Threadjacking!

Started by Proudhuff, 11 June, 2012, 02:32:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Doctor Alt 8

Forget it....

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Frank

Quote from: Trout on 24 May, 2014, 03:34:02 PM
I also hope to find widespread discussion of 2000AD at derbycounty.com.

Can't help you there, but here's a post I made on a politics forum during discussion of Thursday's election results:

QuoteRorschach's not the protagonist, he's just the most entertaining character. He doesn't do anything in the story other than beat folk up, and his 'investigation' leads nowhere (in fact, he's reluctant to even suspect [spoiler]Adrian Veidt[/spoiler]). The most consequential act he performs in the entire story is to mail a letter.

The fact that it's an extract from Rorschach's diary which opens the narrative, with its Marlowe-by-way-of-Bickle prose, tricks the reader into thinking it's going to be a detective story told from his point of view, but we're treated to a tour round the heads of another five characters during the course of the story, sometimes through text inserts purporting to be their (auto)biographies.

The comic doesn't have a central character, or any one person through whom the reader experiences the narrative, which means all the characters end up being developed and nuanced portraits of what feel like the real and fallible individuals whose fragility, complexity and inter-relatedness end up fascinating Dr Manhattan so. The costumed characters end up saving the world, not through superheroics or with one mighty leap, but because they fucked up and are so fucked up themselves.

Trout

Quote from: The Cosh on 24 May, 2014, 04:22:26 PM
Quote from: Trout on 24 May, 2014, 03:34:02 PM
Quote from: Professor Bear on 24 May, 2014, 02:47:45 PM
I agree, this forum is hardly the place to discuss a niche interest.

Correct. I also hope to find widespread discussion of 2000AD at derbycounty.com.
Can't help youthere, but here's a threadfrom mildly popular indie music website drownedinsound which correctly identifies Midnight Surfer as best ever Dredd story in the first post.

Thank you. I fear the original intent if this thread has been lost. Once, it was a place where tongue-in-cheek complaints could be made with impunity. Now it's a place where no one dare point out that Farscape was a bit shit.  ;)

Professor Bear

To be fair, no-one mentions it because it goes without saying.

I, Cosh

Sorry. I just wanted to keep  the "can't help you there" theme running.
We never really die.

Trout

Quote from: The Cosh on 25 May, 2014, 01:25:29 AM
Sorry. I just wanted to keep  the "can't help you there" theme running.

No apologies needed. Unless you are an incongruous muppet.

Dandontdare

Have you ever met a congruous muppet?

Trout

Must... resist... obvious... answer...  ;)

TordelBack

My kids ended up a church service this morning because I was unexpectedly working and the good woman doing something for her work at the church (don't ask) - and there was less chance of being squashed by a Himac with her than with me.  It dawned on us (as atheists) that the kids have only ever been in churches as tourist attractions (my youngest described the church as 'that tower'), and a few weddings, none recently.  I tell them Bible stories in the same way I tell/read them stories from other mythologies (for as such I see them), because it's an important part of their culture - and hypocritically I can't abide people not knowing their Bible.  So I was very keen to see what they had made of it all. 

Both enjoyed the singing, and apparently there were scones and sambos after which went down very well indeed.  I pressed the eldest (8) for what he had learnt about Christianity, and he looked thoughtful and said 'that Jesus created all the animals as well as the people'.  'Aren't you confusing Jesus with God?', I asked him rather disingenuously.

"Well, they have quite similar origins", he says.  "Jesus was born in a farmyard, and God was cut from the belly of a Titan".  That's my boy.

CrazyFoxMachine

Quote from: TordelBack on 25 May, 2014, 10:39:11 PM

"Well, they have quite similar origins", he says.  "Jesus was born in a farmyard, and God was cut from the belly of a Titan".  That's my boy.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

JamesC

scones and sambos after which went down very well indeed. 

I don't know what that is but it sounds racist!

TordelBack

Quote from: JamesC on 26 May, 2014, 08:45:30 AM
scones and sambos after which went down very well indeed. 

I don't know what that is but it sounds racist!

File with 'niggardly', 'fag' and (for more regional parole) 'Gaybo'.

Hawkmumbler

Holy shit! I WORK at that dive centre! Franticly been calling my boss to check she's OK, found out she's been up all night negotiating with (in order) the feckin eejits who work next door, the fire fighters, the land lord, the eejits, the land lord and the eejits, the fire fighters, the police, the bank, the eejits and finally going to bed at 9 this morning. I swear, if I ever get my hands on the 'garage mechanics' I'll wring their neck. We operate on compressed air and nitrox for gods sake! If it hadn't been for a single, wafer thing wall the whole of Bolton would just be a damn crater about now! Worst of all! Even though we can go in the centre again after three days we can't start up the compressor for another week until the air has cleared! I'm more pissed off than I have any right to be, but the worst thing is, it isn't the first time this has happened!

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news/11235916.Fire_rips_through_mill_used_by_diving_club/

Dandontdare

Good Grud, 7,000 posts!

Should I be celebrating or getting a life?

mogzilla

don't get into an argument with an idiot,he'll drag you down to his level then win with experience.