Main Menu

Tharg’s 2020 in Review - Best Special

Started by Colin YNWA, 29 December, 2020, 12:01:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Here's a thing to put into context why specials in 2020 deserve their own category to celebrate them - there was one less Special this year than there was Megazines! So while this might seem like the equivalent for the Best Oscar for a Documentary Film - I love documentary films and there are more of them than you might expect!

What is your favourite Special of 2020 - well I'm going to provide a list in my next post in a sec of all the specials listed in the webstore - please let me know if I've missed any.

Format is easy. Simply look at the list in the next post - and post your top three in a reply to this thread - just make sure to clearly indicate your order using the format below - with the points awarded for each placing:

(1st, foremost and best) = 5 points
(2nd runner up) = 3 points
(Bronze who cares really) = 1 point

If you don't make it clear I'll award all your mentioned votes 3 points each.

The vote will run for a week and I'll announce the winner early Monday 4th January... hopefully...

If you have any questions just ask and I'll wing it as normal...

Colin YNWA

broodblik

1. Smash Special
2. Battle Special
3. 2000AD Sci-Fi Special
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Colin YNWA

Oh and this one won't finish on Monday 4th at all - let's say Thursday 7th shall we?

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

Based on the amount of rereading and wotnot:

1. John Steel Thriller Picture Library
2. Smash!
3. 2000AD Sci-Fi Special

But bubbling under were Roy of the Rovers, Sexton Blake, Misty & Scream and Tammy & Jinty. Best Specials year ever.

SBT

abelardsnazz

1. 2000AD Sci-Fi Special
2. Misty Winter Special
3. Misty and Scream Special

AlexF

I haven't read all of these so feel a bit like it';s cheating for me to vote, but in any event...

1) Action 2020 (and I'd be lying if I said that the bagged mini-edition of an old Action comic wasn't a big draw, too)
2) Tammy & Jinty
3) Roy of the Rovers (no interest myself but my 11 year olds liked it, and I did end up leafing through it and it's good comics. More than can be said for some of the pure nostalgia-fests of other specials that purported to be aimed at kids)

Sean SD

1. SMASH! 2020 SPECIAL

2. 2000AD SCI-FI SPECIAL 2020

3. BATTLE SPECIAL 2020

TordelBack

I too haven't read anything like them all,  and I thought I'd been assiduous in my HoT reading since I switched over to digital/never leaving the house. Pretty amazing output,  all things considered.  But of the ones I did read:

1. 2000AD Sci-Fi Special 2020. Great choice of reprint backing new material.
2. Smash!  Special 2020. Amazing art. And Mytek!
3. Tammy & Jinty 2020. Maybe not as good as the 2019 one, but still very enjoyable.

Colin YNWA

Yeah can only vote on what we've read so I'm going

1st 2000ad Sci-fi Special
2nd Battle (of Britain) Special
3rd Tammy and Jinty Special

That was tough as the specials where really strong this year.

Colin YNWA

Oh and I'll close this on Wednesday 6th Jan

Colin YNWA

Closing this one down in the morning so get any votes in today - there's still room to move at the tipperty top and 9 out of the 11 candidates have already placed!

IndigoPrime

1. 2000 AD SF by a country mile
2. Misty & Scream
3. Smash!