Main Menu

Marvel classics at The Works

Started by Spaceghost, 07 September, 2011, 09:03:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spaceghost

Howdy. Just a heads up that (in the Leeds store at least) The Works are currently selling mini graphic novels featuring classic Marvel stories.

They're about the size of a paperback book, printed on glossy paper, full colour and about 200 pages (at a guess).

They've got a couple of Spider-Man ones (including the 'Death of Captain Stacey' storyline with lovely John Romita art), a couple of Hulk ones (early Herb Trimpe stuff), a couple of Fantastic Four ones (Kirby), a couple of X Men (Chris Claremont era) and a Venom one.

They're 3 for £5 which is a right bargain. I'm off in today to get me a Spidey/Hulk/FF combo.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

SmallBlueThing

These are great, and a bargain at full price, let alone on offer. I have a bunch, which are split between my eldest and me, with me enjoying a cheap and easy way to fead a big long run of ff.
The only problem is the print size makes them a little challenging if your eyesight's not perfect, and you sometimes have to crack the spines to work out what's going on in the crease.

SBT

Colin YNWA

Uh thanks for the heads up. Those sound excellent I'll pop down to the local works today and fingers crossed. I use this type of thing to give as gifts to the kids of friends and family to try to lure them into my dark world...

... of comic collecting I should point out!!!

Spaceghost

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 07 September, 2011, 09:13:50 AM
you sometimes have to crack the spines to work out what's going on in the crease.

Must you constantly bring up your appalling sexual proclivities?

Got 3 of these lovelies today, Spider-Man - The Death of Captain Stacy, Hulk - This Monster Unleashed and Fantastic Four - Where Stalks the Sandman.

They remind me of the old Marvel Digest pocketbooks my Dad used to bring home when I was a nipper. Hope my lad enjoys them as much as me.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

pauljholden

You can also get these in The Works in Norn Iron.

-pj

WoD

James Stacey

meant to go look at lunchtime but I forgot.

dracula1

Darren Stephens

Ill have a look in Portsmouth tomorrow, fingers crossed.  :)
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

Ignatzmonster

Quote from: Lee Bates on 07 September, 2011, 03:31:31 PM
They remind me of the old Marvel Digest pocketbooks my Dad used to bring home when I was a nipper. Hope my lad enjoys them as much as me.

Loved these things as a kid too. Reread Captain America chopping off the head of Baron Blood thousands of times.

Colin YNWA

Popped into the Rotherham Branch and there they were, thanks for the heads up. What an interesting selection. Bought 6 to stock pile stuff to give away. Would be really interesting to see the thought process behind the selections which are so diverse. Anyway Almost got a copy of the book that contains 'God loves Man Kills' but the reproduction size really doesn't do it a service, which isn't an issue on most the stuff I should point out.

James Stacey

Quote from: WoD on 07 September, 2011, 03:53:15 PM
Any in Cardiff?
Yep. A spiderman one, a venom one, 2 Hulks, a Fantastic 4 and an Iron man one off the top of my head. Also a making of Kick Ass book for a quid ninety nine.

Dandontdare

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 08 September, 2011, 08:27:22 AM
Would be really interesting to see the thought process behind the selections which are so diverse.

With these shops it's usually just whatever they've over-printed or that hasn't sold.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Dandontdare on 08 September, 2011, 05:02:45 PM
Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 08 September, 2011, 08:27:22 AM
Would be really interesting to see the thought process behind the selections which are so diverse.

With these shops it's usually just whatever they've over-printed or that hasn't sold.

Sorry didn't mean in The Works meant Marvel's selection of these titles to include in this 'digest' format.

Darren Stephens

Got three of these today. Fantastic Four: Where stalks the Sandman? Hulk: The monster unleashed and the only Spiderman one they had, Riot at Rykers Island, featuring lots of great Jon Haward artwork, amongst others. Lovely stuff. Thanks for the tipoff, Lee.  ;)
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^