Main Menu

Prog 2380 - By Steed and Steel!

Started by Colin YNWA, 28 April, 2024, 06:38:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Ohhhh I really like that one too. What its it about me and Tharg always disagreeing about the best design for a cover!

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

nxylas

Can we take a moment to mourn the passing of, um, Burt in this week's Damage Report?
AIEEEEEE! It's the...THING from the HELL PLANET!

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 01 May, 2024, 07:45:38 PMTharg wanted him on horseback but here is the full article
That's quite the development for a single cover. I wonder what happens to the other completed one? It's surely good enough for a Star Scan when there's an empty page begging?

Woolly

Brilliant as all those alternative covers are, I think Tharg made the right choice.
Aquila on horseback just looks all the more powerful and intriguing.

Either way, it's John McCrea. Absolute win regardless!

Woolly

Only read Dredd so far, and I'm absolutely loving it!

Rob Williams has (for me) really nailed writing Dredd since the whole 'Titan/Enceladus/gettin'-a-bit-cold-innit' stuff. For him to follow up 'A Better World' with Dredd facing off Mega-Shako (Shaknado?) is inspired!

And just how good is RM Guera shaping up to be a Dredd artist! Brilliant brushwork, and a perfect understanding of the man under the uniform. As important a new Dredd artist as Dan Cornwell. Keep feeding them scripts Tharg!

Finally Giulia Brusco's colours. Perfect to a degree that I'm not really smart enough to explain. I just really like them, they compliment the linework perfectly.

(Annie Parkhouse should get a mention too, now I think about it. I always find it a bit weird that the best lettering always goes completely unnoticed. As it should, I guess!)

norton canes

Oops, bit late on this. Though we're at one of those stages where the strips are comfortably into their runs, so it's pretty much 'as you were' - P. Vex and Brink narrowly ahead of 'R&TWT&C' and Aquila, with Indigo Prime continuing to confound. The McCrea droid smashes another cover.

Obviously it's not a bad thing to have Henry Flint on the first chapter of your new strip - quite the opposite, in fact - but now it's become indelibly associated with Jake Lynch, I wonder how the protagonists might have looked if he'd been on it from the start? 

norton canes

Vector14

I can see that Proteus Vex is good, and it's a top thrill for most people here but I'm not really getting into it. I haven't read any of the previous series so I don't know whats going on.

Does the Another Dawn graphic novel cover everything up until now? I get the feeling it doesn't.

broodblik

Quote from: Vector14 on 07 May, 2024, 12:32:00 AMDoes the Another Dawn graphic novel cover everything up until now? I get the feeling it doesn't.

No it does not it covers the first two series:
Another Dawn (2162-2169 & 2171)
The Shadow Chancellor (2212-2219 & 2221-2223)
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

IndigoPrime

FWIW, the Hachette book adds Desire Paths 2262–2274. So Crawlspace (2312–2324) And Devious (2375–ongoing) remain uncollected.

Vector14

Looks like I'll just have to remain confused for now. Jake Lynch's art is fantastic on this so still plenty to enjoy.

Trooper McFad

Quote from: Vector14 on 07 May, 2024, 12:32:00 AMI can see that Proteus Vex is good, and it's a top thrill for most people here but I'm not really getting into it. I haven't read any of the previous series so I don't know whats going on.

Does the Another Dawn graphic novel cover everything up until now? I get the feeling it doesn't.

I was the same when jumped in at "the shadow chancellor" then when it was collected with "another dawn" I got the digital version and everything made much more sense and now it's a story I look forward to when it's on a run.
I'm currently at the same "lost" feeling with Brink!! I will get round to reading it as a continuous run and see if it all clicks
Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

Vector14

Quote from: Trooper McFad on 07 May, 2024, 11:19:23 AM
Quote from: Vector14 on 07 May, 2024, 12:32:00 AMI can see that Proteus Vex is good, and it's a top thrill for most people here but I'm not really getting into it. I haven't read any of the previous series so I don't know whats going on.

I was the same when jumped in at "the shadow chancellor" then when it was collected with "another dawn" I got the digital version and everything made much more sense and now it's a story I look forward to when it's on a run.
I'm currently at the same "lost" feeling with Brink!! I will get round to reading it as a continuous run and see if it all clicks

I have no problem with Brink. I read all the previous books before getting back into the weekly prog.
And it was a big reason for me returning to 2000AD too.I highly recommend reading back from book 1.

I was actually a bit worried I wouldnt enjoy this series as much as it'll be the first Brink I read in weekly chunks.

So far so good though.

Funt Solo

I sometimes think of Proteus Vex as Shakara: Plus One.
An angry person from the nineties who needs to get a room.