Main Menu

Threadjacking!

Started by Proudhuff, 11 June, 2012, 02:32:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Theblazeuk

Martha Washington is the one that stuns me out of his back catalogue.

Citi-Def_Joe

Always a shame to see some one who once clearly had "it" to loose "it".
Not just his decidedly dodgy semi facistic views but also the loss of his artistry judging from some of his more recent efforts.
Perhaps he has harboured his views for a while, so be it but he was once a true great storyteller and artist, I can't compute that the man who did such great things with Daredevil, Batman and his own creations is now producing such utter rubbish

Sometimes maybe it is better to burn out than fade away

Hawkmumbler

I've always considered Millers body of work over rated. Really, he was never that great.

Greg M.

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 07 October, 2015, 03:13:48 PM
Really, he was never that great.

Really, he was. When we're talking about the era-defining greats of sequential art, Miller absolutely has a seat at the table. The passage of time, his wildly controversial personal beliefs, and the appropriation of his techniques and ideas by later creators may all have obscured this, but in his day, Miller was a remarkable and innovative storyteller. Nothing can change that.

TordelBack

Ah hey. I can get as good a hate on for Miller as the next man, but there are only four bat-books on my bookshelf, and two of them are his (and Janson's and Mazzuchelli's, obv). Add Daredevil, Elektra, Martha Washington and even the first stretch of Sin City, and the guy was one of the all-time greats.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Tordelback on 07 October, 2015, 06:33:39 PM
the guy was one of the all-time greats.

He was. I miss that Frank Miller.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Definitely Not Mister Pops

The are pages of TDKR that I have stared at again and again. Miller's art has always been fairly static, but he was an absolute genius at framing panels to create action and tension.
You may quote me on that.

sheridan

Quote from: IAMTHESYSTEM on 04 October, 2015, 11:32:30 AM
He's looking rather sprightly for an old rocker. My old Boss used to work for him as a cleaner/washer up. It's a small world after all.

I was thinking it must have been a picture from the late seventies / early eighties, before I worked out it was his son next to him...

Hawkmumbler

Nah, never much cared for TDKR, or indeed his run on Daredevil. Sin City is excruciating nonsense and 300 utter drivel.

And don't get me started on Holy Terror. 

Richmond Clements

But you don't have to like TDKR to recognise that it redefined comics and comic storytelling - not just Batman, but comics as a medium.

Hawkmumbler

Oh, I'll grant it that. It truly was a game changer, I just honestly don't see why everyone rates it so highly.

But ain't that the beauty of comics? The fact we can all agree to disagree 'starts nervously sweating'.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 08 October, 2015, 10:33:12 AM
Oh, I'll grant it that. It truly was a game changer, I just honestly don't see why everyone rates it so highly.

But ain't that the beauty of comics? The fact we can all agree to disagree 'starts nervously sweating'.

SAY YOU LIKE TDKR, OR I'LL KILL YOU AND YOUR FAMILY.

Er, sorry. Just trying to get good at the internet.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Satanist

That reads just like it was said by THE GAWDDAMNED BATMAN!
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

SuperSurfer

When TDKR came along, US superhero comics were in a bit of a rut. Frank Miller's work really did come across as ground breaking at the time. He wasn't the greatest artist or the greatest writer but a superb storyteller.

Goaty

Jock been teasing on Instagram that he doing DKIII. Guess it sequel to Dark Knight Return...?