despite his never actually seen a human being he has read a Sean Phillips comic or two.
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

Colin YNWA

Quote from: O Lucky Stevie! on 14 October, 2016, 09:18:16 AM
Quote from: Colin YNWA on 13 October, 2016, 09:29:10 PM
Quote from: Mute77 on 13 October, 2016, 08:47:14 PM...
Also enjoying Warren Ellis run on bond..6 issues in a nifty hardcover. Apparently this version is closer to Ian Flemingston books than the films. Recommended!

Yeah Ellis' Bond is quite superb. Not quite sure how close to the original it is (only ever read one Bond book) but its certainly working.

Seconded with both hands up well & truly in the air on that one. Mad to think that Dynamite turned down Fay Dalton as artist for this title, isn't it?  Jason Master's art does the job that is required of it; but one does get the feeling that despite his never actually seen a human being he has read a Sean Phillips comic or two.

Ha! While I get on with Jason Master's art just fine your description is a pretty damned good one. Would have loved to have seen Fay Dalton art duties.

Colin YNWA

Well Pete Milligan and Duncan Freredo's Enigma has finally got to the top of my reading pile. I'd had about half of this from back in the day, but it was right at the end of my comic reading days (or so I thought then!) and so I'd barely paid it any attention. I've heard a couple if people rave about it here and so have been looking forward to giving it the attention it seemed to deserve... and boy does it. Its a fantastic examination of, well its Pete Milligan so it identity but with lashing of sexual exploration and awakings. Its fairly typically early Vertigo, but that's hardly a problem. Fittingly it has a wonderfully enigmatic ending which I really loved.

I struggle a little with Duncan Fregado's art when looking through, but when sat down to read it fittingly reveals a completely different side and is deceptively easy on the eye. I'm not a big fan of the colouring which I think drowns the art but I became used to it and was able to my misgivings aside.

So yeah it had a lot to live up to and to but managed it with some aplomb. See what all the fuss you lot (well two I can think of at least) have been making about this. Great comics.

Fungus

Enigma - from memory at least - is tremendous. Fegredo is a favourite artist, had him sign an MPH in Leeds last week. Didn't mention Enigma but there was a half-spirited defence of Millar and his recent work. MPH is a great read, not just for the usual *stunning* Fegredo dynamic art.

Smith

MPH was okay.But thats kinda it IMO.Its just okay.

Colin YNWA

Over the last few nights I've re-read Six-Gun Gorilla by Si Spurrier and Jeff Stokely. I raved about this when it came out and on re-read... well its even better.

I'm a sucker for a story about story and this is one of the finest, well it does have a giant anthropmorphic gun totting ape in it.

Seriously if you've not read this and you enjoy comics treat yourself and go get it!

edgeworthy

Trudging through the latest David Weber.
"Shadow of Victory" ... it is by far the most disappointing thing he has ever written.

Spikes

The Ballad of Halo Jones.

Inspired by Dr Clarke's wonderful recent podcast, I had dug out the progs for a much needed re-read (Like another old favourite Skizz, I cant actually remember the last time I did sit down and give this tale a proper re-read)

So a start was made, but then the lovely TITAN books (all three..) popped up on eBay, and I managed to snag them for peanuts really.

So, now the re-read can be completed in real style.

I stopped reading the prog about 3 or 4 months prior to Halo making her debut, and I think my first encounter with her may well have been via someone's loaned TITAN collection a good number years after the fact. So I've come full circle with these.

Funny though, as I never caught Halo from it's debut, and thus missed that initial connection, a small part of me always felt a distance from the tale. As if somehow, this tale belonged to others, and not me.

Ridiculous really, as it's all kinds of wonderful. As indeed are the old TITAN books.

Now to re-read Skizz again at some point. A tale I did catch first time around.

The Adventurer

Picked up a bunch of stuff via various Black Friday sales...

Doom Patrol 2 (Young Animal) - Not read yet, art is georgeous. Holy shit.
Shade the Changing Girl 1 (Young Animal) -  Crazy, insane, baffling. I like them weird, but this one might be toooooo weird for me.
Cave Carlson has a Cybernetic Eye 1 (Young Animal) - Not as good as id hoped. I like the idea of digging up these obscure silver age science heroes, but the first issue wasn't super interesting. Was actually surprised to see Omeing on primary art duties, solid as always.
Fables Everafter 2 (Vertigo) - not read yet
Rumble Vol. 1 (Image) - Only read first issue so far. Excellent fantasy action story so far.
America vs the Justice Society GN (DC) - Classic end of Bronze Age JSA tale by Roy Thomas. Only two parts of four in so far, and its mostly the JSA going over thier history in a court room setting, but it's surprisingly riveting. I'll probably use this as a jumping off point to explore more silver age Earth 2 material.
Battleworld Krovak Saga 1-4 (Marvel) - I bought these in the Secet Wars sale because I thought they might follow the storyline left open in Gurdians 3000. I haven't read any other Secret Wars titles up till now. Mostly i was disapointed because it wasn't the follow up I was looking for. But it was well written by Dan Abnett anyway. Didn't t really make me want to go out and read more Secret Wars though.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

The Adventurer

Oh yeah, I also bought the first 6 issues of Alien Legion. Gotta see what that's all about.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Smith

Alien Legion starts a bit slow,but once it gets going...It gets going.

Tjm86

I've always had a lot of love for Alien Legion.  Stroman's art is first rate and the storytelling is quality.  Its one of those ones that has been around for ages but everyone seems to ignore.  Criminally underrated.  Between the two main series, the graphic novels, one shots and mini series there's quite a bit out there.  Dark Horse did Omnibii a few years ago for the two main series and Titan got in on the act, reprinting McMahon's Jugger Grimwood one shot as Part of Tenants of Hell.  Well worth a look.

Apestrife

Hard boiled by Frank Miller and Geof Darrow.

Quite mental. Beautiful to look at. Reads like one long massive car crash where bodies explodes and causes even more cars to slide and crash and then bodies explodes...

Really liked it.