Main Menu

Links to film reviews and reaction posts

Started by a chosen rider, 12 July, 2012, 11:37:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fisticuffs

My opinion of Empire has drastically dropped this past year, they've got too big I think, too in bed with some big directors and too much at stake to criticise where it's due.

wadew1

Reviews that don't gush over EVERY MOMENT and comparisons to The Raid are to be expected. What's important is that every review I've read seems to be positive.

CraveNoir

Reveals 96 minutes rutime.

At a time when most comicbook adaptations try to be all things to all people, "Dredd" makes the radical choice of playing to the base. Dredd-heads disappointed by the creative liberties and concessions to conventionality made by the Stallone version will find little reason to quibble with the determined and unapologetic approach to the one-man judge, jury and executioner here...

The film's unforgiving version of Dredd is something of a cross between Christian Bale's Batman and Clint Eastwood's Man With No Name. He's a badass of few words and a gravelly voice. While Urban isn't permitted to reveal much humanity behind the man (we never even get a peek at Dredd's eyes beneath his uniform helmet, let alone his soul), he does a fine job embodying the more mythic qualities of Dredd as an upright law enforcer no lowlife would want to confront...

Anthony Dod Mantle's cinematography, which eschews the jittery handheld imagery of Travis' earlier films for more careful compositions...

DeFuzzed

Quote from: CraveNoir on 12 July, 2012, 10:55:56 PM
Anthony Dod Mantle's cinematography, which eschews the jittery handheld imagery of Travis' earlier films for more careful compositions...[/i]

Yay for no handheld jitteryness. I was prepared to risk the motion sickness for Dredd but it's much better to not have to.

And this has been the longest I've been online since I don't know when. Waiting for SDCC panel reports, vids, pics and reviews and tweets. Every crumb.

ming

Quote from: CraveNoir on 12 July, 2012, 09:13:28 PM

I liked that Slashfilm review; again, very positive and by people completely ignorant of the source material.  Their basic opinion: solid.

"You'd think that there's probably no new way to see someone, y'know, get shot, but there's at least ten in this movie..."

:)

MR. ELIMINATOR

Funny how Empire give the Raid 5 stars, and Dredd 3, even though he is saying they are too similar?

CYCLOPZ

Quote from: MR. ELIMINATOR on 12 July, 2012, 11:30:45 PM
Funny how Empire give the Raid 5 stars, and Dredd 3, even though he is saying they are too similar?

Chris Hewitt is famous for being the man who once gave Attack of the Clones 5 stars.

JOE SOAP

Similar but different films.

MR. ELIMINATOR

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 12 July, 2012, 11:57:24 PM

Similar but different films.

Yeah, but he is using the similarities as a negative on Dredd which is just annoying. It even seems he is aware that Dredd started first but doesn't seem to take it into account.

Is it so wrong of them just to say they are both good?

JOE SOAP

Quote from: MR. ELIMINATOR on 13 July, 2012, 12:25:47 AM
Is it so wrong of them just to say they are both good?

The Raid out-does anything else in its class so by comparing them he's saying the Raid is a better film, but, it's like saying 'the Raid' is a bad film because it's not as good a 'Dredd' film as Dredd is. Nonsense.

The star-rating system is such a load of abstract bollocks anyway.

MR. ELIMINATOR

Quite liked this review on rotten tomatoes.

"Makes Dirty Harry look like 12 Angry Men"

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 13 July, 2012, 12:32:20 AM

The star-rating system is such a load of abstract bollocks anyway.

Yeah, it would seem more logical to have 5 people of different tastes rate it, and if all 5 people liked it, then it's 5 stars. Seems much better then the opinion of an asshole like him. He and I clearly don't have the same opinion of films (Raid was good, but best action movie in dacades? No.) so his review is pointless, but his will be paid more attention to as it is for a magazine.

Come to think of it, are Empire good for anything? I would say movie news but they are always a couple of days late at that too!

CYCLOPZ

Michaelvk

Quote from: CYCLOPZ on 13 July, 2012, 01:07:50 AM
Quote from: CraveNoir on 12 July, 2012, 07:13:50 PM
The Geek Tyrant review is also on youtube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2i-Y8jtPZ5Q

I think they went in expecting to see Avengers Assemble.

Got about halfway through and decided I couldn't stand them..
You have never felt pain until you've trodden barefoot on an upturned lego brick..

Beeks

Quote from: Michaelvk on 13 July, 2012, 01:21:19 AM
Quote from: CYCLOPZ on 13 July, 2012, 01:07:50 AM
Quote from: CraveNoir on 12 July, 2012, 07:13:50 PM
The Geek Tyrant review is also on youtube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2i-Y8jtPZ5Q

I think they went in expecting to see Avengers Assemble.

Got about halfway through and decided I couldn't stand them..

To be fair the tall guy hasn't got a clue about Dredd and the worst comment they made was there are 'better action movies out there' but on the whole the review was pretty positive
"We keep on being told that religion, whatever its imperfections, at least instills morality. On every side, there is conclusive evidence that the contrary is the case and that faith causes people to be more mean, more selfish, and perhaps above all, more stupid." ― Christopher Hitchens